Sell?!

Do I wait to see if my neck injury improves or take advantage of the market?

• Total voters

mokleen

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 Toyota Supra 3.0 Premium
Take the money. I’m looking at over $18k in repairs now that I hit 30k miles. Pcv, manifold, turbo, not to mention serious scoring.
I’m tuned so Toyota laughed in my face.
Whoa wait - what happened? I thought the b58 was durable?
Sponsored

Escapist

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 GR Supra, 2016 Yamaha R1
Holy crap that's an extremely solid offer! That's thousands less than what I paid brand new for my 2020 Premium.

OP
OP
dkmcclelland

dkmcclelland

First Name
Dustin
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 3.0 GR Supra
Holy crap that's an extremely solid offer! That's thousands less than what I paid brand new for my 2020 Premium.
Yeah, I mean I got a really good deal last December. So I have a decent amount of positive equity. But after visiting the chiropractor this week my pain is getting better so I am hopeful I don’t need to sell it.

Escapist

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Samples and tearing down the engine. The oil is meant for emissions standards not the longevity of the engine. I had a senior Toyota mechanic (20+ years) tell me that the Supra is meant only to make it through warranty, then have serious issues: solenoids, valve cover gasket failure, etc. He named at least 6 major problems he sees evidence of in their initial phases for the model in general. MY2021 is the same, he believes.
Yea my friend who's a BMW master tech recommended I switch to a heavier oil after I took my car to him for my initial oil change. I have Amsoil 0w-20 in her right now but I'll be switching to a heavier oil for the next oil change. Currently almost at 6k miles on the odo.

Escapist

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Yeah, I mean I got a really good deal last December. So I have a decent amount of positive equity. But after visiting the chiropractor this week my pain is getting better so I am hopeful I don’t need to sell it.
Same, I bought mine in October of last year so I got a great deal. I'm modified however so Carmax would wholesale mine and the offer wouldn't be nearly as good as yours. Glad you're feeling a bit better though! I've driven C7's and 911's and this car is the most difficult and least graceful to get in and out of.

OP
OP
dkmcclelland

dkmcclelland

First Name
Dustin
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 3.0 GR Supra
Same, I bought mine in October of last year so I got a great deal. I'm modified however so Carmax would wholesale mine and the offer wouldn't be nearly as good as yours. Glad you're feeling a bit better though! I've driven C7's and 911's and this car is the most difficult and least graceful to get in and out of.
It’s an art form. Lol.

Batlwagn

First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
21 Supra
Glad you're feeling better! Chiropractor did wonders for me. Along with cleaning up my diet and regular excercise

digicidal

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra, 2020 RX350, 2007 4Runner
Samples and tearing down the engine. The oil is meant for emissions standards not the longevity of the engine. I had a senior Toyota mechanic (20+ years) tell me that the Supra is meant only to make it through warranty, then have serious issues: solenoids, valve cover gasket failure, etc. He named at least 6 major problems he sees evidence of in their initial phases for the model in general. MY2021 is the same, he believes.
Well, if you're having those problems at only 30K then it's definitely not a "make it through warranty" situation... they're selling 100K warranties for only a couple grand. Although I guess, for Toyota, what's a couple million in warranty replacements - considering how many will actually be left stock and allowed to actually collect on them. :rolleyes:

AustinGRSupra

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 GR Supra
So you're saying based on that 5w30 is the answer? Can you post oil sample and tear down photos?
Haven’t made any recommendations for oil. You do you. As for photos, I have found all the expertise I need at my performance shop. We’re already making good headway on it, and I should be back in a few weeks with a bigger turbo, WMI, a new manifold, heat exchanger, transmission upgrade, and a few other goodies (coil overs, full SPL).

Last edited:

Zupra1776

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 MKV Supra and floating toys.
Haven’t made any recommendations for oil. You do you. As for photos, I have found all the expertise I need at my performance shop. We’re already making good headway on it, and I should be back in a few weeks with a bigger turbo, WMI, a new manifold, heat exchanger, transmission upgrade, and a few other goodies (coil overs, full SPL).
That's awesome, but I guess what I'm looking for here is what would be your recommendation based on your experience to current owners looking to avoid a major failure at 30k miles?

AustinGRSupra

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 GR Supra
Well, if you're having those problems at only 30K then it's definitely not a "make it through warranty" situation... they're selling 100K warranties for only a couple grand. Although I guess, for Toyota, what's a couple million in warranty replacements - considering how many will actually be left stock and allowed to actually collect on them. :rolleyes:
My warranty was 36k.

AustinGRSupra

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 GR Supra
That's awesome, but I guess what I'm looking for here is what would be your recommendation based on your experience to current owners looking to avoid a major failure at 30k miles?
You don’t want a rec from me. If I knew a lot about oil I *might* not have gotten into this mess. I would say talk to a trusted performance shop in your area or if there are more than one, you could get second opinion. I talked (too late) to people at 3 shops. While they offered different opinions about the oil to switch to, they did all agree on one thing: 0w20 + Texas heat + spirited/hard driving = recipe for disaster in the B58.

underdonk

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'21 Supra 3.0 Premium
You don’t want a rec from me. If I knew a lot about oil I *might* not have gotten into this mess. I would say talk to a trusted performance shop in your area or if there are more than one, you could get second opinion. I talked (too late) to people at 3 shops. While they offered different opinions about the oil to switch to, they did all agree on one thing: 0w20 + Texas heat + spirited/hard driving = recipe for disaster in the B58.
We're kind of hijacking this thread, but did they make a recommendation on oil? 5w-30? 5w-40?

Zupra1776

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 MKV Supra and floating toys.
We're kind of hijacking this thread, but did they make a recommendation on oil? 5w-30? 5w-40?
So this thread really made me question the 0w-20. I'm at about 4k miles changed the original factory oil a few hundred miles ago and was going to go 3k (7k total miles)to change again to 0w20.

So I reached out to a friend of mine who owns a shop working on BMWs and has been in the business for 20 years and is just a very smart and reputable individual. I asked him his thoughts on the 0w-20 and he said in hot weather when you're pushing the car is just not thick enough. Take that for what you will, I'm just a guy on the internet who knows a guy...but IMO that was the gospel. I will let this 0w-20 sit in the car until I hit 5k and will be switching to 5w-30 every 3k moving forward.

Will likely be using the full synthetic gold bottle Castrol 5quart jugs they sell at Walmart. Used that stuff for 8 years in my old M3 and it ran like a top until the day I sold it to someone who is own their third track season with it.
Sponsored

Last edited: