Power loss at track

tjyyzacc

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra, 2017 Giulia Quadrifoglio
It was a gorgeous 90 degree day at CTMP just outside Toronto yesterday, and being at the track is always a blast. That said, I’ve had trouble the last two times I’ve been. I’m losing power in dramatic fashion, and sometimes in as little as two laps. According to the car’s own horsepower meter I’m making somewhere near 450hp (on a BM3 tune, stage 2, 93 oct) when everything is working just fine, but at some point during every session the car suddenly shuts off the power and I’m stuck with 260hp.

Sadly, I just don’t know what the issue is. There is no warning, no error message, no dash lights. The coolant temperature had never been an issue, but I swapped the remote radiators between track days for larger Koyo rads with the futile hope that would help, which it didn’t. The oil temperature was also well within reasonable tolerances. At my first track day of the year I didn’t have the tune and I also had no issues at all, so I see the writing on the wall here, but the truth is that I don’t want to give up the extra power if I don’t have to.

I’d be happy to hear any advice from someone more knowledgeable than me or somebody who has experienced a similar issue.
Sponsored

Darth

First Name
Ali
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
02 S2k, 09 Aerorace, 07 Y61, 14 1500 Denali
Vehicle Showcase
Do you get this code when the car shuts off the power? (10D000: - Engine torque limit active)

OP
OP

tjyyzacc

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Not that I noticed and I feel like I was paying attention. No codes of any sort that I saw.

Darth

First Name
Ali
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
02 S2k, 09 Aerorace, 07 Y61, 14 1500 Denali
Vehicle Showcase
This code won't show in the dash or anywhere in the car unless you scan it once it happened.

OP
OP

tjyyzacc

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
I didn’t scan it as I’d left it at home, so I’ve got nothing on this I’m afraid.

Ozzy8690

First Name
Ozzy
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
14’ Turbo Ultramarine FRS, 2020 Downshift Blue Supra 3.0 premium
I’ve had the same issues even on the street. Seems to be linked to traction control and the transmission trying to save itself or something. There was a thread on it a while back. But I’m still having the issue. I’m on BM3 as well and my tuner is trying to sort the issues out with PTF. I’m starting to wonder if ecutek cars deal with the same thing.

OP
OP

tjyyzacc

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
I also posted this under the ECU thread, so I’m hoping someone (maybe BootMod themselves) will chime in with something. I was comfortable effectively voiding my warranty because BM3 has a good reputation, but I’ll admit to being concerned/irritated at the moment.

Ozzy8690

First Name
Ozzy
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Same! I’ve been very frustrated for quite some time now. Especially since I’ve been “e tuning” for over a month now and now we have to start over...

OP
OP

tjyyzacc

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
I’ve sent an email to my tuner to see if they’ve had any other complaints and whether they have a solution in mind. I may also give Ecutek a look. I just wanted the easiest way to make some extra horsepower for the track, but when you pay 100% to be there and only get to drive for 25-50% of the session something needs to change.

Ozzy8690

First Name
Ozzy
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
I’ve sent an email to my tuner to see if they’ve had any other complaints and whether they have a solution in mind. I may also give Ecutek a look. I just wanted the easiest way to make some extra horsepower for the track, but when you pay 100% to be there and only get to drive for 25-50% of the session something needs to change.
Oh definitely. I feel the same way. If there ends up being no solution. I guess that a good chunk of change down the drain and having to shell out more money for ecutek sucks too lol

Pacchin55

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 GR Supra
I'm on an ECUTEK stage 1 tune and have the same problem. 2-3 laps then its heat soaked and I notice a huge drop in power. No codes. Going from hitting 130 on the straight to barely hitting 120mph. I run open track events and usually get about 30 mins between sessions and so I don't really get much time between sessions to cool down. After this I removed the center grill since the bottom portion is blocked off in order to allow the engine to warm up faster in colder climates, but is bad for the track. Will be testing it out again this weekend in 90 degree weather to see if there are any improvements.

Nytrajin

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Stinger GT, GR Supra
Threadsurrection, don't run ots standard fuel maps, datalogs show consistent knock detection, it may be doing this to prevent the knock. Canadian fuel is ACN fuel according to rktunes and the best local subie tuner where I am. Tuning subies is literally like tuning glass motors, if anyone knows our fuel, it's most likely subie tuners. I noticed this and started logging after I did a few 1/4mi runs against a stock M4 back when I was using bm3 stage 2 91 filled up with shell 91, and stock tune to get the same results against the M4.
I strongly recommend getting a custom tune, the bm3 ots maps are just really crappy maps from my experience with our fuel, twitchy throttle and no power gain over stock from what I've learned. I've done plenty of runs against stock cars with stock map, stage 1 and stage 2. I sent them logs showing missed boost targets by 3 psi anytime the car goes beyond 4000rpm, and after several emails back and forth explaining to their tuner that I'm not dumb and this ain't the first, nor the most aggressively, tuned car I've driven, I got a final response showing a datalog with a completely different log and chart from some other mystery source explaining that everything is running fine. They literally sent me some other mystery source datalog telling me everything is fine and closed the support ticket lol.

I have several other stories from BMW friends in line with this. One of em is just downright ridiculous where they claimed the person's car had no rev matching out the factory door nor in the ots map; the car literally revs to matching rpms points based on the gate the shifter enters but they insisted on the car not having a rev matching and closed the support ticket.

OP
OP

tjyyzacc

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
So, here’s the latest and I apologize for not posting this at the end of last summer.
I was continuing to have issues at each track day until my tuner reached out to me and told me there was potentially some sort of fuel shut-off issue, but if I just ran with a full tank all the time I shouldn’t have the issue. Seemed a little crazy to me, but at the following track day I filled my tank after each twenty-minute session and experienced no problems at all. The issue was effectively cured. I do attend events where sessions are longer than twenty minutes, and I’ve yet to run the tank below half since this fix, however in this case a full tank worked like a charm! It’s not a perfect solution, but it works for me.

nibble

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
BMW, Honda, Toyota
that's interesting and reminds me of old 350z issue. They used to get fuel starvation issue just below 70% full tank. we used to joke about that...

just an FYI, stock Supra does not have this issue as I do run on track 'til 1 bar left on the gauge.
Sponsored