Scraped in parking lot. Touch up or body shop?

mortavious

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 3.0 Premium Absolute Zero
My passenger side rear bumper was scraped in a parking lot and I'm trying to decide what is the best course of action for a repair.

I've been to two body shops so far and they tell me the entire bumper will need to be repainted. One shop quoted me $650, the other $1900 :rolleyes:

Should I just attempt to fix this myself with some touch up paint?? I have a small bottle I ordered awhile ago from speedindustry. That plus step 2 from Dr. colorchip get the job done well enough? Haven't done this before and I'm not looking for perfect. I worry about having someone paint the whole bumper and it looking way off or leading to more issues (parking sensors etc). I guess if I don't like the touch up I can always get it painted anyways...Thanks.

car.jpg
Sponsored

zrk

First Name
Zack
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra - Nocturnal Black
A full bumper repaint is probably the way to go for this, but it's a little hard to say. If they repaint the whole bumper you run the risk of it not quite matching the rest of the car.

If it were me, I'd paint the whole bumper.

obito

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Can someone explain why it’s so hard to paint match an entire panel? I thought if you use the specific paint supplied to the factory that would be fine. Is it related to the age and exposure of elements to the rest of the body?

XtremeMaC

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra
if you don't care about perfect, then attempt to cover it up with touch up. Though, most probably it'll end up being worse than you originally thought... probably won't match exactly...
Also, it's plastic, so won't corrode. you can even leave it be...again if you don't care too much...
They're probably charging you for taking the bumper off, which is not difficult but probably charging standard bumper labor hours.. You could take it off yourself but run into more issues with matching...
If whatever shop you take to isn't a complete illiterate taking parking sensors and the harness out is a 5 min job.
Lastly, Toyota has warnings for baking bumpers. I don't know about rear bumper, but front has lots of support so things shouldn't shrink, but don't take my word for it. Either tell them not to bake it and wait or bake 'em and risk...

Andrew4Supra

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0 / 2018 Mercedes GLC43 / 2016 VW GTI
A full bumper repaint is probably the way to go for this, but it's a little hard to say. If they repaint the whole bumper you run the risk of it not quite matching the rest of the car.

~ I agree.

The Supra white is a 2 stage paint (base and pearl clear coat) and very difficult to match especially with a touch up.

zrk

First Name
Zack
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Can someone explain why it’s so hard to paint match an entire panel? I thought if you use the specific paint supplied to the factory that would be fine. Is it related to the age and exposure of elements to the rest of the body?
Ever try to touch up a little paint on a wall in your house. Environmental conditions, age of the paint, quality of the painter, differences in brushes, etc. It's never exact.

Same goes for cars,

Last edited:

nibble

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
BMW, Honda, Toyota
It's a sore thumb. but that is what bumper cover is for.. putting on touchup will be like putting bandage over the thumb but at least will look better 50 yards away. however, it may happen again. unless you will be attending car show to compete, it will be better to touch up for now and when it gets worse, repaint.

obito

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Let me also say that really sucks and I hope you get your peace of mind back after the fact. Just remember you can always cover stuff with a wrap or livery/decals ?

Half Vast

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
20 Supra, 01 Tundra Limited, 00 4Runner

Tend to agree with @zrk on this. With that color, you'd easily spot a touch-up. Unless you've done it before, it's not that easy to feather in the edges for a seamless look.

SupraYYJ

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Toyota GR Supra 3.0
My passenger side rear bumper was scraped in a parking lot and I'm trying to decide what is the best course of action for a repair.
If it were me, I'd have the whole bumper repaired and repainted, probably at a BMW-certified collision repair shop. It won't be cheap, and the paint won't be an exact match, but take a close look at your picture: your current bumper's paint also isn't an exact match for the adjacent panels. It's the same on my Absolute Zero car. All the plastic parts are a slightly different colour than the the metal body panels. One-stage touch-up paint will look far worse than a proper two-stage respray.

FYI, Toyota's collision repair manual says the bumper must not be repainted:

image-2.png

I assume this is paranoia over negatively impacting the blind sport monitor sensors.

(Of course, if you don't really care how it looks, use touch-up paint. If you don't care how it looks, though, why did you buy a Supra?)

zrk

First Name
Zack
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
(Of course, if you don't really care how it looks, use touch-up paint. If you don't care how it looks, though, why did you buy a Supra?)
Right. You can build a foxbody that runs 8s for like nothing these days, but then you have a foxbody.

Cptnslo

First Name
Colton
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 MKV 3.0 Supra
Right. You can build a foxbody that runs 8s for like nothing these days, but then you have a foxbody.
Lmao have you looked at the cost of LS engines and foxbodies now haha you can’t do that anymore lmao junkyard 5.3s are so expensive now. That’s literally the majority of engines I see and work with every day and the guys I work with bitch about it all the time baha

SupraMKV2.0

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Website
twinskrulldesign.com
Car(s)
2023 M550i, 2023 M340i, 2021 Supra
Even if they paint the entire rear bumper, they may still have to run a blend onto conjoining panels. This particular white paint is difficult to match. If you want it done correctly, it won’t be cheap.
Sponsored