Pure 800 vs AMS/BoostLogic/P2uned

Allschwarz

First Name
Derrick
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra GR Launch Edition
Going to be upgrading the turbo here soon and seeing what the big difference would be between the Pure and other true single turbo set ups. Hoping for around 700whp. Love the eye candy of a Garret or other true single but love Pure turbo for half the cost. Torn.

Example why where someone to pay $6000 roughly for a AMS Alpha 6 kit thatā€™s good for around 600whp when you can get a pure turbo for half that? I guess unless you pay for the hot parts fabrication and kit and all while pure just reuses stock housing and such.
Sponsored

Last edited:

black_sedan

First Name
BR
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
a90 Supra, Ford Raptor
If you add in the core charge plus the install kit for Pure850 you are right at $4500. So think that $1500 is the core charge. Add the cost of the catless DP and an intake you're at $5k easily.

Alpha 6 is like $5600. No core charge, you keep the stock turbo. But it comes with the downpipe, a new exhaust manifold, intake, wastegate, and then all the lines and hardware.

Apples to apples, the pure850 is not really half the cost, since you dont really include the core charge.

JoeDaMechanic

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0, 1993 Mazda RX7
If you add in the core charge plus the install kit for Pure850 you are right at $4500. So think that $1500 is the core charge. Add the cost of the catless DP and an intake you're at $5k easily.

Alpha 6 is like $5600. No core charge, you keep the stock turbo. But it comes with the downpipe, a new exhaust manifold, intake, wastegate, and then all the lines and hardware.

Apples to apples, the pure850 is not really half the cost, since you dont really include the core charge.
Its all in how you justify it really, but at the end of the day what am I going to do with a stock turbo?
So 5600 and a turbo paper weight
vs 3k without yet another oem part taking up space

At the end of the day I just wanna go fast :)
and that extra 2600 can pay for other things to go fast, like port injection and flex fuel

black_sedan

First Name
BR
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
a90 Supra, Ford Raptor
Its all in how you justify it really, but at the end of the day what am I going to do with a stock turbo?
So 5600 and a turbo paper weight
vs 3k without yet another oem part taking up space

At the end of the day I just wanna go fast :)
and that extra 2600 can pay for other things to go fast, like port injection and flex fuel
we could say some people want to go really really fast. So the extra money for a top mount is still worth it for those that want to make 800-1k HP.

I dont need to go that fast and I've already got access to a core, so I'd be going the Pure700/800 route when the time comes.

JoeDaMechanic

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
we could say some people want to go really really fast. So the extra money for a top mount is still worth it for those that want to make 800-1k HP.

I dont need to go that fast and I've already got access to a core, so I'd be going the Pure700/800 route when the time comes.
Agreed, plus 1khp is getting serious into the engine build and transmission build costs, I just want to break into the 9's even by a .01 and I'll be happy with power. Then suspension, wheels, aero...

I'm waiting on my Pure to show up, but I really wish CTS would put out some more info on their upgrade as well. I know some people had issues with Vargas, but their upgrade also looked promising. I just dunno if I would want to risk it when there's already a known quantity like Pure out there.

black_sedan

First Name
BR
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
a90 Supra, Ford Raptor
Agreed, plus 1khp is getting serious into the engine build and transmission build costs, I just want to break into the 9's even by a .01 and I'll be happy with power. Then suspension, wheels, aero...

I'm waiting on my Pure to show up, but I really wish CTS would put out some more info on their upgrade as well. I know some people had issues with Vargas, but their upgrade also looked promising. I just dunno if I would want to risk it when there's already a known quantity like Pure out there.
Yeah, the price point on Vargas GC is very appealing. Asked my tuner and he tells me to avoid it, he says pure is the way to go for reliability. Also from talking to other guys anything over 650TQ is slipping the transmissions bad. The few guys I know that are Pure + PI are having to do trans upgrades. :doh:

Precision Turbo is supposedly getting into the game with a drop in replacement as well, but my local dealer had no other details besides that... And they have been told that for months.

JoeDaMechanic

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Yeah, the price point on Vargas GC is very appealing. Asked my tuner and he tells me to avoid it, he says pure is the way to go for reliability. Also from talking to other guys anything over 650TQ is slipping the transmissions bad. The few guys I know that are Pure + PI are having to do trans upgrades. :doh:

Precision Turbo is supposedly getting into the game with a drop in replacement as well, but my local dealer had no other details besides that... And they have been told that for months.
Yeah, I figure I'll have to get a transmission upgrade but there's a big difference in price between the stage 0/1 trans upgrades and the 1000hp/tq trans upgrades

It's the same for the CTS turbo upgrade, posts on their IG, and Titan even dyno tested the turbo and put up some very healthy numbers (a bit more than their Pure I think)but that was months ago.

Bflood

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
3.0 Premium
Going to be upgrading the turbo here soon and seeing what the big difference would be between the Pure and other true single turbo set ups. Hoping for around 700whp. Love the eye candy of a Garret or other true single but love Pure turbo for half the cost. Torn.

Example why where someone to pay $6000 roughly for a AMS Alpha 6 kit thatā€™s good for around 600whp when you can get a pure turbo for half that? I guess unless you pay for the hot parts fabrication and kit and all while pure just reuses stock housing and such.
No reason to go top mount if you're wanting 700hp.. for about 8k, stick with Pure, port injection and a mild trans upgrade.

If you're able to do the work yourself and want a reliable 800-900whp, look to spend about 25k between turbo, upgraded fuel system, transmission, torque converter, axles..

black_sedan

First Name
BR
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
a90 Supra, Ford Raptor
No reason to go top mount if you're wanting 700hp.. for about 8k, stick with Pure, port injection and a mild trans upgrade.

If you're able to do the work yourself and want a reliable 800-900whp, look to spend about 25k between turbo, upgraded fuel system, transmission, torque converter, axles..
Iā€™m leaning towards the pure700 myself. I have no desire (right now) ? to add the additional injectors, AIC or Reflex. 500-550 on pump without ethanol will be fine for me.

Bflood

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
3.0 Premium
Iā€™m leaning towards the pure700 myself. I have no desire (right now) ? to add the additional injectors, AIC or Reflex. 500-550 on pump without ethanol will be fine for me.
I was once there myself lol.. thought I'd be happy with a Pure800 and some minor fuel upgrades.. now, I'm having the trans, axles and bottom end of the motor rebuilt/upgraded this winter. I'm now hoping 1,000whp will be enough.

VA90

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0 Premium
P2uned are great people and their work is top-notch. They are the only place I would go for serious work.

Bflood

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
3.0 Premium
P2uned are great people and their work is top-notch. They are the only place I would go for serious work.
Nothing against P2uned but I'm hoping Darton releases their sleeves before I get the work done.. otherwise I'll have to use P2ned since they're the only other company making sleeves.
Sponsored