decodeddiesel

First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra, 2016 VW Tiguan, 2007 Cayman
Hello,

I own a 2020 3.0 Premium, and I live within ~1 hour of three great tracks (Lime Rock, Palmer, Thompson). I have been daily driving my car for just about 2 years, and I am going to be retiring the car from those duties soon. I'm not looking to ruin the car for street driving as I want to be able to occasionally drive the car to work (30 mile commute, shitty New England roads), and I really enjoy road tripping in the car.

Last season I participated in several novice level HPDEs with an instructor at Thompson and Palmer with the car in more or less stock form on stock tires. I also participated in Auto-X for a few seasons years ago on other platforms (2005 STi, 2007 Cayman) and have done the SCCA Starting Line Driving School. This year I would like to make some modifications to my car to improve track performance and move to 200tw tires. I am still very much a novice, but I am interested in getting better. I would like to keep the costs below $10k. I will be doing all of the work myself.

Mods so far:
  • OEM brake fluid swapped for for RBF600
  • Changed to LiquidMoly Special Tec for BMWs engine oil (5W-30)
  • Stage 1 ECUTEK tune from Mike Botti (mainly done to eliminate the burbles)
  • Currently I have Continental DWS-06+ tires on my stock wheels and plan to keep it this way for road driving. I will need to purchase new tires and wheels.
  • Helmet, gloves, shoes, fireproof socks, underwear, and shirts.
Wants:
  • After reviewing Apex's Tire and Wheel Guide and based on my experience, I would like to go to a square 18x10" setup running 275-35R18 tires. I'll probably get the SM-10s in 18x10 ET30. The ability to rotate tires being the main reason, the handling benefits and reduction in understeer are also enticing. I'm not sure what I'll need for spacers to use 10" wheels on the stock struts, but I assume I'll need at least 10mm.
  • For tires I'm looking into some decent 200tw tires that won't overheat during a 30+ minute lapping session, and will last for a few events. Been considering A052, RE71RS (loved the original RE-71R for Auto-X), and the Continental Extreme Contact Force 200tws.
  • Jackie Ding's PhD Racing Level 1 and Level 2 handling packages are very interesting. The stock pads seem to work well enough with the stock tires, but I know stickier tires will put a lot more heat into the pads on track. The CSG pads hopefully will solve this issue. It's always bothered me that the suspension is so limited in it's alignment capabilities. Not being able to adjust camber out of the box is a real PITA, and I realize that most of the tires I am interested in will benefit from a -2° to -3° of camber. The Level 2 package will fix that and will reduce body roll with the Eibach Swaybars. This kit is $3.5k, but it solves a lot of problems.
  • I would like to upgrade the seats and be able to use at least a Schroth 4-point with ASM and a HANS device for my helmet. I am strongly considering the Recaro Sportster CS. I would like to be able to keep the seat heating functionality if possible. I'm about 6'2" tall and have a 38" waist. I have a bad back from my time in the service, and fixed back seats are not fun for longer drives. I'm not sure what I'll need for bases and sliders, but something that would let me sit a little lower and gain more clearance for my helmet would be awesome.
  • Given that I would like to use a harness, I am looking at the Cusco harness bar although it has some mixed reviews from what I've read. I may be interested in a roll bar and the Studio RSR Version 2 Roll Bar is very interesting although it's pricey.
Future plans:
  • I know I'll need cooling upgrades. I'm looking at the CSF kit. Should this be a higher priority? I haven't experienced overheating at the track yet and I want to keep it that way.
  • MCS 2-way coilovers (or equivalent) and 18x11 wheels will probably go in next year with some aero. Looking at 295 square setup.
  • Verus Engineering full aero probably the year after that.
  • Turbo Upgrade at some point. I'll probably go Pure 800 with supporting mods and tune for race gas and 93+ methanol for street use. I don't want to kill my transmission or driveshafts so 600 hp is plenty.
I'm really interested in feedback and critique from the community here. I have no plans to do any kind of events with my car in the next 5 years, just HPDEs and club days.

ETA 3/26/23

I posted this update further into the thread, but I figured I'd put it up front.

So here's a rundown of what I've decided to go with:

Driver Upgrades (Purchased):
  • 3-pack of SCDA Car Control Clinic at Lime Rock park. This includes a wet skidpad and a ~1 mile permanent AutoX course. First day scheduled for March 25th.
  • 3-pack of SCDA track days with in-car instruction. Planning on doing 1 at Palmer, Lime Rock (full course), and Thompson.
  • Still need to buy track insurance, but my CC needs a little break!
Brake Upgrades (Ordered):
  • Project-µ Club Racer F+R Pads
  • Castrol SRF (I'll try the Endless fluid next)
  • Goodrich SS lines
  • Verus MC Brace
200 tw tires and supporting mods (Ordered)
  • Kumho Ecsta V730 275/35R18 (square)
  • Titan 7 T-R10 18"x10.7"
  • 15mm spacers front and rear (temporary until I upgrade to MCS 2-ways)
  • Cusco Sway Bars
  • Jackie Ding's Level 2 Handling Kit
    • SPL Front Lower Control Arms
    • SPL Adjustable Front Caster Rod Monoball Bushings
    • SPL Rear Toe Links + Eccentric Lockouts
    • SPL F&R Adjustable Swaybar links
    • PhD Racing Lab Setup Guide and Support
  • Wheel Stud Conversion with 90mm studs
  • TPMS for all 4 wheels
ETA 8/15/23: Final update on Page 26. Thanks for reading!
Sponsored

Last edited:

DarkZupra

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0, 2021 Tesla M3P
Hello,

I own a 2020 3.0 Premium, and I live within ~1 hour of three great tracks (Lime Rock, Palmer, Thompson). I have been daily driving my car for just about 2 years, and I am going to be retiring the car from those duties soon. I'm not looking to ruin the car for street driving as I want to be able to occasionally drive the car to work (30 mile commute, shitty New England roads), and I really enjoy road tripping in the car.

Last season I participated in several novice level HPDEs with an instructor at Thompson and Palmer with the car in more or less stock form on stock tires. I also participated in Auto-X for a few seasons years ago on other platforms (2005 STi, 2007 Cayman) and have done the SCCA Starting Line Driving School. This year I would like to make some modifications to my car to improve track performance and move to 200tw tires. I am still very much a novice, but I am interested in getting better. I would like to keep the costs below $10k. I will be doing all of the work myself.

Mods so far:
  • Currently I have Continental DWS-06+ tires on my stock wheels and plan to keep it this way for road driving. I will need to purchase new tires and wheels.
Wants:
  • After reviewing Apex's Tire and Wheel Guide and based on my experience, I would like to go to a square 18x10" setup running 275-35R18 tires. I'll probably get the SM-10s in 18x10 ET30. The ability to rotate tires being the main reason, the handling benefits and reduction in understeer are also enticing. I'm not sure what I'll need for spacers to use 10" wheels on the stock struts, but I assume I'll need at least 10mm.
  • For tires I'm looking into some decent 200tw tires that won't overheat during a 30+ minute lapping session, and will last for a few events. Been considering A052, RE71RS (loved the original RE-71R for Auto-X), and the Continental Extreme Contact Force 200tws.
  • Jackie Ding's PhD Racing Level 1 and Level 2 handling packages are very interesting. The stock pads seem to work well enough with the stock tires, but I know stickier tires will put a lot more heat into the pads on track. The CSG pads hopefully will solve this issue. It's always bothered me that the suspension is so limited in it's alignment capabilities. Not being able to adjust camber out of the box is a real PITA, and I realize that most of the tires I am interested in will benefit from a -2° to -3° of camber. The Level 2 package will fix that and will reduce body roll with the Eibach Swaybars. This kit is $3.5k, but it solves a lot of problems.
  • I would like to upgrade the seats and be able to use at least a Schroth 4-point with ASM and a HANS device for my helmet. I am strongly considering the Recaro Sportster CS. I would like to be able to keep the seat heating functionality if possible. I'm about 6'2" tall and have a 38" waist. I have a bad back from my time in the service, and fixed back seats are not fun for longer drives. I'm not sure what I'll need for bases and sliders, but something that would let me sit a little lower and gain more clearance for my helmet would be awesome.
  • Given that I would like to use a harness, I am looking at the Cusco harness bar although it has some mixed reviews from what I've read. I may be interested in a roll bar and the Studio RSR Version 2 Roll Bar is very interesting although it's pricey.
Future plans:
  • I know I'll need cooling upgrades. I'm looking at the CSF kit. Should this be a higher priority? I haven't experienced overheating at the track yet and I want to keep it that way.
  • MCS 2-way coilovers (or equivalent) and 18x11 wheels will probably go in next year with some aero. Looking at 295 square setup.
  • Turbo Upgrade at some point. I'll probably go Pure 800 with supporting mods and tune for race gas and 93+ methanol for street use. I don't want to kill my transmission or driveshafts so 600 hp is plenty.
I'm really interested in feedback and critique from the community here. I have no plans to do any kind of events with my car in the next 5 years, just HPDEs and club days.

Thank you in advance!
My 2 cents - For the interior, I have custom Recaro Sportster CS from AMX Performance. Plug and Play seat heating and airbags. Im not doing a harness, but if I was, I would do either the CMS or StudioRSR cage. For you, since youre about my height, id lean towards the CMS since you dont lose any leg room with it. Even with the V2 RSR, you lose about 3 inches. AMX provides mounts that will drop your head room by 1.5-2" (its the only way i fit with a helmet). Feel free to check out my build thread, IG, or website for more info on the seats, or DM me.

Rocksandblues

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra, e46 M3, diesel BMW e90, GL450
Sounds like you are the right path.

you need to careful on how far down the track rabbit hole you go with the Supra. ie- the more you make it a track weapon the less fun and practical it is as a daily.

I have gone VERY far and have basically destroyed a perfectly nice little sports car. In hindsight i wish i had stopped and kept or sold the Supra as a decent sprots car and bought a caged actual race car.

Last edited:
OP
OP
decodeddiesel

decodeddiesel

First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
My 2 cents - For the interior, I have custom Recaro Sportster CS from AMX Performance. Plug and Play seat heating and airbags. Im not doing a harness, but if I was, I would do either the CMS or StudioRSR cage. For you, since youre about my height, id lean towards the CMS since you dont lose any leg room with it. Even with the V2 RSR, you lose about 3 inches. AMX provides mounts that will drop your head room by 1.5-2" (its the only way i fit with a helmet). Feel free to check out my build thread, IG, or website for more info on the seats, or DM me.
Thank you for replying! I have read several of your posts in the 2 years I've been lurking here. Love your Supra BTW.

It sounds like AMX is the right way to go.

OP
OP
decodeddiesel

decodeddiesel

First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Sounds like you are the right path.

you need to careful on how far down the track rabbit hole you go with the Supra. ie- the more you make it a track weapon the less fun and practical it is as a daily.

I have gone VERY far and have basically destroyed a perfectly nice little sports car. In hindsight i wish i had stopped and kept or sold the Supra as a decent sprots car and bought a caged actually race car.
That's great advice. I want to be very careful about what I do to the car. I'm willing to spend the money to do things the right way the first time. I'm leery about coilovers from past experiences, but I know MCS are great dampers and will work well for the occasional commute and road trip.

I'm not looking to move onto anything else in the near future. I almost bought a 2012 Cayman R last month which I would have traded the Supra for, but I convinced myself to stick with the A90. I really love this car.

razorlab

First Name
Bryan / Briana
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Not a Corvette.
Hello,

Mods so far:
Wants:
Future plans:

Thank you in advance!
Where are you located? I frequent the same tracks and we have a couple other supra owners here that do the same.

I feel like I have my supra setup right to the edge of being very capable on track while not sucking to drive on the street. If you are close, you are welcome to come by and check it out. I run the MCS 2WNR.

Highly recommend the Nankang CR-S for track use. They are actually very civil on the street too. Very quiet, ride well, etc. A052 turns into pudding, RE71RS seems to as well.

Cooling wise, nothing really helps until you get an upgraded manifold-cooler. Don't waste your money on the radiators.

Hope to see you out at Lime Rock and Palmer! With stock power and suspension upgrades, the Supra is faster than GT4's at Lime Rock and can give GT3's a hard time.

OP
OP
decodeddiesel

decodeddiesel

First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Where are you located? I frequent the same tracks and we have a couple other supra owners here that do the same.

I feel like I have my supra setup right to the edge of being very capable on track while not sucking to drive on the street. If you are close, you are welcome to come by and check it out. I run the MCS 2WNR.

Highly recommend the Nankang CR-S for track use. They are actually very civil on the street too. Very quiet, ride well, etc. A052 turns into pudding, RE71RS seems to as well.

Cooling wise, nothing really helps until you get an upgraded manifold-cooler. Don't waste your money on the radiators.

Hope to see you out at Lime Rock and Palmer! With stock power and suspension upgrades, the Supra is faster than GT4's at Lime Rock and can give GT3's a hard time.

Razorlab, I really appreciate your response. Like DarkZupra and Rocksandblues, I have spent a lot of time reading your posts and following your build.

I live in Central Connecticut. I did a track day last year at Thompson with SCDA with John Gagne instructing me. I had a great time! I haven't made it out to Lime Rock yet, but it's on my short list this year.

I was definitely looking at the CR-Ss through PhD racing. Thanks for pushing me in that direction.

Great tip on the cooling. I will wait and do the manifold upgrade if I start having issues.

You're talking my language when comparing to the P-cars. The whole reason I got the Supra was it was a competitor to the Cayman and used the Cayman as it's performance benchmark. That's really good to hear that when I don't suck as much I'll be a threat to some of those cars lmfao.

razorlab

First Name
Bryan / Briana
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Not a Corvette.
Razorlab, I really appreciate your response. Like DarkZupra and Rocksandblues, I have spent a lot of time reading your posts and following your build.

I live in Central Connecticut. I did a track day last year at Thompson with SCDA with John Gagne instructing me. I had a great time! I haven't made it out to Lime Rock yet, but it's on my short list this year.

I was definitely looking at the CR-Ss through PhD racing. Thanks for pushing me in that direction.

Great tip on the cooling. I will wait and do the manifold upgrade if I start having issues.

You're talking my language when comparing to the P-cars. The whole reason I got the Supra was it was a competitor to the Cayman and used the Cayman as it's performance benchmark. That's really good to hear that when I don't suck as much I'll be a threat to some of those cars lmfao.
Yea, I was looking at picking up a GT4 before the Supra, but as you know, the prices got out of hand. I'm super happy with my choice now. In fact, with my recent round of upgrades, the supra should be a GT3 killer now.

Since you live close to me, you should also check out Phils Tires. He is here in upstate NY and has a warehouse full of Nankangs and other tires. I just drive out there and pick up tires from him. He also ships. https://philstireservice.com/product/nankang-cr-s/

OP
OP
decodeddiesel

decodeddiesel

First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Yea, I was looking at picking up a GT4 before the Supra, but as you know, the prices got out of hand. I'm super happy with my choice now. In fact, with my recent round of upgrades, the supra should be a GT3 killer now.

Since you live close to me, you should also check out Phils Tires. He is here in upstate NY and has a warehouse full of Nankangs and other tires. I just drive out there and pick up tires from him. He also ships. https://philstireservice.com/product/nankang-cr-s/
Seems like I'm a few hours away from you, but it should make for inexpensive shipping. Thanks for the heads up.

I'm reading your build thread now.

OP
OP
decodeddiesel

decodeddiesel

First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Purchased Project-µ F&R Clubsport Pads and a Verus MC Brace.

I will be purchasing the new forged SM-10RS 18x10 ET30 in the Apex Group Buy and the 275x40R18 Nankang CR-S tires from Phils.

I'm also looking at just what SPL parts I really should use with the MCS coilovers. I don't think I need the entire SPL/Verkline catalog to be able to get a good alignment with wheels/tires/coilovers.

Brake upgrades, tire/wheel upgrades, and coilovers with supporting mods seems to be the best direction to go at this time.

razorlab

First Name
Bryan / Briana
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Not a Corvette.
Purchased Project-µ F&R Clubsport Pads and a Verus MC Brace.

I will be purchasing the new forged SM-10RS 18x10 ET30 in the Apex Group Buy and the 275x40R18 Nankang CR-S tires from Phils.

I'm also looking at just what SPL parts I really should use with the MCS coilovers. I don't think I need the entire SPL/Verkline catalog to be able to get a good alignment with wheels/tires/coilovers.

Brake upgrades, tire/wheel upgrades, and coilovers with supporting mods seems to be the best direction to go at this time.
What camber plates are you going to use with the MCS?

You technically don't need any of the SPL/Verkline parts to get a decent alignment.

Since you have a 2020, I would recommend at the very least the rear toe bars. It really tightens up the rear.

I believe you will also need front sway bar endlinks because the mount on the MCS could possibly be in a different location than OEM. I'm not 100% on this because I never checked.

OP
OP
decodeddiesel

decodeddiesel

First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
What camber plates are you going to use with the MCS?

You technically don't need any of the SPL/Verkline parts to get a decent alignment.

Since you have a 2020, I would recommend at the very least the rear toe bars. It really tightens up the rear.

I believe you will also need front sway bar endlinks because the mount on the MCS could possibly be in a different location than OEM. I'm not 100% on this because I never checked.
I was looking at buying the single adjustable through Vorshlag with their camber plates.

Where did you buy yours?

OP
OP
decodeddiesel

decodeddiesel

First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)

AHP

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 3.0 Premium, 2022 C8 HTC, 2019 Z06
Vehicle Showcase
RE: Brake fluid -- I would suggest Castrol SRF because 1) it's awesome and 2) it's ubiquitous on paddock.

I've run the RE-71RS and Continental ECF. They're both what I would consider an Endurance 200 vs a Super 200. The RE warm up quicker, wear quicker and are faster. They seem a bit more tolerant of higher pressures but do get greasy after extended lapping. The ECF wear like iron, warm up a bit slower, a bit more communicative and predictable in my experience. They prefer lower pressures so your starting cold pressure will be lower, hence the extended warm up time. They are not as fast as the RE but they will last at least 50% longer in my estimation, so this is an either/or proposition. I don't have an apples to apples lap comparison but I have driven on both 180 miles to VIR, ran all weekend and drove back home. The ECF show a comically low amount of wear.
Sponsored