Safe Brake Pads - to and from HPDE

gcmak

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra
I've appreciated the knowledge shared by members on this forum about brake pads within threads covering other topics.

My local tracks are Sonoma Raceway, Laguna Seca, Thunderhill. I have attended 5 HPDE events between a BRZ and Golf R. I care about lap times as a measure of improvement, but I'm ultimately out to have safe fun 1-3 times a year.

There's a lot of good information on Supra builds specific for track duty. I'm curious to hear from those with experience, pad options that would be safe to run to/from/during HPDE events. I have no problems swapping pads at home but prefer not to swap them at the track and a trailer is not a viable option.

Two pads I've come across in research that might fit my desire are:
  1. G-Loc R8
  2. CSG CP
I've seen other pads out there too but they don't have a matching rear pad at this time.

Thanks in advance for enlightening me!
Sponsored

Afterfire

First Name
Ruben
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra, 2006 S2000, 2013 Porsche Cayenne Turbo
Ive driven around town and to tracks ~3hrs away on R12f/R10r and R16(carbotech xp20's)f/R12r in an S2000. Unless its absolutely freezing, I dont have any issues. I drag them a little bit longer before the first couple stop signs but otherwise normal driving. R8's arent bad at all. Dont be too scared about them not biting but as you go up in temp range, they'll just require more heat so just watch the first one or two stops. Just dont get too comfortable or your rotors will wear away before you know it. The freight train noise will remind you about your pads :p

*also this is just my experience, I dont advise to do as I do. Just be safe whatever you do and always leave a little extra "just in case" room when braking.

OP
OP
gcmak

gcmak

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra
Ive driven around town and to tracks ~3hrs away on R12f/R10r and R16(carbotech xp20's)f/R12r in an S2000. Unless its absolutely freezing, I dont have any issues. I drag them a little bit longer before the first couple stop signs but otherwise normal driving. R8's arent bad at all. Dont be too scared about them not biting but as you go up in temp range, they'll just require more heat so just watch the first one or two stops. Just dont get too comfortable or your rotors will wear away before you know it. The freight train noise will remind you about your pads :p

*also this is just my experience, I dont advise to do as I do. Just be safe whatever you do and always leave a little extra "just in case" room when braking.
That's all good to know. Not in love with freight train brake noises but I guess they'll hear me coming!
Most of the track pads have the big disclaimers, "not for street use", and list operating temps that start at above 100C. The R8 seemed to have a good temp range and will likely have enough overhead for my capability.

Afterfire

First Name
Ruben
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
I used to be the same way but now the brake noise comes with the territory of using track pads. I've come to love the sound as its accompanied by track events, sights and other sounds of track competition ā¤

OP
OP
gcmak

gcmak

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra
I used to be the same way but now the brake noise comes with the territory of using track pads. I've come to love the sound as its accompanied by track events, sights and other sounds of track competition ā¤
I had a set of those awful Hawk HP+ pads in a prior car (which aren't even track pads) but despite warnings from 6 people who had that pad before and complained about noise, I didn't listen and boy was that pad LOUD all of the time...super annoying. On the street everyone would turn heads thinking I was just braking metal on metal lol. Never getting those pads again for any car or for any reason lol.

Afterfire

First Name
Ruben
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
I had a set of those awful Hawk HP+ pads in a prior car (which aren't even track pads) but despite warnings from 6 people who had that pad before and complained about noise, I didn't listen and boy was that pad LOUD all of the time...super annoying. On the street everyone would turn heads thinking I was just braking metal on metal lol. Never getting those pads again for any car or for any reason lol.
I had that exact same experience. They were my first track pads and they have been louder than anything I've had since by like double the intensity of the screeching at all speeds. Bedding them in helped but I got rid of them after 2 weeks. Plus I overheated them on track quick so it's not like there's a great benefit.

OP
OP
gcmak

gcmak

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra
I had that exact same experience. They were my first track pads and they have been louder than anything I've had since by like double the intensity of the screeching at all speeds. Bedding them in helped but I got rid of them after 2 weeks. Plus I overheated them on track quick so it's not like there's a great benefit.
Yeah they were not good...

2207A2C0-4D1A-4F29-848A-DFBEE065A0DA.jpeg

TimM.

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra premium
The carbotech XP20ā€™s Iā€™ve been using would work fine for a drive to the track and they come front and rear. The not for road use disclaimer is for excessive wear as far as I know and even though the temp range is high they bite frigginā€™ hard even when cold. They do have the metal-on-metal sound but with anti-squeal applied to the back, itā€™s not excessive.

Also, Iā€™ve seen people mention (mostly corvette forums) that they use a less aggressive compound for the rear. This is a common practice for race cars that do not have antilock brakes and use tires that flat-spot easy. However, the Supra has antilock brakes AND the Supra brake pads are already staggered in size and clamping force. The pads in the back are literally half the size as the fronts. Also, I havenā€™t confirmed this but, I saw one of those semi-pro track junkies disassemble the rear brakes and he noted the Toyota engineers put a more aggressive OEM pad compound on the back and he was pointing out the codes on the front and rear pads. And the part numbers pictured below are for the Supra Premium with the larger rear pads
9DD8F1FD-8059-4145-819F-6EC4B88BA79A.jpeg

OP
OP
gcmak

gcmak

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra
The carbotech XP20ā€™s Iā€™ve been using would work fine for a drive to the track and they come front and rear. The not for road use disclaimer is for excessive wear as far as I know and even though the temp range is high they bite frigginā€™ hard even when cold. They do have the metal-on-metal sound but with anti-squeal applied to the back, itā€™s not excessive.

Also, Iā€™ve seen people mention (mostly corvette forums) that they use a less aggressive compound for the rear. This is a common practice for race cars that do not have antilock brakes and use tires that flat-spot easy. However, the Supra has antilock brakes AND the Supra brake pads are already staggered in size and clamping force. The pads in the back are literally half the size as the fronts. Also, I havenā€™t confirmed this but, I saw one of those semi-pro track junkies disassemble the rear brakes and he noted the Toyota engineers put a more aggressive OEM pad compound on the back and he was pointing out the codes on the front and rear pads. And the part numbers pictured below are for the Supra Premium with the larger rear pads
9DD8F1FD-8059-4145-819F-6EC4B88BA79A.jpeg
Thank you! Pretty sure we watched the same video where they showed the pad ratings for front and rear. Seems like there are good options out there and I was over-thinking the warnings of not for street use.
Sponsored