Reviews are in for 2020 Supra MKV preproduction car

Status
Not open for further replies.

Supraman

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
I'm not too sure if I believe that either. 4 years with no involvement with each other? Like Jdmuscle mentioned, then please explain the countless spy shots we've seen of the two cars running around together driven by BMW drivers for the past few years?

Also, if they are both using the 'same engine'. You would think each one would be as much involved in what tweaks need to be done through out the development + testing phase. UNLESS Toyota just wanted them to run around with the earlier mules they built to test longevity of suspension components etc. and Toyota truly has their own engine in this thing and still keeping it a secret until the debut?...I know, I need to put this to rest. But it's the only explanation I can come up with IF true.
Sponsored

SS900

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
95 Supra twin turbo
When is any new iteration of a car the real thing?
That doesn’t make sense. I really don’t need to explain this. Fine..... let’s try this in a way you will understand.

Hypothetically Mommy and daddy with the Last name Toyota had 3 natural born kids 5 years apart. Each kid is special in their own way, they each have different personalities and so on. However they each also have a lot in common including looks, some other stuff (too many to list) and finally this little thing called DNA!

The Toyota family decided they wanted to adopt the 4th child. While this child grew up and learned to blend with its new family and even learned some behavioral similarities, he or she will never share DNA and differences will exist, such as family history, health, intelligence and so on.

Catch my drift?

Spilner

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
earl
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
none
That doesn’t make sense. I really don’t need to explain this. Fine..... let’s try this in a way you will understand.

Hypothetically Mommy and daddy with the Last name Toyota had 3 natural born kids 5 years apart. Each kid is special in their own way, they each have different personalities and so on. However they each also have a lot in common including looks, some other stuff (too many to list) and finally this little thing called DNA!

The Toyota family decided they wanted to adopt the 4th child. While this child grew up and learned to blend with its new family and even learned some behavioral similarities, he or she will never share DNA and differences will exist, such as family history, health, intelligence and so on.

Catch my drift?
Yes, but what i'm saying is a new generation model always gets hit with the same argument
For example:
C8 is not a "real Corvette" for being midengined
S550 is not a real mustang for looking "too European"
Ford GT is not a real GT for having a TTV6
NC1 is not a real NSX for being overweight
You probably get where i'm going with this...

SS900

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
95 Supra twin turbo
Yes, but what i'm saying is a new generation model always gets hit with the same argument
For example:
Yeah, I get it, but it’s not the same. Completely different issues.

LEG1T

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
91' Nsx
For example:
Unfair comparison.

Because siblings choose to do unfavorable plastic surgery doesn’t change the fact that there still blood.

This is not only new generation but new DNA within the very foundation. Hence BMW.

Spilner

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
earl
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
none
Unfair comparison.

Because siblings choose to do unfavorable plastic surgery doesn’t change the fact that there still blood.

This is not only new generation but new DNA within the very foundation. Hence BMW.
basically a hybrid,how ironic

Guff

Staff member
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A80, A90, Mk1 Celica
Vehicle Showcase
So, I just spoke to Gushi to get some more candid impressions of his drive. He says that, in his opinion, this chassis is the best to come out of Toyota, period. The engine and transmission will be tweaked further, but this is a car that is also asking to be fiddled with in the aftermarket, and the chassis will be more than willing. Exciting stuff for sure, I can see the car being taken in many different directions with a foundation as good as this.

SS900

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
95 Supra twin turbo
So, I just spoke to Gushi to get some more candid impressions of his drive. He says that, in his opinion, this chassis is the best to come out of Toyota, period. The engine and transmission will be tweaked further, but this is a car that is also asking to be fiddled with in the aftermarket, and the chassis will be more than willing. Exciting stuff for sure, I can see the car being taken in many different directions with a foundation as good as this.
That’s how i’m Looking at this car right now, something with potential to be a fun car. If it ends up being unreliable, oh well, i’ll Move on.

BRX

First Name
Abdulla
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Tundra, Celica, GT86
You really think Tada would leave it unreliable?:popcorn:
That's the only thing that concerns me. Everything about this car is exactly what I'm looking for and I would have gotten the auto even if a manual was offered. After the reviews of how it's actually more of a great street cruiser that's good on the track than the other way around I'm liking it even more.

The 86 had it's good share of powertrain issues in the first model years, I might leave it stock for the first year just to keep the warranty incase anything happens but that's doubtful.

BRX

First Name
Abdulla
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Tundra, Celica, GT86
I bet that "fast" Toyota is actually a Lexus that A70 is working on.

93Siro

First Name
Sina
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Z4
Tada-san will also be ensuring that tuners have good access to the ECU prior to launch as well.
If it's got BMW software and Bosch Tricore ECU, i think that statement is very far from truth. Not one of the OEM's like to have it's encryption accessed by 3rd parties, specially BMW. Look at the recent GM models, ZR1 for example, no one can tune those cars yet. And GM used to have most tuner friendly ECU's out there. VW diesel fiasco show that there are some data deep hidden in these new cars that makers don't want to be revealed. And plus the other corporate and security information about the complex systems cars nowadays have. Granted, the B58's ECU and the whole G family was cracked recently and there are flash tunes available. I guess by the time the car is revealed flashes will be advanced enough to get a cloud based flasher AKA Cobb-esque.

Supraman

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Watch this, the guys say the important things in English

They start speaking English at the12:35 min. mark, but start getting into the car review at 14:36+ min mark for those of you that just want to hear what they say.

The driver also hints there's something 'more' coming in terms of a possible bigger car. I wonder if just maybe this could be in the works:

TAS_2018_Toyota_GR_Super_Sport_Concept_small-800x445.jpg
Sponsored

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.