Smoke/fumes coming out of left side exhaust but not right? Help!

timmygogdon

First Name
Connor
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra
Hey guys! I have a 2022 Supra and I have a quick question. I noticed there is smoke coming out of the left side of the exhaust but not the right, is it supposed to be like this or is something broken? I noticed there's also fumes coming out the left side when the cars in park but not the right as well. Am I overthinking it? I could've sworn my old 2021 had smoke and fumes come from both exhaust exits.
Sponsored

J29DB03

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Absolute Zero 3.0 Premium
Obvious question, is the valve open?

OP
OP

timmygogdon

First Name
Connor
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra
Obvious question, is the valve open?
Not sure if this is true or not but I called my dealer and apparently the 22s and 23s are made like that? You can turn it on but from factory the right exhaust is apparently closed off to I think he said "let the car warm up better". Would like some more opinions on this though lol

J29DB03

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Not sure if this is true or not but I called my dealer and apparently the 22s and 23s are made like that? You can turn it on but from factory the right exhaust is apparently closed off to I think he said "let the car warm up better". Would like some more opinions on this though lol
Thatā€™s true, all Supras need a little time before it will open the valve. You hit the sport button right after initial start and itā€™s a couple minutes before the valve opens. But if youā€™re already warmed up then itā€™s a little odd to only be coming out of the left.

Tsar

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra
A+ troll/thread. Would read again.

If serious, OP your car is fine.

Reactions: zrk

digicidal

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra, 2020 RX350, 2007 4Runner
Also in comfort mode it will stay closed even if the car is warmed up - normal and expected. However, if (as @J29DB03 indicated) you're in Sport mode, and the car is warmed up and you still have a closed valve... it's possible it's stuck or the fuse is blown?

OP
OP

timmygogdon

First Name
Connor
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra
Also in comfort mode it will stay closed even if the car is warmed up - normal and expected. However, if (as @J29DB03 indicated) you're in Sport mode, and the car is warmed up and you still have a closed valve... it's possible it's stuck or the fuse is blown?
Not a troll thread @Tsar and when the car is warmed up in normal and in sport mode it's the same thing. So should I take it in? I'll look more into it as it's late right now but was the guy from the dealer correct that Toyota makes the cars like that? Only 1 valve is open?

Tsar

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra
Well, we had a thread that asked what the unlock button was for on the gear selector so you never know.

Yes, the valve stays closed til itā€™s in sports mode and is properly warmed up. So ā€œsmokeā€ would only come out from the left side. Totally normal. If the car reached operating temps and is in sports mode but the valve still stays closed then I guess it could warrant a trip to the dealer. Maybe the connector is loose or some other small fuckery like that.

OP
OP

timmygogdon

First Name
Connor
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra
Well, we had a thread that asked what the unlock button was for on the gear selector so you never know.

Yes, the valve stays closed til itā€™s in sports mode and is properly warmed up. So ā€œsmokeā€ would only come out from the left side. Totally normal. If the car reached operating temps and is in sports mode but the valve still stays closed then I guess it could warrant a trip to the dealer. Maybe the connector is loose or some other small fuckery like that.
Okay thanks so much! I'll test it more tomorrow but from testing it real quick I noticed even in sport mode when warmed up, same thing. I'll try it tomorrow morning and if it's still doing it take it in!

J29DB03

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Check the fuse before taking it in. If it turns out to be blown you can save yourself time and money. If itā€™s not then Iā€™d say have it looked at.

XtremeMaC

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra
Get BimmerLink and open/close valve on demand...well at least change when standstill..
And check if valves are working..
Also works to toggle ASD on off
Sponsored