METAL

First Name
K2
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Car(s)
2021 GR Supra 3.0 Premium (Tungsten Silver)
Not the greatest picture, but anybody that wants a inconspicuous place to mount your detector, the visor mount that comes with the Valentine v1 gen 2 will clip to the headliner and leaves enough room for the visor to still flip down and hide it. Also feel fairly confident that it's well in line with the rear window. After driving a while and getting some hits, I'll report back.

Don't mind the cord hanging down. My previous mirror tap from my last car is too fat for the Supra, so ordering another one.

EDIT:
Made a youtube channel and posted a video of my install. Reconfirming that the large harness going to the mirror works. Brown is negative, and red/blue is positive. Takes about 6 minutes to turn off after the car turns off.

20210225_143407.jpg

Wow, very discreet and clean. Keep us updated on the performance or if they're any ways to test and log the signals from that location.
Sponsored

shownfu

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 GR Supra
Great thanks to all the tips and advice in here. I was able to quickly tap in for power to power my R7. Used wire taps from amazon, the set where it's 3 different sizes for $15.xx. I used the tap with the smallest tip.
Removed the cover around the mirror by separating the cover from the part below the mirror then work my way up. It came out easily.
There are two connectors. Small pink and larger black. I pulled the black connector by using a flat head to hold the base and a small pliers to pull the connecter itself. Eased it out.
I realized I really didn't need to pull it out. You could just push the taps into it. Tap red into the red and black into the brown/black slot.
I confirmed the radar detector does shut off about 6min after turning the car off.

HookemNC

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
21 Supra 3.0 premium
Not the greatest picture, but anybody that wants a inconspicuous place to mount your detector, the visor mount that comes with the Valentine v1 gen 2 will clip to the headliner and leaves enough room for the visor to still flip down and hide it. Also feel fairly confident that it's well in line with the rear window. After driving a while and getting some hits, I'll report back.

Don't mind the cord hanging down. My previous mirror tap from my last car is too fat for the Supra, so ordering another one.

EDIT:
Made a youtube channel and posted a video of my install. Reconfirming that the large harness going to the mirror works. Brown is negative, and red/blue is positive. Takes about 6 minutes to turn off after the car turns off.

20210225_143407.jpg

Hey bud. Now that you've run this puppy for a bit, how is it doing for picking up rear radar in that location? I'm about to follow your lead as my v2 arrived this weekend. Thanks.

Luckymike

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
08 Z06, 17 VW Beetle Dune, 11 MV Agusta Brutale 1090 RR, 15 RDX
Popped the mirror off on mine , hooked up the mirror tap and now have a fault...auto lighting/ wiper sensor....any ideas how to acknowledge??

akasonny

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra Premium (Downshift Blue)
Popped the mirror off on mine , hooked up the mirror tap and now have a fault...auto lighting/ wiper sensor....any ideas how to acknowledge??
Just guessing here but...it could be your device has a current draw which exceeds the parameters. I'd suggest disconnecting to see if the warning goes away. If so, check the specs on your device to determine current draw.

Exactly where did you tap into? There are two connectors there...a larger one (gray as I recall) and a smaller red connector. I tapped into the larger connector without any problems.

akasonny

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Tapped into the larger one....
e
Black/Brown wire there is ground. Red is hot. I'd check current draw of the device. Excessive current-draw there could trip a warning light in the ECU. Otherwise, I haven't a clue.

Luckymike

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Ya... maybe battery is low...is hooked up and works great though...I saw somewhere if the windshield is replaced something has to be reset....won't have it out for a week to check again...these BMW's sure are hi tech!

akasonny

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Ya... maybe battery is low...is hooked up and works great though...I saw somewhere if the windshield is replaced something has to be reset....won't have it out for a week to check again...these BMW's sure are hi tech!
Yes a possibility. The camera is located at the top/middle of the windshield. That monitors things like posted highway speeds, etc. If that is cattywampus due to a windshield replacement, you're likely to get a code. Usually the auto-glass companies know to reset it. Toyota can do it, of course.

Could very well be a code related to that and not your detector but it still seems strange the code you get has to do with the wipers/auto lighting.

HookemNC

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
21 Supra 3.0 premium
I can confirm that mounting a valentine v1 gen 2 on the headliner by the mirror via a visor mount will pick up radar from all directions. Looks super clean and well hidden.

satx_phantom

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2016 Ford Fiesta; BMW M3 CS (G80) Waitlist
Went to install the mirror tap for my new radar detector and with the tap installed my Homelink buttons donā€™t respond on the mirror. Now one of the pins is broke on the tap, so I have to order a new one.

Luckymike

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
When tapping mine I inadvertently blew 2 fuses on the BCM....is located under the front fuse block in the passenger side... Remove threshold strip plus the other plastic kick piece, roll the carpet back... remove the lower row of wire connects and the fuses are under a plastic protection panel on the front of the BCM... Knocked out the heater controls and quite a few other things ....

satx_phantom

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
So I ordered the more expensive MirrorTap brand kit, to replace the cheaper one that Amazon sold me and broke. Itā€™s all working now. Only strange thing now is once the car powers up when I get in the Homelink on the mirror will only work once until I actually start the engine. Must be a power draw thing, and not anything I feel I should be concerned with, just wasnā€™t expecting that.

Luckymike

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Found my homelink doesn't work when I shut the car off... Have to shut the garage door before shutting the car off

satx_phantom

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Found my homelink doesn't work when I shut the car off... Have to shut the garage door before shutting the car off
Perhaps I just didnā€™t notice this behavior before. Although I definitely can use it once to open the garage when I first enter the car, but only once.
Sponsored