Servicing brakes

FLtrackdays

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 Supra 3.0, ND MX5 Club, VW GTI MK7.5
So if I go this route I wouldn’t put any high temp grease on the pad shim correct?
Depends on the brand of pad. Some have a shim, some don’t. Higher quality or race pads won’t for example. You put the grease that comes with them directly on the back surface. They will fit tightly if installed properly.

ShakaDaKine

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'21 TG 3.0
So if I go this route I wouldn’t put any high temp grease on the pad shim correct?
I only lubricated the pins. The tape goes on the backings, so you wouldn't want to apply anything else there. The idea is that the tape keeps the pad snug against the piston. That's why it's a PITA to get tha factory pads off.

FLtrackdays

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 Supra 3.0, ND MX5 Club, VW GTI MK7.5
I only lubricated the pins. The tape goes on the backings, so you wouldn't want to apply anything else there. The idea is that the tape keeps the pad snug against the piston. That's why it's a PITA to get tha factory pads off.
I’ve never tried them. Only used grease. But I believe ya! I wonder if tracking would cook that tape? Hawk DTCs had more “wiggle” room than the project mu’s that were recently installed. I don’t think even tape would have fit with those pads 😂

OP
OP
Carbon0

Carbon0

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 supra
I’ve never tried them. Only used grease. But I believe ya! I wonder if tracking would cook that tape? Hawk DTCs had more “wiggle” room than the project mu’s that were recently installed. I don’t think even tape would have fit with those pads 😂
Well it seems like the tape route makes the pad stick to the pistons so it shouldn’t move around even if there is a bunch of wiggle room to the sides.

nibble

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
BMW, Honda, Toyota
Well it seems like the tape route makes the pad stick to the pistons so it shouldn’t move around even if there is a bunch of wiggle room to the sides.
backing plate/shim is one holding the pads. glue is not strong enough for force on the brake.
Sponsored