Power Off When?

jtsang25

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2009 BMW 135i, 2020 Toyota GR Supra
Or change the settings to automatically power down when you open the door to get out. You know, like every single other car I've ever owned over the last 40 plus years. I've said this in a previous thread. Defaulting to the power remaining on for like 6 minutes AFTER I've turned the car off and left is one of the dumbest things ever. Sure, locking the doors will shut it down. However, I leave the car unlocked, keys inside while parked in my closed and locked garage. What purpose does draining the battery for 6 or 7 minutes every evening serve?

I've also previously asked if anyone can come up with a scenario where power staying active AFTER I shut the car off, get out, and close the door is useful. No one was able to come up with anything. I put this "feature" right up there with our Toyota Venza remote start that shuts the engine off when you open the door to get it. I classify both as WTF were they thinking situations.
Well with the venza its a safety thing. If the car didn't turn off after remote start when you opened the door someone could break in and take off with the car without the key.
Sponsored

jchadwell

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 3.0 Premium
Well with the venza its a safety thing. If the car didn't turn off after remote start when you opened the door someone could break in and take off with the car without the key.
Nope. This is not correct. It's not a safety thing. It's simply dumb. Others on the Venza forums have said the same thing but also didn't think it through. We currently have 4 vehicles with remote start - 2018 Chevy Malibu, 2014 Ford F-150, 2019 F-150, and the Venza. In all but the Venza, the engine does NOT shut off but you MUST have the key fob or key (2014 F-150) in your possession. With the fob/key in your possession, you press the start button (or for the 2014 F-150, put the key in the ignition and turn it to the run position) before putting the vehicle in gear to drive off. If you try to put the vehicle in gear without a key or key fob present, the engine stops. I also believe the engine stops if a door is opened without using the fob/key/key pad (meaning breaking in). However, I'd have to break in to the car to test this so not positive. Bottom line no gas no squeegee (sorry, dumb humor) AKA no key or key fob no stealing the car...