Road bike in trunk? / Mountain Biking with your Supra

Blindspot

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Toyota Supra
So I've been debating this for a long time. I gave up on it until this week. I traded my Felt Decree 3 for the Trek fuel ex 9.8 gx axs gen 6 and the Trek FX Sport 6. They're both carbon and the FX is only 20 lbs, while the Fuel is around 31 lbs. They're both medium size.

I'm curious as to when you mount the bike on the Seasucker, how does it stay up as you secure it?? I'm guessing you gotta hold it as you put the screw in? I'm also concern about marring the paint over time.

I'll probably order the Talon this weekend after I pick up both my bikes this Friday. I'm gonna try to see if I can get them both to fit in the trunk first. I did see this video on youtube and it made me ease a little bit on the concern.

I wrote this review of the Sea Sucker years ago when I had a different car, but Iā€™d still say all the same things about it. It can be awkward but I like your idea of putting the bike on the rack before putting the rack on the car - Iā€™ll try that.

I can get my large-ish BMC gravel bike in the hatch but I have to remove the seat post which is a PIA thanks to the dumbass wedge clamp design šŸ™„ I bought a heavy duty dog blanket that I use as a trunk liner.

I love seeing people put bikes on or in their silly impractical cars so they can do the fun thing on their way to do the fun thing, then also do the fun thing on the way home. The people in this thread are so good.

A44ACE40-1765-44A3-A11A-1256318CD6A6.jpeg
Sponsored

darkknight302

First Name
Dang
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0 Premiun
So I got the Talon but the back mount is a bit small? Will it fit my 2.5 in tires? Is there only one size or a bigger one? I tested it and it doesn't fit as it's a bit small. I'm kinda scared to mount my Fuel EX up there now.

Supra_UK_

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Ex-Owner '23 GR Supra 6MT
Genuine question please: as someone else said earlier, generally speaking any suction cup I ever used at least, needs a completely clean, oil/wax free surface.

So does everyone using these suction cups use a designated 'panel wipe' product on their roofs/glass as part of the process? Also there's almost no flat spots as the car roof is so curvy, does that not lead to the edges of the cup not adhering perfectly?

I can't imagine it being safe with any sort of residual basic wash 'n wax soap / sealant residue which almost any person/car wash would use which would greatly reduce adhesion.

When you say "it holds 230 lbs per cup", anything is only as strong as the base, if you have a giant Sequoia tree 100 feet tall, it can hold 1000s of lbs, but if the land slides beneath it just a little, guess what happens to that tree. šŸ¤”

Roof racks generally don't rely on suction but are part of a secured frame.

The shower example someone used is good, people tend to drill things in their own shower at home vs using suction cups, just so a bottle of shampoo won't fall on your foot causing a small pain - in contrast, to think I believe someone here was bragging of speeding at 120 mph with a metal structure held by suction cups on the roof, wow, Bravo, aren't you the man?

Last edited:

STV3

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Toyota Supra 3.0 Premium
So I got the Talon but the back mount is a bit small? Will it fit my 2.5 in tires? Is there only one size or a bigger one? I tested it and it doesn't fit as it's a bit small. I'm kinda scared to mount my Fuel EX up there now.
Are you using the rear cup with the velcro strap or the plastic one? I was able to fit my 2.8 tire in there with no issues. I've also only used the velcro strap.

darkknight302

First Name
Dang
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0 Premiun
Are you using the rear cup with the velcro strap or the plastic one? I was able to fit my 2.8 tire in there with no issues. I've also only used the velcro strap.
The one that came with the Talon is velcro. This is what it looks like. I haven't mount it yet. It does fit my Trek FX Sport 6 tires but I'm a bit worry about my Fuel EX's tires.

IMG_2695.JPG
IMG_2696.JPG
IMG_2697.JPG

STV3

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Toyota Supra 3.0 Premium
The one that came with the Talon is velcro. This is what it looks like. I haven't mount it yet. It does fit my Trek FX Sport 6 tires but I'm a bit worry about my Fuel EX's tires.

IMG_2695.JPG
IMG_2696.JPG
IMG_2697.JPG
Yeah that's absolutely fine. You have plenty of overlap with the velcro. None of my MTB tires actually fit within the slot on the mount. As long as the velcro is synched down nice and tight you're good.

Blindspot

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Toyota Supra
2ECB6208-E89B-42CB-9952-440FC9CBD72D.jpeg

Managed to get my large-sized Fuel EX into the trunk. All I had to do was remove the headset, handlebar, and fork, front brake, dropper post, both wheels, the derailleur, pedals, and the upper trunion boltsā€¦. Easy šŸ¤”šŸ™„
Sponsored