mkvloser

First Name
Gabe
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra Pure 800
Hi guys,

I'm starting to get pretty paranoid about this, can't seem to find an explanation. I'm noticing what seems to be a similar issue to Mishimoto catch can users, but I don't have one installed. Every once in a while at idle i'll see a random cloud of white smoke (smells like oil) coming from the left exhaust pipe. 5-10 seconds later it's gone. I have a Pure 800, MST Intake, and Titan downpipe. I know the Pure deletes part of the PCV system, but could that cause this much smoke? I'm waiting to hear back from Pure, sent them a video.

Has anyone else experienced something like this? I only noticed it after the turbo went it. It's freaking me out more and more, but it's very infrequent and there's no smoke coming from the engine bay. It has me very worried for the turbo.

I've seen this which suggests it could be VGC... my car has 6k miles, how could that be the case?? No shot I'll be able to get that warrantied.
Sponsored

a90moe

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
MKV Supra
Hi guys,

I'm starting to get pretty paranoid about this, can't seem to find an explanation. I'm noticing what seems to be a similar issue to Mishimoto catch can users, but I don't have one installed. Every once in a while at idle i'll see a random cloud of white smoke (smells like oil) coming from the left exhaust pipe. 5-10 seconds later it's gone. I have a Pure 800, MST Intake, and Titan downpipe. I know the Pure deletes part of the PCV system, but could that cause this much smoke? I'm waiting to hear back from Pure, sent them a video.

Has anyone else experienced something like this? I only noticed it after the turbo went it. It's freaking me out more and more, but it's very infrequent and there's no smoke coming from the engine bay. It has me very worried for the turbo.

I've seen this which suggests it could be VGC... my car has 6k miles, how could that be the case?? No shot I'll be able to get that warrantied.
For how long has it been installed

OP
OP

mkvloser

First Name
Gabe
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra Pure 800
Check the mods.
Good luck.
What do you mean? If I find oil in the chargepipe I still won't know where it's coming from.

Dannyvandelft

First Name
Danny
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Ordered A91 edition Supra
Oil is usually blue smoke. White is coolant. Sounds to me like you got coolant getting into your engine somewhere. Check the level.

Dannyvandelft

First Name
Danny
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Ordered A91 edition Supra
Hi guys,

After reading the article you pointed to, no of course it won't be warrantied. How much psi are you running? I wonder if the boost pressure is separating the head from the block. I'm pretty sure builders put in better studs to prevent that from happening. If it's separating under pressure, letting fluids in, and then you idle after the run, those fluids get burned off.

OP
OP

mkvloser

First Name
Gabe
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra Pure 800
Oil is usually blue smoke. White is coolant. Sounds to me like you got coolant getting into your engine somewhere. Check the level.
Definitely not coolant. I know the smell of oil smoke all too well lol. Level is fine.

OP
OP

mkvloser

First Name
Gabe
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra Pure 800
After reading the article you pointed to, no of course it won't be warrantied. How much psi are you running? I wonder if the boost pressure is separating the head from the block. I'm pretty sure builders put in better studs to prevent that from happening. If it's separating under pressure, letting fluids in, and then you idle after the run, those fluids get burned off.
Only 25psi max. Nowhere near enough for something like that to happen. The guys making 800+ don't even do studs. If that was the case I'd also be noticing at least some smoke from the engine bay, but there's nothing.

But yeah something that is letting fluid pool, then it burns off at idle.

Ghostop

First Name
John snow
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2018 Zl1 10sp 2017 civic type r
Only 25psi max. Nowhere near enough for something like that to happen. The guys making 800+ don't even do studs. If that was the case I'd also be noticing at least some smoke from the engine bay, but there's nothing.

But yeah something that is letting fluid pool, then it
Thanks for sharing your experience. I have a little bit of oil thatā€™s in the lower charge pipe , not sure if thatā€™s normal. Iā€™m also running verus Aos separator and Mishmoto catch can with pure800.

Calderon93

First Name
Carlos
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 supra
Did you bleed the turbo after installation?

But yeah something that is letting fluid pool, then it burns off at idle.
Just be cautious with your turbo. Mine(stock turbo) would smoke a bit. But it didnā€™t bother me as I thought it was minimal and I was pushing some power. Then while driving POOOOF ...white clouds and more white clouds. Checked my turbo and plenty of shaft play. So it was gone. Just keep an eye on it. Maybe have someone take a look around

Frosty

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Toyota Supra, 2016 Ford F150, 1993 Ford Mustang GT
It sounds like the shaft seals could be shot already. I know this Pure turbos are considered remanufactured. What oil weight are you using?