Replace Battery notification?!?

Dannyvandelft

First Name
Danny
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Ordered A91 edition Supra
Wow really? I guess I was thinking of ///M cars but I thought people here were bringing it in for an oil change at that mileage.
That said, should I just charge and get bimmerlink to register?
Yeah I did an oil change after break-in, but it's not necessary
Sponsored

Jackyl tm

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A91 Edition, C230, Mazda Protege
I purchased yesterday and they have to replace the battery as mine as the light on as well. They went out of state to get the car for me(a91 edition) and said it had been sitting at that dealership for a while which is why that dealership was OK with them taking it. I pick it up Wednesday morning. Barely even test drove it ?

spta97

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra, 2020 BMW X3MC
I purchased yesterday and they have to replace the battery as mine as the light on as well. They went out of state to get the car for me(a91 edition) and said it had been sitting at that dealership for a while which is why that dealership was OK with them taking it. I pick it up Wednesday morning. Barely even test drove it ?
Congrats on the A91!

The BMW design is just stupid. It should recognize when the battery gets to fully charged and turn the message off. It also forces you to program the car for a simple battery change.

Though if they are willing to replace the batter rather than just charging it that's a good thing.

Jackyl tm

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A91 Edition, C230, Mazda Protege
Congrats on the A91!

The BMW design is just stupid. It should recognize when the battery gets to fully charged and turn the message off. It also forces you to program the car for a simple battery change.

Though if they are willing to replace the batter rather than just charging it that's a good thing.
Yeah I agree. I have had bmws in the past, so I am quite familiar with the process. It is a very good Toyota dealership. They also know I work for Toyota and a little more willing to help and take care of me. Just the waiting is killing me haha

spta97

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Yeah I agree. I have had bmws in the past, so I am quite familiar with the process. It is a very good Toyota dealership. They also know I work for Toyota and a little more willing to help and take care of me. Just the waiting is killing me haha
My 2020 X3MC, and now the A90 Supra (g/f's car) are my first "BMWs" with this feature.

My previous E46 M3 did not have this requirement.

I read that you can use BimmerLink and it's pretty easy. Would you agree?

Luckymike

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
08 Z06, 17 VW Beetle Dune, 11 MV Agusta Brutale 1090 RR, 15 RDX
Just tested the battery and got 12.35v off / 14.71v on. Looking online that seems to be about a 50% charge for an AGM battery.

I'm thinking to just let it charge up as we drive and measure again with some more miles on it.

Assuming it gets closer to full, just wait until the 1200 mile service to have the dealer resolve.

Note, the replace battery message came up after it was in the shop getting PPF for a week so I suspect they ran down the battery keeping doors open for a while as it was likely on the low threshold before it went in.
Mine is doing the same....won't take a full charge...

spta97

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Mine is doing the same....won't take a full charge...
We had to drop it off at the PPF shop due to issues - hopefully they will correct it.

In the interim, I am wondering if the AGM batteries go bad when they get too low in voltage?

Once the PPF is straitened out, we will take it to a dealer and hope they will actually replace the battery.

Paolo

First Name
Paolo
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
20 SUPRA
How to Test an AGM Battery
BY STEPHEN BENHAM

Absorbed Glass Mat (AGM) batteries are the latest improvement to lead-based batteries. AGM batteries are completely sealed units and are maintenance-free. Unlike a regular flooded-cell lead-acid battery that contains sulfuric acid in the cells, an AGM battery doesn't contain any fluid. This means they are safer, as even if the outer casing gets damaged or cracked, no leakage will occur. AGM batteries are a popular choice for use in golf carts and motorized wheelchairs and are increasingly fitted in marine vessels and motor vehicles.

AGM Multimeter Test

Step 1

Turn on the multimeter. Set it to measure voltage by turning the dial or pressing the appropriate button on the meter.

Step 2
Place the sensor on the end of the red wire from the meter onto the "+" terminal of the AGM battery. Place the sensor on the end of the black wire onto the "-" terminal of the AGM battery.

Read the multimeter display. A fully charged AGM battery has an output voltage of about 13 volts. This is slightly higher than the 12 volts you find labeled on the side of the battery to allow for voltage resistance in the battery cables. However, if the reading is below 10 volts, you need to recharge your battery for a while. Once charged, test the voltage again, then leave it for several hours and retest it. If the voltage reading drops more than about 1 or 2 volts, you may need to consider getting a replacement.

spta97

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
How to Test an AGM Battery
BY STEPHEN BENHAM

Absorbed Glass Mat (AGM) batteries are the latest improvement to lead-based batteries. AGM batteries are completely sealed units and are maintenance-free. Unlike a regular flooded-cell lead-acid battery that contains sulfuric acid in the cells, an AGM battery doesn't contain any fluid. This means they are safer, as even if the outer casing gets damaged or cracked, no leakage will occur. AGM batteries are a popular choice for use in golf carts and motorized wheelchairs and are increasingly fitted in marine vessels and motor vehicles.

AGM Multimeter Test

Step 1

Turn on the multimeter. Set it to measure voltage by turning the dial or pressing the appropriate button on the meter.

Step 2
Place the sensor on the end of the red wire from the meter onto the "+" terminal of the AGM battery. Place the sensor on the end of the black wire onto the "-" terminal of the AGM battery.

Read the multimeter display. A fully charged AGM battery has an output voltage of about 13 volts. This is slightly higher than the 12 volts you find labeled on the side of the battery to allow for voltage resistance in the battery cables. However, if the reading is below 10 volts, you need to recharge your battery for a while. Once charged, test the voltage again, then leave it for several hours and retest it. If the voltage reading drops more than about 1 or 2 volts, you may need to consider getting a replacement.
as posted above I got 12.35v which indicates a 50% charge according to what I found online.

Iā€™m temped to charge it but I think Iā€™ll just let the dealer handle.

spta97

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
as posted above I got 12.35v which indicates a 50% charge according to what I found online.

Iā€™m temped to charge it but I think Iā€™ll just let the dealer handle.
Well just back from the dealer. They tested the battery and said it was fine so did not replace (boo).

The message has been reset as well.

There was no mention of them charging the battery so I'll have to take some readings this weekend.

ShakaDaKine

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'21 TG 3.0
First thing I did when I brought my new Supra home from the dealership was hook it up to my CTEK and give it a full charge.

spta97

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
First thing I did when I brought my new Supra home from the dealership was hook it up to my CTEK and give it a full charge.
I have an older charger (like 20 years) that works with AGM batteries so I will probably do that. Though I still wonder if I need to get a modern version?

I think what happened is the battery died as it sat on the lot for 8 months. They charged it and reset the message. Then, when getting PPF, they drained the battery prompting the replace message again.

Today, since the car has been driven a bit since, the battery is showing healthy and the reset the message. I do not see anywhere they charged the battery so I suspect it is not at full charge.

I will confirm this weekend.

Edit - It only has 300 miles in total so perhaps not enough for the alternator to fully charge the battery.
Sponsored