Scammed by Troya90. Members' advice on how to avoid being This guy

sojusoulja

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
1996 BB NSX, 2003 GPW S2000
I've been active in a couple of enthusiast forums over the years, S2ki and NSXprime, and have had the fortunate run of never being scammed. However, this may be the first time and I really hope that I eat my words.

Weathertech mats and JB4 were posted for sale on 11/24/2021. He wanted payment through Cash App, but I could not get the payment to go through. I instead sent money through Venmo. I have a chain of PM's but in short after having paid on 11/24 he said that the items were shipped on 11/30 and that expected delivery was Dec 4th. Fishy part is that he could not provide a tracking number. Fine, maybe he sent via US Postal and they do lag sometimes. I asked for a tracking number and he said he did not have one but that he paid for shipping insurance and that he would open a claim should I have problems with my package.

As of 12/7/2021 I have not received my items. It seems like he made a few for sale posts since posting the items i've purchased. Just throwing this out there. If and when I do receive my items I will uptdate.
Sponsored

Diablo

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Launch Edition / 2018 4Runner TRD
Not to be a c*nt, but we all need to do our due diligence prior to purchases on any and all forums. Check transaction history, length of time on forums, post count, et al

Last edited:

zrk

First Name
Zack
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra - Nocturnal Black
Sorry to hear OP. JB4 + <some other generic shit> seems to be the MO for these guys. I hope you get your items. but it's not looking great. USPS is jammed up this time of year, so you'll just have to be patient and see.

For everyone reading this, Venmo and PayPal both offer 'Goods and Service' protection now, which helps to mitigate some risk, but always beware when dealing with people you don't know online.

Mason

First Name
Mason
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 3.0
If they truly owned a jb4 for sale then they must have a MKV. I make sure to ask weird questions about the car and the equipment I’m buying (already knowing mostly about it)

Ask what map they run, ask about timings, burger support, EWG wiring, photos of it on their car or a dyno chart.

It helps ??‍♂

SoDakMk5

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0
A photo of their user name with the date with the item helps. PayPal is the only way I buy or sell. Both sides are protected.
I just sold my jb4 and fuel it and had photo with my name with it and used PayPal. He got the items yesterday. I gave him the tracking plus I sent him updates of the tracking along the way. Like others said look into history of them in the group.
Hopefully it all works out.

George Dankha

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 GR Toyota Supra Premium
No tracking is the biggest red flag. Did he say what carrier he used?

Msoupe

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'21 Supra 3.0, Civic Hatch, C10 Pickup
A photo of their user name with the date with the item helps. PayPal is the only way I buy or sell. Both sides are protected.
I just sold my jb4 and fuel it and had photo with my name with it and used PayPal. He got the items yesterday. I gave him the tracking plus I sent him updates of the tracking along the way. Like others said look into history of them in the group.
Hopefully it all works out.
I've bought and sold a ton of parts on FT86club.com forum with no issues. One of their main rules is the same thing SoDakMk5 previously stated.

From FT86Club.com rules thread:
2. You must post AT LEAST ONE picture of the item(s) for sale with a sign included in the photo. On the sign, should be your username, date and the words FT86Club.com on it. It can be handwritten or printed on a piece of paper. No photoshopped signs will be accepted.

Even with this, it's a good idea to do a reverse image search to make sure the photo wasn't reused. And as others have stated, Paypal goods and services can add another layer of protection.

Benjilis

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra MKV, VW CC R-Line
I tried to find a Troy from Debois in the Supra groups on Facebook. No luck.
looks like he had also sold other items recently. RIP those users.

I would suggest to still have some faith until Saturday. He may have opted for the shittier delivery and the holidays did recently occur.

gixxersixxerman

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra
I will only use something other than PayPal goods and services if it's really cheap and if they have a good reputation on the platform, I'm buying said part from. i.e., just bought a Ti bleeder cap for 14$ shipped to me off here using Venmo. The guy has sold a lot of stuff, so I wasn't worried about 14$. BUT anything over 100$ it goes PayPal. when i sell anything i always list the methods I'll take starting with PayPal. I know some don't use it so they can buy parts from me with other sources like cash App or Venmo. I understand the ones that want to use PayPal so i always list it first. I'd never buy an expensive item though without using PayPal.

It sucks all the fraud now. I've been sitting on a 2300$ clutch off my mustang with less than 2500 miles on it still not fully broken in on the pucks and no one wants it for even 1300 shipped. High dollar items just hard to sell sometimes.

Sorry OP if you got scammed. thanks for the PSA.

OP
OP
sojusoulja

sojusoulja

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
1996 BB NSX, 2003 GPW S2000
I tried to find a Troy from Debois in the Supra groups on Facebook. No luck.
looks like he had also sold other items recently. RIP those users.

I would suggest to still have some faith until Saturday. He may have opted for the shittier delivery and the holidays did recently occur.
Yeah thats what I'm hoping as well...
Sponsored

Reactions: zrk