Praise, complements, and questions - hate isn’t the problem

Lendo

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 3.0 Premium (sold)
Went to Dutch Bros yesterday to the walkup window to grab a coffee. 2 LV Metro officers waiting for coffee and we start talking about cars since they saw me pull up in the Supra and they were very interested in seeing one up close. Both are gear heads apparently.

Once we got our coffee, they wanted to see the car so I showed them the interior and the story on how I ended up with the car. As we were discussing cars I got the idea of a street race against their Ford Explorer Eco Boost.

The one officer knew I was joking but the other didn't so we had a good laugh over it :headbang:
Sponsored

antonio88x

First Name
Antonio
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra 3.0 Premium (mine), 2018 CX-5 GT (wife's)
Was at the Shell station closest to my house late last night. All 6 pumps open both sides. I start fueling and a C8 pulls in and takes the same pump. I’m thinking, “oh here we go.”

A woman gets out of it. She’s bigger and quite possibly uglier than me. “This can’t be happening,” I thought. She looks at my car, and says, “Wanna trade?” “For real?” I managed to say in a falsetto voice that caught me off guard and kinda creeped me out.

“You afraid you can’t handle an American mid-engine V-8?” she fired back. I replied, this time several octaves lower, “you think you can handle a German-Japanese turbo-charged beast?” We shook hands after fueling and set off each in the other’s car.

I didn’t know how long exactly I was supposed to be driving her car. Maybe I wouldn’t ever see my Supra again! But I thought this is an opportunity, so I took the lead and headed to a shorter (5 mile) stretch of toll road where there was likely to be no one and no cops.

We roll raced for a while, pushed them until the limiter kicked in in my car, and I discovered there isn’t one in the C8 (my asshole seriously puckered around 180). Good god.

After almost an hour of fun, we exited and swapped cars again. She said, “here’s my number, call me if you want to do it again. The Supra is a beast like you said” and handed me a piece of paper.
WTF did I just read? ?

puzzled

First Name
Calvin
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra Premium; VA STI; MK7 GOLF-R; etc..

romanLegion9574

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Toyota Supra 3.0, 2023 Toyota GRC Core
Because most muscle car owners are driving v4s and ecoboosts, or weigh 4k+ pounds. Where I live there are endless cheap MOPARS, mustangs and camaros. Endless base models rolling around. They see the Supra and question their life choices haha. Many also have no clue what it is so they don't know if they should challenge the Supra! Joking but yeesh, I can't even tell you how many chargers I see a day.
I have to agree on the frequency of them. Not as many in Seattle due to gas prices, smaller parking spots, etc (the usual), along with people here having a taste for imports but there are tons of them as you drive into the mountains/countryside.

I've had some positive interactions from an older couple with an Ecoboost Mustang -- they told me they considered the Supra, but it's harder to get in and out of -- and a separate one with a guy who bought a police Charger. Seems like the trick is getting out of the car.

puzzled

First Name
Calvin
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra Premium; VA STI; MK7 GOLF-R; etc..
.. I do tend to fall in and out of my car. I should place soft tiles in my landing area on the garage floor before I crack my crack.

OP
OP
H2O_Doc

H2O_Doc

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
M240i, Wrangler, MB GLA 250
I have to agree on the frequency of them. Not as many in Seattle due to gas prices, smaller parking spots, etc (the usual), along with people here having a taste for imports but there are tons of them as you drive into the mountains/countryside.

I've had some positive interactions from an older couple with an Ecoboost Mustang -- they told me they considered the Supra, but it's harder to get in and out of -- and a separate one with a guy who bought a police Charger. Seems like the trick is getting out of the car.
To that guy’s credit, those police Chargers are infused with the smell of glazed donuts. Hard to beat donut smell, albeit stripper smell is pretty cool.

OP
OP
H2O_Doc

H2O_Doc

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Guy at the KFC ahead of me in a Focus ST waited for me to exit and I was anticipating a BMW crack or something. Nice guy just wanted to say “hey, man, nice Supra.” I returned the compliment noting to him that an ST is a “car-guy’s car” (in my opinion). He seemed to appreciate that.

still not encountering the hate (thankfully).

on an aside: NEVER look at the calorie information at KFC (especially not for the Nashville Hot chicken)

Another aside: don’t ask me to explain my dietary choices.

Willow1308

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
I have lots of fun vechicles...
I am a huge Toyota fan and I was pretty disappointed when the Supra was first announced with the BMW drivetrain. I did my share of BMW bashing My wife had an RCF and I had an ISF along with a Scion XB, so I love my Toyotas..

I finally got the chance to take a look at the car in person and warmed up to its BMW lineage and took the plunge. It has been an amazing car so far and for the money its a hard car to beat for the amount of performance you get. Completely changed the way I look at european cars

I still get on the Lexus groups and still see RCF/ISF owners bashing these cars.. Only argument they have is that their cars are more reliable... :doh:
I love the BMW heritage in the new Supra!

BMW has rich history of beautifully engineered vehicles!

Love this 1980 BMW M1...

1980-bmw-m1-ahg-owned-by-paul-walker-photo-by-bring-a-trailer_100777406_h.jpg

Last edited:

Guardbuddy

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0 Premium
Guy at the KFC ahead of me in a Focus ST waited for me to exit and I was anticipating a BMW crack or something. Nice guy just wanted to say “hey, man, nice Supra.” I returned the compliment noting to him that an ST is a “car-guy’s car” (in my opinion). He seemed to appreciate that.

still not encountering the hate (thankfully).

on an aside: NEVER look at the calorie information at KFC (especially not for the Nashville Hot chicken)

Another aside: don’t ask me to explain my dietary choices.
Haha, had a similar situation. I got the Supra not more than a few days ago and got the same compliment as you did when I went to an In-N-Out. This car certainly gets a lot of positive attention :) its really nice to see other people happy to see it!

Loco38SUP

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 GR Supra 3.0 (Renaissance Red)
I had a cop that was BS’ing with another cop at Fred Meyers yell “Is that a Supra?” when I pulled into the parking lot. Even cops get in their fun.

On Saturday I was washing the car in my driveway and a little girl told her Mom it was a cool car. I was shocked that even little kids recognize the Supra is a special car.

This afternoon I went for my usual Sunday cruise when a modded G37 pulled up to me and started revving his engine. We were doing 30mph when I hit the throttle and got sideways in my lane. He rolled his window down gave me a thumbs up then backed off. ?

-RJM

Last edited:

BA9092

First Name
Christian
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 GR Supra Absolute Zero Premium
I got a "nice car, man!" along with a ? from a guy in a monstrous pick-up truck.

Late last Friday I saw a group of young boys walking home from school and they were yelling "rev it! rev it!" so I downshifted in Sport and gave them some nice crackles and pops. They all jumped up and cheered. ?

OP
OP
H2O_Doc

H2O_Doc

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Had an interesting one earlier this week. At the Chick-fil-A and the attendant guy at the drive through went nuts for the Supra, really quite excited and told me how great the Supra was. He asked about mods and I told him. He followed up with “My ‘99 Civic will still gap you.” To which I replied, “oh ok, but you’d still drive home in a ‘99 Civic.” His coworkers gave out a good laugh and he took it well.

I’m looking at ‘99 Civics now, I hear those things really move. .

AustinGRSupra

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 GR Supra
Had an interesting one earlier this week. At the Chick-fil-A and the attendant guy at the drive through went nuts for the Supra, really quite excited and told me how great the Supra was. He asked about mods and I told him. He followed up with “My ‘99 Civic will still gap you.” To which I replied, “oh ok, but you’d still drive home in a ‘99 Civic.” His coworkers gave out a good laugh and he took it well.

I’m looking at ‘99 Civics now, I hear those things really move. .
I’ve been taken to GappleBees by more ‘99 Civics than I care to admit.

Reactions: zrk

Escapist

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 GR Supra, 2016 Yamaha R1
I’ve been taken to GappleBees by more ‘99 Civics than I care to admit.
There's a heavily modified civic in my town, I haven't run him myself but he's up to the point where racing a stock hellcat would be a waste of gas.
Sponsored