Not open for further replies.

Captain_Kirk

First Name
Kirk
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
?
Does anyone else think its odd that MotorTrend is the only major publication that hasn't publish their review? It makes me wonder if they were the only one that got to do an in-depth test drive and is still being embargo by Toyota.
Or maybe they are saving it for print. Next month's edition. If that's the case I'll read it while I'm grocery shopping at Walmart and put it back after wards. :p
Sponsored

supraboi

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A70, GS300
MT was the only ones that got to see the FT-1 months before the unveiling. So maybe Toyota also give them special access again and or more time with the prototype?

SupraFiend

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
5 Supras currently
The JZ engines are truck engines. That's why they're so reliable even 25 years on and filled with 30psi boost.
uhm what? Luxury car engines dude, no JZ or M motor has ever come from the factory in a truck or SUV. They are so reliable because thats Toyota's thing, and they were designed for boost from the factory (which truck engines rarely were in the old days). Truck engines are designed for peak torque at a very low RPM. The only similarity as they use iron blocks in both.

twntrbo03'

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
1998 Supra Turbo Quicksilver ---1993 Supra Turbo Anthracite --- 2008 Toyota FJ Cruiser 4x4
uhm what? Luxury car engines dude, no JZ or M motor has ever come from the factory in a truck or SUV. They are so reliable because thats Toyota's thing, and they were designed for boost from the factory (which truck engines rarely were in the old days). Truck engines are designed for peak torque at a very low RPM. The only similarity as they use iron blocks in both.

I think he is just implying they are almost bulletproof... not literally out of a truck. Although, i could be mistaken :dunno:

MA617M

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
lots
Yes, I meant that they're built big, simple and tough. There's nothing fancy about a JZ engine. Like the Ford barra, and the LS. They're simple, somewhat primitive in their design (check out the head flow rates and combustion chamber characteristics of a JZ) but it lends itself to serious longevity and reliability beyond its intended design.

I'm not saying it's a bad thing (I have three of them ) but it's no technological masterpiece.

So I'm keen to see a mix of the old ans new school

AZSupra

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
GTI
Yes, I meant that they're built big, simple and tough. There's nothing fancy about a JZ engine. Like the Ford barra, and the LS. They're simple, somewhat primitive in their design (check out the head flow rates and combustion chamber characteristics of a JZ) but it lends itself to serious longevity and reliability beyond its intended design.

I'm not saying it's a bad thing (I have three of them ) but it's no technological masterpiece.

So I'm keen to see a mix of the old ans new school
That 2JZ VVTI tho..

SupraFiend

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
5 Supras currently
They weren't simple at the time, especially the turbo design. Piston squirters, high flow MAFs and Map air metering, steel head gaskets, COP, individual coil and injector control, composite parts used in the name of weight savings, 2 piece oil pan, etc, all fancy stuff for Toyota motors of the time. Whearas in truck land then, Toyota was still actually using 22res. A 20+ year old SOHC motor design. The only other motor in Toyota's lineup at the time that had more advanced tech in it would have been the silver top 4age's that never made it out of Japan. They were experimenting with 5 valves per cylinder, the first version of their VVT and ITBs.

Jabba

First Name
Joel
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 Hyundai Veloster N
I came across this clip today that had me laughing. Thought I'd share:
(not a review video so feel free to move to another thread mods)

:rofl:
Thank you for this lol

SS900

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
95 Supra twin turbo
I came across this clip today that had me laughing. Thought I'd share:
(not a review video so feel free to move to another thread mods)

:rofl:
This right here is my favorite post. The end of all opinions video as itā€™s the most accurate as it will ever be, although I am sure there are a number of people on here that just wonā€™t get it.

upnsmoke

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Toyota MR2 GT, Nismo 370Z , Subaru Liberty Outback
but technically speaking... "tough" engines are tough because of the reinforcement structure around the combustion chambers and the valve channels, the type of oil used also matters alot... the material grade of the alloys used in the internal sections and even the gasket design... all for the purpose of withstanding wear, high stress and improve reliability... the JZ would have been designed with "reinforcement" or robustness in mind... some engines opt for "light" weight so they are designed specifically for a certain stress/load and thus has a good "life" under a range... but increase the stress/load and reliability goes down as in the engine components start to fail. The JZ and other trucks that have HIGH torque outputs require a higher safety margin I would think thus they can be "modified" for higher outputs and be "OK"

There's also a reason why many manufacturers "under" sell their engine's outputs.... for reliability...

While some... they crank their engines to near "top" range output but the reliability long term is compromised, benefits however are the performance is good... atleast at the start. Example European engines that are 2 liter turbos cranking out 250kWs and 500 Nm torque numbers at low RPMs... great performance, but I would bet engine parts wear out as they approach 30,000 miles...

MA617M

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
lots
That 2JZ VVTI tho..
haha, I have the exact engine.

They weren't simple at the time, especially the turbo design. Piston squirters, high flow MAFs and Map air metering, steel head gaskets, COP, individual coil and injector control, composite parts used in the name of weight savings, 2 piece oil pan, etc, all fancy stuff for Toyota motors of the time. Whearas in truck land then, Toyota was still actually using 22res. A 20+ year old SOHC motor design. The only other motor in Toyota's lineup at the time that had more advanced tech in it would have been the silver top 4age's that never made it out of Japan. They were experimenting with 5 valves per cylinder, the first version of their VVT and ITBs.
Don't get me wrong - I love the JZ engines.

I get what you're saying and I agree - the best technology Toyota had at the time was on the 2JZ. But none of these technologies were new (some even for Toyota - the 7M had Karman-vortex style AFM, oil squirters, sequential injection with closed loop O2 control) on a global scale.

I didn't mean truck literally either - but more in the sense of the JZ is so simplistic in it's design (forgetting fuelling and ignition bolt on technologies of course) which led itself to lasting for years at obscene power levels. In terms of mechanical/internal design, it's closer to a simple road car engine than it is a true race engine.

A lot of german performance cars had whole alloy blocks in the early 80s, direct injection, COP etc. Nikasil bore liners etc. Even the M117.965 for example.

My point is, if this project brings a lot of new-school tech and thinking to old-school tough and reliability, we could have a very cool engine on our hands

MLG Tofu Shop

First Name
Goh
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Toyota Vios
haha, I have the exact engine.

Don't get me wrong - I love the JZ engines.

I get what you're saying and I agree - the best technology Toyota had at the time was on the 2JZ. But none of these technologies were new (some even for Toyota - the 7M had Karman-vortex style AFM, oil squirters, sequential injection with closed loop O2 control) on a global scale.

I didn't mean truck literally either - but more in the sense of the JZ is so simplistic in it's design (forgetting fuelling and ignition bolt on technologies of course) which led itself to lasting for years at obscene power levels. In terms of mechanical/internal design, it's closer to a simple road car engine than it is a true race engine.

A lot of german performance cars had whole alloy blocks in the early 80s, direct injection, COP etc. Nikasil bore liners etc. Even the M117.965 for example.

My point is, if this project brings a lot of new-school tech and thinking to old-school tough and reliability, we could have a very cool engine on our hands
Why BMW and Toyota are still so quiet about this engine? The Z4 has already officially debut.

86Driver

First Name
DB
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Toyota 86
I found these reviews kinda exciting.
Still canā€™t see the car properly obviously... (and a nice interior is key for what will be a Porsche-priced car).
But on the face of the reviews and comments like ā€œcayman rivalā€, ā€œsupra is backā€, and my favourite ā€œPorsche killerā€ Iā€™m really keen to see this thing launched now.

The only thing Iā€™m holding my breath on is the price. Toyota is good company, but letā€™s face it; that key ring doesnā€™t have quite the same prestige as a Porsche and maybe even BMW. Iā€™d have this over a Z4 or M2 any day though. But would I have it over a Cayman???

I am really excited about whatā€™s been said so far.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.