Putting a non-running car into neutral

kaj

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra
Does anyone have experience with this? I've been researching for a few months now with no luck. I am spurred on by an incident during one of my last track days where a Corvette was holding up a run group because it broke down and nobody knew how to get the car into neutral in order to tow.
I'm familiar with crawling under the car with a set of tools and doing a mechanically, but that's not going to be an option in some cases. Also, the below is assuming the car can crank over but not start. Also not going to work when I want to winch the car up under the trailer.
I was only able to find the following. Do the key fob buttons indicated below match up to ours in anyway?
Any other ideas or suggestions would be appreciated! Thanks in advance.

1. Step on the brake pedal.
2. Press start/stop button.
Starter turns for about 20 seconds.
3. Press unlock button 1, arrow 1, and hold pressed during the entire unlocking.
4. Move selector lever to the N position for at least 4 seconds. An acoustic signal or a
text message is output, depending on the vehicle.
5. Move the selector lever back to its initial setting.
6. Move the selector lever to position N again briefly and then move back to the initial
setting.
7. Release unlock button. The display on the selector lever shows N.
The transmission lock is now unlocked.
8. Take foot off brake pedal.
The starter stops turning. The vehicle can now be rolled.
The transmission lock is unlocked for approx. 15 minutes. The unlocking of the
transmission lock extends by approx. 15 minutes for every detected rotational
movement of the vehicle. The exact duration of the unlocking depends on the state of
charge of the vehcile battery.
Sponsored

XtremeMaC

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra

Drnick

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 supra premium
Good grief!, all that to put car in neutral!
I just simply (while car is running) put it in neutral and shut car off!, but I understand if u want to keep it in neutral, u have to go through
Those after-mentioned steps

razorlab

First Name
Bryan / Briana
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Not a Corvette.
I just simply (while car is running) put it in neutral and shut car off!, but I understand if u want to keep it in neutral, u have to go through
Super value add post when the title of this thread is literally “putting a non-running car into neutral”

zrk

First Name
Zack
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra - Nocturnal Black
I'm sorry but what the fuck. How do you start the car if... the car doesn't run?

Also, "aforementioned" is the word you're looking for.

OP
OP

kaj

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra
If the car is running, it would be super easy to put in neutral. This thread is about how to tow/winch/move a car that is unable to run.

Todday1

First Name
Tod
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 A91 Supra
All having done this after blowing a turbo and locking up an engine. You have to pull the under body plastic panel (mine is now off permanently, to get to the side of transmission. There is a lever that is spring loaded and has to be pulled down and then place a wedge in it to keep down. So if it won’t crank over that is the only way I know. And to do all of this will have to get it up on jack stands. So definitely not easy to do. I had to buy the jack up wheel dollies to be able to get it moved off the street and back into the garage so was not fun.

OP
OP

kaj

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra
All having done this after blowing a turbo and locking up an engine. You have to pull the under body plastic panel (mine is now off permanently, to get to the side of transmission. There is a lever that is spring loaded and has to be pulled down and then place a wedge in it to keep down. So if it won’t crank over that is the only way I know. And to do all of this will have to get it up on jack stands. So definitely not easy to do. I had to buy the jack up wheel dollies to be able to get it moved off the street and back into the garage so was not fun.
As mentioned in my OP, we're all aware of the mechanical method, but this thread is about alternative methods.

OP
OP

kaj

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra
Hey dude, did you try turning the car on and putting it in neutral while at the same time jacking it up and moving a lever? ;)
I have an entire team on it, right now.

On a serious note: I'm WAY too lazy for that. I'd probably just sell it at that point.