Rocks between rotor and shield - How to make it stop?

razorlab

First Name
Bryan / Briana
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Not a Corvette.
In my opinion, Stock rotor is not cheaper option. Although it is the one of better options. each cost about $250 and is sided, left & right. you cannot swap it otherwise air will concentrate to center rather than dissipate. - negative effect than original design. Cheaper ones such as centric does not have side which means air vents are straight and may not dissipate hot air as stock rotors mounted correctly. - would be better than stock rotors mounted reversed though :D more expensive centric - I thought I saw at rockauto - is sided as well as about same price as stock rotor. with few more $, I would prefer stock rotor in that case.

Also, I would not use drilled rotor on track on any car. last time used it on s2000, cracked it in single 15 min. session...

I'm testing out zimmermann at the moment. price is about same as stock. brake feels good so far /w hawk HP+.
OEM Brembo fronts can be found for $150 each new.
Sponsored

Carl - Driveway Labs

Gold Sponsor
First Name
Carl
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0 Premium, 2021 Ascent Touring
I'm gonna make some flat replacements for the brake shield.

you guys want aluminum or carbon fiber? I have a capability to make carbon safe for 2,000 degrees

FLtrackdays

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 Supra 3.0, ND MX5 Club, VW GTI MK7.5
I'm gonna make some flat replacements for the brake shield.

you guys want aluminum or carbon fiber? I have a capability to make carbon safe for 2,000 degrees
Inexpensive? Otherwise I'm okay with taking them off. Do they serve any other purpose besides holding rocks 🤪

Carl - Driveway Labs

Gold Sponsor
First Name
Carl
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Inexpensive? Otherwise I'm okay with taking them off. Do they serve any other purpose besides holding rocks 🤪
they protect all the all the soft bit from the heat from the rotors, it also directs air to cool your brakes

FLtrackdays

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
they protect all the all the soft bit from the heat from the rotors, it also directs air to cool your brakes
Making me think (in a good way) to just make the jump to brake ducts and steele brake lines. Seems to be the natural progression if we’re really going to track these things.

Carl - Driveway Labs

Gold Sponsor
First Name
Carl
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Making me think (in a good way) to just make the jump to brake ducts and steele brake lines. Seems to be the natural progression if we’re really going to track these things.
with brake ducts you still need a backing plate, and stainless lines still conduct heat which will still add to fluid temp.

stainless lines are for strength, not cooling

FLtrackdays

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
with brake ducts you still need a backing plate, and stainless lines still conduct heat which will still add to fluid temp.

stainless lines are for strength, not cooling
I was referring to durability and reduced expansion. But heck yeah, look forward to seeing your final product :)

Carl - Driveway Labs

Gold Sponsor
First Name
Carl
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)