Race Tracking Your Supra - Information exchange

nibble

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
BMW, Honda, Toyota
I have read through all 24 pages of this and really appreciate the dialogue, logs and great feedback from veterans of the sport.

Here's a few questions from someone getting ready for their first "official" track day (hopefully these are useful for others getting ready).
The absolute must have is a good night sleep the day before. ;) sounds silly but hard for some people.. some showed up with red eye but pumped in the morning and then requiring intravenous feed of caffein by afternoon. Get a good sleep.
Sponsored

FLtrackdays

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 Supra 3.0, ND MX5 Club, VW GTI MK7.5
I have read through all 24 pages of this and really appreciate the dialogue, logs and great feedback from veterans of the sport.

Here's a few questions from someone getting ready for their first "official" track day (hopefully these are useful for others getting ready).

1. For the supra, is there anything that MUST be done prior to getting on the track (free track day or otherwise). Ex. Aluminum skid plates, etc.

2. A lot of discussion has been made about the car itself, what about tools that you would recommend bringing?

3. Other must have or nice to have items?

4. I think it was mentioned a few pages back, but is an instructor included in the free track day or just the event?

5. What does a track instructor typically cost?
Only thing I’d add to @adawine ‘s great response, is check your hot tire pressure and torque your lug nuts after the first couple of sessions. He did mention bringing a pressure gauge and torque wrench, those should be the only tools you use every track day. Beginner or experienced driver, torque em to 101 ft/lbs and don’t let your hot tire pressure creep over 36 psi. You’ll have more fun (grip) with them not swelling over 40 psi. The lug nuts are just a safety thing I think everyone should do.

Anyone ever see the video of pro driver John Dean driving Wei-Shen Chin’s Acura NSX (I can’t find it right now)? They show it at lots of beginner classes. Anyway, I was there that day. Scary as shit! There’s another video floating around of another guy I know where his came off on a MX5. He plays it for classes as well. Moral to the story, torque your nuts people! 😂

neverknowsbest

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra

1. For the supra, is there anything that MUST be done prior to getting on the track (free track day or otherwise). Ex. Aluminum skid plates, etc.

2. A lot of discussion has been made about the car itself, what about tools that you would recommend bringing?

3. Other must have or nice to have items?

4. I think it was mentioned a few pages back, but is an instructor included in the free track day or just the event?

5. What does a track instructor typically cost?
4. You'll get an instructor and also be put into the HPDE1 run group.

5. Almost all organizations will provide instructors free of charge. Entry level run groups you are 100% with an instructor. Next level instructor in the morning, free in the afternoon. Next two levels you run full solo. I think the only time you'll ever need to pay is one you hire a personal instructor/coach.

6SPDA91

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Silverado, S1000R, A91-MT
4. You'll get an instructor and also be put into the HPDE1 run group.

5. Almost all organizations will provide instructors free of charge. Entry level run groups you are 100% with an instructor. Next level instructor in the morning, free in the afternoon. Next two levels you run full solo. I think the only time you'll ever need to pay is one you hire a personal instructor/coach.
Wonderful. Thanks for the feedback.

AHP

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 3.0 Premium, 2022 C8 HTC, 2019 Z06
Vehicle Showcase
Most HPDE orgs provide instructors at no cost. There are some that do add a surcharge, though. I believe Chin has a $100 'coaching fee'. It should all be laid out in the event registration info.

FLtrackdays

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 Supra 3.0, ND MX5 Club, VW GTI MK7.5
For the money and the fact @1slow_mk5 is using them (ironic name being the fastest Supra at Homestead so far this year)

ACBBD27A-2474-4681-8FD4-05CEAD81E837.jpeg

I bought them again. Just can’t beat ‘em for the price, imo. I don’t see the Paragons I’m currently on lasting as long as the Hawks did. And they feel great (both pads), so… just my 2 cents ✌🏼

ABQautoxer

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra, 2022 Tundra, 2016 Supercharged FRS
On the topic of brake pads, which are the Project Mu ones people like?

razorlab

First Name
Bryan / Briana
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Not a Corvette.
Thanks, those were the ones I was guessing. I sure do like the price. Are the very streetable?
Yes, that is why I love them. They make almost zero sound on the street.

I actually ran the same pads on one of my evos over a decade ago and I used to use that car on track, daily driving and to ski resorts in 20F and colder.

Rocksandblues

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra, e46 M3, diesel BMW e90, GL450
On the topic of brake pads, which are the Project Mu ones people like?
i ran the 999 series. i drive aggressively and threshold brake almost every turn. they did very very well.

razorlab

First Name
Bryan / Briana
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Not a Corvette.
i ran the 999 series. i drive aggressively and threshold brake almost every turn. they did very very well.
These are the part numbers I found for the 999's:
Front: PMU-P9Z723
Rear: PMU-P9Z625

Looks like they are slightly higher FC (0.59 vs .55) but same temp rating compared to the Club Racers. I might upgrade to those depending on how the Club Racers respond to my added power this season.

I wonder if they are worth the extra $277.

VA90

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0 Premium
I understood the 999 to be basically track-only. Would you agree?

razorlab

First Name
Bryan / Briana
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Not a Corvette.
They basically have the same CF and temp window as the Club Racers so I don't see why you couldn't drive them on the street. Most "track" pads have that disclaimer.

999:
200-800c
0.42-0.59CF

Club Racer:
300-800c
0.42-0.55CF

Rocksandblues

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra, e46 M3, diesel BMW e90, GL450
That is what the lawyers make them say.
I am driving less and less on the street these days but before my trailer i drove to every car show, fun run, and to and from tracks on race pads.

Their optimum design temps will not be reached in street driving but that doesn't mean you will coast through a red light. They still stop your car.

my .02 I cannot officially suggest the use of non-street rated pads on the street. Use at your own risk. your mileage may very. Breath through your nose, don't eat yellow snow or run w scissors.
Sponsored