Resetting Service Lights - Brake Pad, Oil, & ETC. (CBS)

nibble

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
BMW, Honda, Toyota
I was searching to reset Brake Pad Service message but couldn't find it in forum.

I tried the "secret" menu, OBD Code reading, & Bimmer code but none worked. For CBS (Condition Based Service) such as Brake Pad, Engine Oil, Brake Fluid, & ETC, you need to be in Diagnostic (PAD) Mode. Here's how to enter and reset.

1. press start/stop button 3 times within .8 second. so it has to be very fast. (without pressing brake pedal so engine is turned off)
2. press & hold "trip distance recorder reset button" 5~10 seconds.
3. briefly press trip button to scroll through menu. when you reach desired service message to reset (it should also display "Reset possible"), Front Brake Pad in this case, press and hold the button until "Perform Reset?" message appears.
4. Press and hold trip button until "Reset Successful" message displays.

To clarify difference from secret menu, this is how you enter secret menu mode. This mode does not reset service message but use it to enter Dyno mode.
1. Turn on the engine.
2. press & hold "trip distance recorder reset button" 20~30 seconds.
3. secret menu is on. To unlock more menu, enter sum of last 6 digits of your VIN. i.e. if your vin ends 100763, it's 17 (1+0+0+7+6+3)

Hope you find this useful.
Sponsored

Natek

First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 launch
The problem comes when you reach the time to do the service but not the miles and then it says ā€œreset impossible.ā€ Then it gets tricky. lol
its timing not miles. Last time i did the oil change, it was a few weeks early but sure enough 12 months to the day of the last reset it was suddenly ā€œpossibleā€

Axix23

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
NA
its timing not miles. Last time i did the oil change, it was a few weeks early but sure enough 12 months to the day of the last reset it was suddenly ā€œpossibleā€
Your are incorrect. I have the correct date to reset it but I canā€™t Bc my car isnā€™t driven much and has only 600 miles thus it says impossible. I Took it to Toyota dealership and the only way for them to reset the oil light is with their scanner.

Master tech said that I would have to wait a certain % of the 10,000 mile interval before I can reset it myself. And yes my date is current in my infotainment.

Another way to cheat the system is to turn back your date so the oil light would go just go off until you reach the correct % of miles before it will alllow the oil reset possible.

Natek

First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 launch
Your are incorrect. I have the correct date to reset it but I canā€™t Bc my car isnā€™t driven much and has only 600 miles thus it says impossible. I Took it to Toyota dealership and the only way for them to reset the oil light is with their scanner.

Master tech said that I would have to wait a certain % of the 10,000 mile interval before I can reset it myself. And yes my date is current in my infotainment.

Another way to cheat the system is to turn back your date so the oil light would go just go off until you reach the correct % of miles before it will alllow the oil reset possible.
the dealership always knows best especially on this car. Careful.

i dont rely on toyota master techs. I have 3300 miles on my car, two oil changes under my belt and two resets. It was a year to be able to reset it the second time to the day. In August when i do my third change i will loop back to this thread and prove it again.

Axix23

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
NA
the dealership always knows best especially on this car. Careful.

i dont rely on toyota master techs. I have 3300 miles on my car, two oil changes under my belt and two resets. It was a year to be able to reset it the second time to the day. In August when i do my third change i will loop back to this thread and prove it again.
How many miles did you have when you reset it? lol

Natek

First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 launch
How many miles did you have when you reset it? lol
450 the first time and 1600ish the second time i do believe. No where near the 40% of the 10k recommendation that was highlighted in your Jan post on this subject.

Axix23

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
NA
450 the first time and 1600ish the second time i do believe. No where near the 40% of the 10k recommendation that was highlighted in your Jan post on this subject.
Well I guess your special then and some of us got bad cars that canā€™t be resetted. Lol

Neo1967

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A90 Supra
I was searching to reset Brake Pad Service message but couldn't find it in forum.

I tried the "secret" menu, OBD Code reading, & Bimmer code but none worked. For CBS (Condition Based Service) such as Brake Pad, Engine Oil, Brake Fluid, & ETC, you need to be in Diagnostic (PAD) Mode. Here's how to enter and reset.

1. press start/stop button 3 times within .8 second. so it has to be very fast. (without pressing brake pedal so engine is turned off)
2. press & hold "trip distance recorder reset button" 5~10 seconds.
3. briefly press trip button to scroll through menu. when you reach desired service message to reset (it should also display "Reset possible"), Front Brake Pad in this case, press and hold the button until "Perform Reset?" message appears.
4. Press and hold trip button until "Reset Successful" message displays.

To clarify difference from secret menu, this is how you enter secret menu mode. This mode does not reset service message but use it to enter Dyno mode.
1. Turn on the engine.
2. press & hold "trip distance recorder reset button" 20~30 seconds.
3. secret menu is on. To unlock more menu, enter sum of last 6 digits of your VIN. i.e. if your vin ends 100763, it's 17 (1+0+0+7+6+3)

Hope you find this useful.
You will need "Bimmerlink" to reset these codes.

dogfm

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Toyota Supra
Nibble
Thank you this was very useful and sorted the erroneous oil service required when My car was 9 months old with 4,000 miles on it.
The dealer who supplied it told me their Service team had reset it on a previous Supra with similar mileage and age. Your instructions saved me a trip back to the dealer.

zulhijj

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 GR Supra 2.0
Iā€™m at the dealer now with 360 miles because the replace oil indicator came on since my car sat on the lot for 9 months. Now they canā€™t figure out how to reset it. :rolleyes:

Cptnslo

First Name
Colton
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 MKV 3.0 Supra
I still cannot reset my brake pad light. The option to reset it simply isnā€™t there so Iā€™ll have to still have the dealership reset the light which is incredibly irritating

J29DB03

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Absolute Zero 3.0 Premium
I second the BimmerLink comment. I was able to reset my ā€œimpossibleā€ oil service after only 1100 miles. Also able to monitor my batteryā€™s percentage for my CTEK and install my AWE exhaust without having to start the car in order to open the exhaust valve. Although I am uncertain about the brake service reset as I havenā€™t used it for sometime, itā€™s still ~$30 well spent if you already have an OBD adapter.

OP
OP
nibble

nibble

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
BMW, Honda, Toyota
I still cannot reset my brake pad light. The option to reset it simply isnā€™t there so Iā€™ll have to still have the dealership reset the light which is incredibly irritating
I was able to reset my brake using menu when it was around 8~9,000 miles.
Sponsored