Replace Battery notification?!?

spta97

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra, 2020 BMW X3MC
So just tested it - 12.4v. According to online charts this is about ~60%.

Looks like I should charge.
Sponsored

Z4UPRA

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0 Premium
Two weeks after I got my car, the battery issue came up. I went to the dealer today and they were supposed to replace my battery, but instead, they said the battery is very healthy and they just had to update the registration to make the message go away.

We will see in a few weeks to see if this message comes back up again.

ShakaDaKine

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'21 TG 3.0
I have an older charger (like 20 years) that works with AGM batteries so I will probably do that. Though I still wonder if I need to get a modern version?

I think what happened is the battery died as it sat on the lot for 8 months. They charged it and reset the message. Then, when getting PPF, they drained the battery prompting the replace message again.

Today, since the car has been driven a bit since, the battery is showing healthy and the reset the message. I do not see anywhere they charged the battery so I suspect it is not at full charge.

I will confirm this weekend.

Edit - It only has 300 miles in total so perhaps not enough for the alternator to fully charge the battery.
This is the one I have and it works great:
Amazon.com: CTEK (56-353) MULTI US 7002 12-Volt Battery Charger,Black: Automotive

spta97

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Thanks for the link!

I plugged it into my charger (which can charge AGM batteries) and it seems to be thirsty. It went up to 3 of 4 bars (about ~70%) quickly and has been holding there for the last couple hours indicating it was not charged by the dealer (nothing stating that on the paper work but my gf said they told her they charged it...grrr).

It can take many hours to go to full charge then goes into maintenance mode so hope it is topped off by morning.

I may pick up the CTEK or similar as I read good things about them and it has more "smarts" than mine.

Question - Does charging a battery to full necessitate reprogramming as you would do with a new battery? Or does the vehicle software just vary on the health and not the charge?

ShakaDaKine

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'21 TG 3.0
Thanks for the link!

I plugged it into my charger (which can charge AGM batteries) and it seems to be thirsty. It went up to 3 of 4 bars (about ~70%) quickly and has been holding there for the last couple hours indicating it was not charged by the dealer (nothing stating that on the paper work but my gf said they told her they charged it...grrr).

It can take many hours to go to full charge then goes into maintenance mode so hope it is topped off by morning.

I may pick up the CTEK or similar as I read good things about them and it has more "smarts" than mine.

Question - Does charging a battery to full necessitate reprogramming as you would do with a new battery? Or does the vehicle software just vary on the health and not the charge?
As long as you're connected under the hood, the IBS should be able to read the state of charge., as well as the state of health.

spta97

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
As long as you're connected under the hood, the IBS should be able to read the state of charge., as well as the state of health.
Thanks for the info.

The battery is still charging! I guess it would be ~16 hours now?

I've had this before on other vehicles - I assume the charger may slow down for that last bit to get it to full. If it cannot charge in 24 hours, it will throw an error and stop.

How about the CTEK? How long does it take to charge the battery?

spta97

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
So finally, 30 hours later, I got a green light on my charger!

Battery is reading 12.66v - this seemed low but found an old post on BimmerFest stating that 12.65v is 100% resting charge for the BMW AGM battery (below) and a few searches stated the values listed in common online charts are incorrect.

I also read elsewhere that battery registration is not required for just a charge but looking to get additional confirmation.

This has made me think about my vehicles (and one [my Armada] I recently replaced the battery on) so I am going to charge them up as well as the Armada sits for weeks without being driven. My X3MC gets driven but not a lot (3000 miles after 1.5 years).

Back in the day of my E46 M3, I rarely drove it but put it on the charger all the time. That battery lasted 7 years. So I'll charge periodically and hopefully not take as long.

BMW_Tech @ BimmerForums said:
Open Circuit Voltage-State of Battery Charge

OCV
(State of Charge)

12.65 volts
100%

12.45 volts
75%

12.24 volts
50%

12.06 volts
25%

11.89 volts
Discharged

aprayiii

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
CU Later 6MT, Highlander
Two weeks after I got my car, the battery issue came up. I went to the dealer today and they were supposed to replace my battery, but instead, they said the battery is very healthy and they just had to update the registration to make the message go away.

We will see in a few weeks to see if this message comes back up again.
Reviving this old thread because my new 2023 has this issue and the dealer tried to tell me the battery was fine and they reset the message - but the message is still there. So I walked back in and they said "Oh I guess it does need to be replaced" and tried to tell me they would price it for me. I said, No, Warranty, and they said OK, they would call me after it is ordered and 3 days later - no call yet. Going to try a different dealer but wanted feedback - in general it looks to me like the dealer can rest the message?

OP
OP
Andrew4Supra

Andrew4Supra

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0 / 2018 Mercedes GLC43 / 2016 VW GTI
Yes I had the same issue. The battery needs to be fully charged at the dealer and then they can do a hard reset of the code on their laptop. After doing so at the dealerā€¦ Iā€™ve had zero issues and no dash error codes.

aprayiii

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
CU Later 6MT, Highlander
Yes I had the same issue. The battery needs to be fully charged at the dealer and then they can do a hard reset of the code on their laptop. After doing so at the dealerā€¦ Iā€™ve had zero issues and no dash error codes.
Great, thanks. Hopefully this dealer can figure it out, the next closest one is 30 miles away.

Z4UPRA

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0 Premium
Reviving this old thread because my new 2023 has this issue and the dealer tried to tell me the battery was fine and they reset the message - but the message is still there. So I walked back in and they said "Oh I guess it does need to be replaced" and tried to tell me they would price it for me. I said, No, Warranty, and they said OK, they would call me after it is ordered and 3 days later - no call yet. Going to try a different dealer but wanted feedback - in general it looks to me like the dealer can rest the message?
The dealer did the reset for me. I did have to charge the battery after they reset since it was very low.

aprayiii

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
CU Later 6MT, Highlander
Yes, I had already charged the battery and this second dealer was able to reset the message.
Sponsored