Previous Ownership? What did you drive before the Supra?

digicidal

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra, 2020 RX350, 2007 4Runner
Traded in my '16 Lexus RC F on the Supra. Several of the salespeople in the dealership came by to ask if I was trading it in when they saw it in the parking lot... already seemed there was going to be a feeding frenzy around it. I just hope they didn't drive any of the Supras they had in stock first... 'cuz I don't miss that overweight dog at all. Sure on paper they're close, but the driving experience isn't at all.

In the interest of full disclosure, the Supra was my second choice actually... but I didn't feel like paying a deposit and waiting the better part of a year to find out whether or not I'd even be able to take delivery of a new C8 - or if they'd be sold out by the time my number came up. Prior to the RC F was a brief fling with a Cayman. Great car but uncomfortable seats, no tech to speak of, and some early mechanical issues made it less than enjoyable as a DD.
Sponsored

Axix23

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
NA
Traded in my '16 Lexus RC F on the Supra. Several of the salespeople in the dealership came by to ask if I was trading it in when they saw it in the parking lot... already seemed there was going to be a feeding frenzy around it. I just hope they didn't drive any of the Supras they had in stock first... 'cuz I don't miss that overweight dog at all. Sure on paper they're close, but the driving experience isn't at all.

In the interest of full disclosure, the Supra was my second choice actually... but I didn't feel like paying a deposit and waiting the better part of a year to find out whether or not I'd even be able to take delivery of a new C8 - or if they'd be sold out by the time my number came up. Prior to the RC F was a brief fling with a Cayman. Great car but uncomfortable seats, no tech to speak of, and some early mechanical issues made it less than enjoyable as a DD.
How does your RC-F compare to the Supra? I was going to purchase a new RC-F at one time.

digicidal

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
How does your RC-F compare to the Supra? I was going to purchase a new RC-F at one time.
If the prices were similar at all... then it would come down more to a matter of how "laid back" you wanted your average drive to be. The RC-F was very easy to live with... but that translates to slow, slow, and ponderously slow. Honestly, the way they handled the throttle (even in Sport+ mode) was disastrous. If I hadn't already decided to send it on it's way this year I'd definitely have installed an apex'i throttle controller. It just felt like driving a truck unless you really put your foot in it and kept things ~5000RPM or so... and then it felt dangerous and sloppy (to me at least).

Basically it was everything I never liked about a 5.0 Mustang GT - without the cheap price to compensate! However, I do miss the ML stereo, the sound of the V8 between 4000 and 6800 RPM, and the trunk which was amazing spacious. The suspension was, without exception, the worst I've ever had the displeasure of experiencing. At anything less than 80mph it bounced like a civic with clipped springs. :eek: Even though it needed that when all 2+ tons were cornering at speed (and sloppily cornering at that).

I had a G37S coupe prior to the RC and I honestly missed it quite a bit (though the seats and stereo were a marked improvement). Now that there is the slightly lighter and (very) slightly better tuned track edition - it might be better... but that's a 100K MSRP car now! Since leaving the lot with my MKV... I've had nothing but smiles while driving. It's infinitely more nimble running around town while never feeling uncivilized at all. Plus my wife has fewer complaints (mostly related to the bouncing on the freeway in the RC).

All I have to do now is get the stereo sorted so my one big frustration is gone... but that will be a longer term project. We bought a 2020 RX350 for my wife just prior to the Supra, and sadly I think I'd almost rather drive it than an RC! At least in it you don't feel miserable when it just won't do what you want... you expect it. With the RC, it sounded like a supercar and drove like a work truck. IMO at least. :thumbsdown:

Axix23

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
NA
If the prices were similar at all... then it would come down more to a matter of how "laid back" you wanted your average drive to be. The RC-F was very easy to live with... but that translates to slow, slow, and ponderously slow. Honestly, the way they handled the throttle (even in Sport+ mode) was disastrous. If I hadn't already decided to send it on it's way this year I'd definitely have installed an apex'i throttle controller. It just felt like driving a truck unless you really put your foot in it and kept things ~5000RPM or so... and then it felt dangerous and sloppy (to me at least).

Basically it was everything I never liked about a 5.0 Mustang GT - without the cheap price to compensate! However, I do miss the ML stereo, the sound of the V8 between 4000 and 6800 RPM, and the trunk which was amazing spacious. The suspension was, without exception, the worst I've ever had the displeasure of experiencing. At anything less than 80mph it bounced like a civic with clipped springs. :eek: Even though it needed that when all 2+ tons were cornering at speed (and sloppily cornering at that).

I had a G37S coupe prior to the RC and I honestly missed it quite a bit (though the seats and stereo were a marked improvement). Now that there is the slightly lighter and (very) slightly better tuned track edition - it might be better... but that's a 100K MSRP car now! Since leaving the lot with my MKV... I've had nothing but smiles while driving. It's infinitely more nimble running around town while never feeling uncivilized at all. Plus my wife has fewer complaints (mostly related to the bouncing on the freeway in the RC).

All I have to do now is get the stereo sorted so my one big frustration is gone... but that will be a longer term project. We bought a 2020 RX350 for my wife just prior to the Supra, and sadly I think I'd almost rather drive it than an RC! At least in it you don't feel miserable when it just won't do what you want... you expect it. With the RC, it sounded like a supercar and drove like a work truck. IMO at least. :thumbsdown:
WOW man, didn't know it was that bad!!! lol

digicidal

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
WOW man, didn't know it was that bad!!! lol
LOL... well I may be a little bit bitter. ;) It really wasn't that bad of a car... it was just neither a sports car, nor a luxury car... it was something else trying very hard to be both of those and failing miserably at both IMO. If it was marketed (and purchased) as a ~$65K touring car... and if the suspension was completely reworked... then it would be a winner. Luckily I purchased mine barely used (12K miles and 11 months old) for ~$30K less than the original owner...

Honestly, that should have been my wake up call... the fact that someone was willing to take close to a 40% loss after a year just to get out of it! Thankfully, due to that person, I was able to trade it for a total depreciation of only $6K/year that I owned it... which covers a multitude of sins really. It did get quite a few looks around town... but not as many as the Supra is getting that's for sure.

Nc1dent

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra
I'm coming from an ISF, GT350, and then a Type R.

Phantom Grey otw to the house soon. Absolutely pumped.

Supra CRNA

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Toyota Supra GR, 2006 Mitsu Lancer Evo 9 RS
I posted earlier, but just dug up some old pics. Each car had its own personality! my favorite so far, the 2020 GR Supra!

2006 Lancer Evolution IX, GSR
2008 Honda S2000 Club Racer
1993 Honda Civic EG, B18C swap

C87D78F3-CCC6-40DD-8B73-B2827C8DE5CE.jpeg

060BA6B8-1586-4617-9D39-DBB94AD7AE85.jpeg

20A0725F-E923-49CA-BD26-42F8DDF38850.jpeg

0B146DB9-444D-43D6-8FBB-F6EE9F4B2F92.jpeg

CenTexMKV

First Name
Crofton
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
20 Supra MKV, 17 Ford F-450
I just sold my 17 F-450 King Ranch. I have owned a Z06, Hellcat, and Cobra in the past though.
Sponsored