Sim racing without the racing

Cyph

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A91
I just wanted to share with any car guys that don’t know about this or just forgot about it since in the past it was way too expensive and overly complicated to get setup.

Sim racing doesn’t have to be just racing, it can be cruising and canyon runs. Very therapeutic to go on a spirited drive through the LA Canyons/PCH or Tokyo Wangan C1 Loop at night. If you have a decent gaming pc then getting a wheel and pedal setup in my opinion is worth it. The best is a direct drive wheel setup, it’s pricey but can really give an accurate representation of how the steering feels on the limit. (Understeer/oversteer, undulations in the road, upsetting/recovering chassis in corners, etc.)

The game is Assetto Corsa which is the best for cruising and spirited driving. You can download it on steam and then use “AC content manager” and the racedepartment site to download the LA Canyons or other backroad style maps.

My favorite to drive on is the Tokyo highways called Shutoko Revival Project. It requires a bit of work to download and install but is honestly the most amazing driving experience one can get while sitting at home.

Assetto Corsa and my other favorite Dirt Rally 2.0 are both very immersive and the way the physics in each game make the steering wheel feel is close enough to real life. Other games like Forza and Need for Speed don’t translate well when trying to feel the car and the road. Too arcadey.

You can learn how to install all this stuff from tutorials on YouTube. If you love driving in general, getting familiar with how different cars can feel is a great way to fall more in love. Have fun and be safe out there!
Sponsored

Mason

First Name
Mason
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 3.0
48E488F6-BEF3-44EA-A76B-93B41CF52D0F.jpeg

I run AC and dirt2.0. Both very realistic physics. I almost never do setup races. It’s fun to just experience different cars.

Nothing is better than jumping in a boosted Viper on country backroads with no traffic or speed limits. Wrecking cars without consequences is worth the price.

OP
OP
Cyph

Cyph

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A91
48E488F6-BEF3-44EA-A76B-93B41CF52D0F.jpeg

I run AC and dirt2.0. Both very realistic physics. I almost never do setup races. It’s fun to just experience different cars.

Nothing is better than jumping in a boosted Viper on country backroads with no traffic or speed limits. Wrecking cars without consequences is worth the price.
That is a serious setup. Three monitor or ultra wide g9 is the way to go for getting lost in the sauce

image.jpg

32bitsofGil

First Name
Gilbert
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0
I approve of this message

XtremeMaC

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra

Mason

First Name
Mason
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 3.0
That is a serious setup. Three monitor or ultra wide g9 is the way to go for getting lost in the sauce
That’s a sweet rig. I use to rock an ultra wide but it takes it to a whole new level when you are in that perfect driving position that requires you to look between the steering wheel at your cluster, and look right out your mirrors.

also what DD is that? Simlabs??

Tsuekasa

First Name
Henry
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Car(s)
2020 Supra 3.0 Premium 2018 Wrx Sti Base
I also sim race on Asetto corsa and Assetto corsa Competizione. Currently playing GT7. But Assetto Corsa with content manager really helped me practice for the track on Gingerman before I went out there.

Evolution

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
21 Supra
Whats the realistic price of getting into something like this? Starting with nothing and shooting for a middle of the road setup. I would love to get into it but it seems like $5k is the entry price for a decent setup.

SupraBC

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'21 Supra 2.0
Whats the realistic price of getting into something like this? Starting with nothing and shooting for a middle of the road setup. I would love to get into it but it seems like $5k is the entry price for a decent setup.
It's been a while since I looked at hardware prices but for a mid-range setup you're probably not far off:

Gaming PC - $2,000
Monitor/TV - $400
Wheel/pedals - $1,200
Sim rig - $800
2 racing titles - $100

........though of course you can always shop around for deals or buy used.

Mason

First Name
Mason
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 3.0
Depends on if you have a pc and monitor already. For sim racing equipment alone is around 500$ for a very entry level wheel + shifter + 3 pedal combo. I started there

Fantec has some entry level life size wheels + pedals combo deals for starting out. Handbrake and shifter can be bought as simple usb devices on eBay for cheap

https://fanatec.com/us-en/bundles/

Evolution

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
21 Supra
It's been a while since I looked at hardware prices but for a mid-range setup you're probably not far off:

Gaming PC - $2,000
Monitor/TV - $400
Wheel/pedals - $1,200
Sim rig - $800
2 racing titles - $100

........though of course you can always shop around for deals or buy used.

Depends on if you have a pc and monitor already. For sim racing equipment alone is around 500$ for a very entry level wheel + shifter + 3 pedal combo. I started there

Fantec has some entry level life size wheels + pedals combo deals for starting out. Handbrake and shifter can be bought as simple usb devices on eBay for cheap

https://fanatec.com/us-en/bundles/
Awesome. Thanks guys. I am going to start looking in to one of these. They do look like a blast and way better than my current Xbox/Forza setup.

Mason

First Name
Mason
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 3.0
Nice setup! Here's mine:
simrig.jpg
Looking good! 8020 rigs are superior, love to see them.

is that’s a podium 1 or 2 dd base? Thinking of switching to fanatec very soon