Solve rear-end clunking with lowering springs on the MkV Supra

Thraxbert

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'20 Supra 3L, boosted 3.8L Gen Coupe, '93 Jimny
I'm forking this thread into something new, with an aim to help any random Google passerbys who are experiencing rear suspension clunking on their MkV/A90 Supra after installing lowering springs. I first want to credit @jvang85 for spurring this conversation in the direction of a fix. I also wanted to share my own story.

A Primer on Progressive Rate Springs
Like everyone else in the other thread, I have lowering springs that are progressive rate. Let's start there: what is a progressive spring? You can identify progressive rate springs by a section of equally-spaced coils and a section of tightly-wound coils (illustrated). I have RS-R Super Down springs. "Progressive rate" means that it might take 1X unit of force to compress the spring the first 1" (hypothetically speaking), but it might take 1.5X unit of force to compress the next 1". In other words: The force require to compress the spring increases disproportionately to the amount of compression. The alternative is a linear spring, where each unit of compression always requires the same amount of force: 1" compression = 1X unit of force, the next 1" also = 1x unit of force, and so on until the spring bottoms out.

Lowering springs are almost always progressive because they handle small bumps in the road better than linear springs. When you're taking out spring height (or making the spring rate softer) to lower the car, a spring that can readily resist full compression and rapidly return to "relaxed" position is very advantageous. It absorbs bumps well, doesn't easily reach full compression, and maybe you could say a progressive spring has a very "dynamic character."

Progressive Descent Into Madness
Buuuut that dynamic character is also the drawback. The coils in the tightly-wound section of the spring, under high compression or rapid oscillation, can touch. This is called coil slap. Here's a video of a Toyota 4Runner exhibiting coil slap when the operator manipulates the suspension on jackstands. This is a good visualization of the phenomenon, and you can hear the coils touch in time with the suspension compression. Now, when this happens to you on the road: clunk. Yes, the clunk everyone has complained about, and the clunk that maybe brought you here from Google. The clunking you are feeling from the rear of your car is the force of coil slap being transmitted through the rear subframe.

Can I Avoid This?
Trick question. Eibach, H&R, RS-R, HKS, Swift, Whiteline, Tein... Everybody for the A90 is using progressive springs for the Supra because they have good road manners. You will get rear clunking with every one of these produc-- wait a minute. What's this? Tein SKTJ4-S1B00 for the A90 has COIL ISOLATORS PRE-INSTALLED.

You see, coil isolators are the solution for rear-end clunking with progressive lowering springs on the Supra A90 and, well, any other car. Tein is the only gigabrain company that figured this out and solved the problem from the factory. Kudos to them. So happens they also sell coil isolators to the rest of us under model TEISPR02-G1497. You may also find them listed as Tein Rubber Silencers 90-130mm. These are perfect for the A90 Supra and the in-market spring options.

Make Your Springs Very Lonely With Isolators
To use coil isolators effectively, you should clean your springs up real nice first. Hit 'em with brake cleaner (protect your plastics), soapy wooder, isopropyl, whatever makes you happy. We're doing this because the isolators have a very sticky adhesive inside, and you want that adhesive to work right so the silencers don't come loose and get smashed. You don't need to go nuts with these things, because two sets per side (four isolators per spring) is enough. Like, you're just stopping coils from touching not making a mummy, ok?

Start towards the top of the spring near the upper stop and put isolators on every other coil of the tightly-wound section. Going back to our earlier-in-the-post progressive rate spring illustration, I've flipped and cropped it to match the Supra rear orientation of most springs. After the isolators are installed, your coil should look something like our new reference image at the end of this post. Just in case it isn't clear: red is raw spring, turdy Tein brown are the isolators. (Why Tein did not make these things in the nice Tein green I will never understand.)

I've also attached an image of my RS-R Super Down springs at full extension on a lift to show you just how close these progressive rate coils can be, leaving no question about why they can sometimes touch. The more lowering your springs provide, the worse this rear clunking issue will likely become and, dear reader, let me tell you my car clunked running over a dead leaf. So, you can see that isolators on every other coil isn't just the appropriately miserly thing to do... it may also be a technical requirement of the job.

Exceptions and Disclaimers

I am not your mechanic or your shop. I cannot guarantee all clunking will be solved, because there are a number of ways a lowering spring install can be botched. But, presuming you've installed everything else correctly: your clunk is donezo.

As a series of general tips...
  • Hopefully your shipping spacers were removed by your friends at Toyota.
  • Hopefully you oriented your top hats, dust boots, and spring perches correctly -- line up those notches with the ends of the spring!
  • Hopefully you didn't do anything untowards like remove the front suspension support sub-assembly. You only have to free that one central nut!
  • Hopefully you fished your old bumpstop out of the dustboot and replaced it with the new one if your vendor gives you one
  • Hopefully you put everything back to the right torque:
    • 52 ft-lbs for that central nut on the front struts ("Front Support to Front Shock Absorber Nut")
    • 21 ft-lbs +90 degrees for the four torx bolts on the top strut mount (topside of engine bay)
    • 41 ft-lbs for the endlinks on all corners
    • 122 ft-lbs + 90deg for the rear lower control arm to the knuckle
    • 74 ft-lbs + 90deg for the rear strut to the rear lower control arm
    • Best to tighten endlinks to the strut + swaybars when the car is on its weight, but not everyone has this luxury
    • Do yourself a favor and buy a set of Torx + E-Torx for this car.
Hope this helps somebody out there. "Clunk" doesn't even seem like a real word anymore, now that I've typed it so many times.

isolator.png

crXjhLJ.png
Sponsored

Last edited:
OP
OP
Thraxbert

Thraxbert

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'20 Supra 3L, boosted 3.8L Gen Coupe, '93 Jimny
And as a sidenote:

Some people are also experiencing a sensation of the steering wheel being "loose" after a spring install. Not quite audible clunks or bangs, but a new sensation of knocking or "hollowness" felt in the steering wheel as if something were unbolted.

This is almost certainly an endlink problem, and it's likely that one of the joints is binding or running out of articulation. In my case, it was the swaybar end of my driver side end link. It would pop under full lockout at low speed and my steering wheel felt "empty" at times when taking a bump. Moving to an aftermarket swaybar and adjustable links solved this problem, and that's how it goes when you start tinkering with suspension geometry.

Some people also just throw the links on with the wheels straight and that will cause binding and bumps also. When you install your links, it's important to tighten the jamb nut completely on the strut end while leaving the swaybar end loose. Tighten down the endlink nuts/studs to torque, but don't tighten the lower jamb nut just yet.

Put the steering full left and start with the driver side: turn the entire endlink body full counterclockwise so the stud locks out at the top/strut. Then rotate the swaybar end of your link full clockwise, then back off 10° -- tighten the jamb nut on the swaybar end now. When you rotate the endlink back and forth at full left steering lock, you should have a bit of motion left in the top and bottom joints.

Now move to the passenger side and put the steering full right. This will be a mirror image of the driver side: rotate endlink body full clockwise to lockout, and swaybar stud full counterclockwise then back off 10°. Tighten jamb nut. Once again, you should have a little bit of rotational play in both joints on the passenger side.

Now that everything is tightened, put the steering full left and check for free movement of the joints on both links. Put steering full right and repeat movement test.

If the endlink joints have a little bit of rotation available when you're at full lock to lock, you're good to go. If you have a joint that has no rotation to give, loosen the lower jamb nut and start over for that endlink, backing off more on the swaybar end this time. Make sure the joint itself doesn't move when you tighten the jamb nut--you may need three hands for this, or a well-placed wedge.

MisterSkiz

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Toyota Supra, 2008 Lexus IS-F
Good write up!

Pretty funny how Tein actually comes with the isolators compared to other brands. In my experience Tein suspenion products are nothing but garbage.

HaiFrends

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 3.0 GR Supra Nocturnal Black
Good write up!

Pretty funny how Tein actually comes with the isolators compared to other brands. In my experience Tein suspenion products are nothing but garbage.
Whaaaat? They’ve been that bad for you in the past? How so?

chuckyl

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Miata Nd, Stinger Base and 2021 Supra
Traxbert, great write up. I have the Eibach Pro kit on mine an am experiencing noise front and rear. I'll check everything you mentioned and wonder where I can find the insulators. As a second thought , if you use the Eibach Pro Kit and install a Maxton ground effects kit be prepared for a real PITA if you need to lift the car. Groud clearence is only 2 3/4" and you can't get a jack under the jacking points. I'm making modified rams to drive up on to help with this issue.

obito

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Thanks for linking this thread. You’re one of the smartest people on here and I enjoy how you explain things technically. Appreciate it!
Sponsored