Reviews are in for 2020 Supra MKV preproduction car

Status
Not open for further replies.

CantEven_Supra

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2016 Cayman GT4
My experience with past sports cars that I have had.....I think he means that in sport mode (if you leave it in auto mode, not manual) it will hold revs higher to make sure you are in the correct gear for instant acceleration based on your speed, steering angle etc. etc.

The only reason I am hesitant to 100% assume this.....is A70's quote with bolded text. Either "A" he was suprised at the wording also....or "B" he is trying to give us a hint without actually saying anything.

I do remember reading in one of Tada's interviews that he said this will be the last "high revving" motor we get from Toyota.....now Tada I'm sure has driven plenty of sports cars in his day and I am sure his definition of "high revving" isn't 7k.....lol. To me 7k is very "norm" and "average" these days.

So maybe.....juuuustt maybe sport mode will indeed rev higher past 7k.
Sponsored

supraboi

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A70, GS300
https://www.autopista.es/pruebas-de...l-toyota-supra-2019-el-retorno-de-una-leyenda

We tested the Toyota Supra 2019: the return of a legend
The fifth generation of the Toyota Supra will be in the dealerships in 2019. It is now a two-seater and is made jointly with BMW. We have already tried it.

The new Toyota Supra is set a step above the GT86 in terms of power and price. All the previous Supra were four seats , but now has opted for a two-seat configuration and instead of having in the spotlight cars like the Porsche 911 , to give an example, points directly to the sector of the Cayman , the Audi TT ... I asked the ** Chief Engineer of Toyota Tetsuya Tada **, the father of the creature, about the reason for this new orientation and he gave me an interesting and didactic dissertation about the search for a better relationship between the battle , thewidth and weight , something in which this car is very good. It does not lack reason and the argument is valid, although the agreement with BMW was to make a car between both that gave name both to the Supra as to the Z4 , and this last one has never had intention to increase its capacity. Now comes the A90 generation , which is supported by the existing agreement between Toyota and BMW to make different models .

The new Toyota Supra is set a step above the GT86 in terms of power and price. All the previous Supra were four seats , but now has opted for a two-seat configuration and instead of having in the spotlight cars like the Porsche 911 , to give an example, points directly to the sector of the Cayman , the Audi TT ... I asked the ** Chief Engineer of Toyota Tetsuya Tada **, the father of the creature, about the reason for this new orientation and he gave me an interesting and didactic dissertation about the search for a better relationship between the battle , thewidth and weight , something in which this car is very good. It does not lack reason and the argument is valid, although the agreement with BMW was to make a car between both that gave name both to the Supra as to the Z4 , and this last one has never had intention to increase its capacity. Now comes the A90 generation , which is supported by the existing agreement between Toyota and BMW to make different models .

Despite taking the engine online, the Toyota Supra 2019 has the center of gravity even lower than the GT86 and its boxer engine . The weight distribution is 50:50, a very interesting detail that denotes that not only have they wanted to make a beautiful car. It has the gearbox ZF eight-speed that always accompanies this engine in BMW. The differential is self-locking two-way, mechanically and electronically controlled, which can reach up to one hundred percent blocking. The brakes rely on Bremboof four pistons in front. Toyota leaves in the air more versions, not discarding a four-cylinder petrol with manual or automatic change, always by torque converter, and perhaps a more radical variant, at least reduced in weight and with a more radical aesthetic.

TOYOTA SUPRA 2019: ITS BEHAVIOR
The behavior of the new Toyota Supra liked . I admit that I initially expected it to be more radical, since both its aesthetics and sitting low invited it. However with the passage of kilometers I understood this car. It is a kind sport, very fast and fun but that makes things easy for you. This allows it to be used every day without discarding Sunday excursions. In circuit he defends himself very well. In braking I feel some weight more and I demand more mordant, but the result is satisfactory. On the road it is a pleasure to take it fast, with suspensions that do not punish the body and do their job. There is a Sport button that hardens a bit and thenanother push button that allows to remove the control of traction and stability , which they did not let me do or in circuit; Neither did the car ask for it, we will do it when it touches. 900 units will go on sale through online booking from the Paris Motor Show , where we can see it without camouflage.

The new Toyota Supra will begin its journey in the dealerships in the spring of 2019 , although surely they accept orders before. Its price should be around 50,000 euros . In Toyota say they have made an effort to contain the price, we will see if it is fulfilled. From what I could see when lifting the tarpaulins that covered the interior, BMW's seal can be seen and this will be a guarantee for many, although perhaps more personalization would not have hurt.

86Driver

First Name
DB
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Toyota 86
I honestly would never consider a Cayman even if it was 10K cheaper than a similarly equipped MKV. It's a flawed logic I know and even if Porsche had a good dealership where I'm at (which they don't) I would just never consider buying one and I'm sure I'm not the only one who prefers a Toyota or a Lexus over a "prestigious" brand car. I guess this is brand loyalty at it's best (or worst) but I'm pretty sure Toyota knows we exist and are depending on it.
Fair enough, but for the majority of the market I think the cayman is still pretty much the benchmark 2 seater sports car in this “premium-but-still-within-reach” category.
:)

Reactions: BRX

twntrbo03'

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
1998 Supra Turbo Quicksilver ---1993 Supra Turbo Anthracite --- 2008 Toyota FJ Cruiser 4x4
I'm just sitting here still trying to buy parts for my MKIV's :coffee: Maybe with the return of the Supra they will start manufacturing MKIV parts again!!! I know, I know... wishful thinking :banghead::(

justbake

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
F10 535i
I'm just sitting here still trying to buy parts for my MKIV's :coffee: Maybe with the return of the Supra they will start manufacturing MKIV parts again!!! I know, I know... wishful thinking :banghead::(
Looking at the glass half-full, sharing parts with many BMWs means the MKV won't have near as much trouble finding parts in the future as the MKIV

Status
Not open for further replies.