Lowering Springs Suspension Noise Identified ???

Do you have suspension noise after installing lowering springs? What method of installation?

• Total voters

BigTeamBattles

First Name
Harold
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra LE
Vehicle Showcase
Through my crazy witch hunt trying to figure out how to resolve the noises in my car, I’ve uncovered an absolutely astonishing amount of plastic on plastic rattle farms within the engine bay, interior C-pillar section, seats, dash, glove box, under panels of the dash in the footwell area, steering wheel column, gauge cluster, and sadly even more that I can not get to which are seemingly behind the dash near the fire wall.

Through the crazy amount of hours and time spent chasing noises on a 2 month old car, I’ve actually grown disgusted at the build quality and lack of thought that went into the assembly engineering. Disgusted.
I know what you mean, I feel like toyota almost rushed this thing. The powertrain is something that I can't complain, but toyota really put BMW parts in everything without the luxury from BMW. I also own a 2020 X3, and it's so quiet in the cabin that it's almost eerie.
Sponsored

BigTeamBattles

First Name
Harold
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra LE
Vehicle Showcase
Through my crazy witch hunt trying to figure out how to resolve the noises in my car, I’ve uncovered an absolutely astonishing amount of plastic on plastic rattle farms within the engine bay, interior C-pillar section, seats, dash, glove box, under panels of the dash in the footwell area, steering wheel column, gauge cluster, and sadly even more that I can not get to which are seemingly behind the dash near the fire wall.

Through the crazy amount of hours and time spent chasing noises on a 2 month old car, I’ve actually grown disgusted at the build quality and lack of thought that went into the assembly engineering. Disgusted.
the sound that I'm getting is almost like when there is a pebble/gravel in the wheel well but instead of the ticking metal, it sounds like just ticking plastic and it almost sounds static.

Brandonanix

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra LE
I know what you mean, I feel like toyota almost rushed this thing. The powertrain is something that I can't complain, but toyota really put BMW parts in everything without the luxury from BMW. I also own a 2020 X3, and it's so quiet in the cabin that it's almost eerie.
I agree, I absolutely LOVE the car, the looks, fun factor, power train, interior etc, but the things that can rob you of that joy ultimately come down to the small little issues that begin to stack up and turn into an army against you. What I have found is so horrific, I would assume a silent recall will come out, or completely revised assembly panels in later model years.

Brandonanix

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra LE
the sound that I'm getting is almost like when there is a pebble/gravel in the wheel well but instead of the ticking metal, it sounds like just ticking plastic and it almost sounds static.
Correct, that is one of my sounds I get. I was trying to explain it earlier by saying it sounded like a bowl full of loose legos in the engine bay on left and right sides near the strut hats

BigTeamBattles

First Name
Harold
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra LE
Vehicle Showcase
Correct, that is one of my sounds I get. I was trying to explain it earlier by saying it sounded like a bowl full of loose legos in the engine bay on left and right sides near the strut hats
The weird thing is that the sound/ticking noise only occurs when I'm making a fast right cornering or a tight right turn, left turns and corners is no issue. Do you think something might be wrong with the suspension or should I just ignore it?

Brandonanix

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra LE
After another full day of removing panels, using felt bumpers on everything, today’s test drive was still full of noise. Officially giving up the fight and going back to stock

Brandonanix

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra LE
I installed H&R springs and I hear the rear chatter. Just called up H&R's toll free number and informed them of the situation and my make and model. They are sending me sleeves for free. They told me that they provide sleeves for other springs on different cars, but not for the Supras. Maybe if enough of us call them complaining about the lack of sleeves, they'll begin to offer them by default. I'll let you guys know how it goes once I get and install the sleeves. Here's their toll free number if you want to contact them: 1-888-827-8881
So I just got off the phone with HR and they said my call was the first they have heard about this and that they don’t send out spring silencers, then asked for installation photos before moving forward

Brandonanix

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra LE
The weird thing is that the sound/ticking noise only occurs when I'm making a fast right cornering or a tight right turn, left turns and corners is no issue. Do you think something might be wrong with the suspension or should I just ignore it?
No clue, as my findings have uncovered dozens of areas that could vibrate. The heat shielding and aero panels under the car are another incredibly bad area for rattling/plastic-on-plastic areas.

My friend has a 2020 M340i BMW, stock suspension and his is doing this ticking thing that you mentioned, so it could be a BMW part issue. Luckily you are on stock suspension so you could have the dealer look into it

jvang85

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
MKV Supra, Acura Integra
Update:
Received the sleeves from H&R. They sent me four individual sleeves, enough for one coil loop per spring. I captured photos of the coils to show the coil spacing with the car lowered to the ground and with it raised up on the jack. There is literally no spacing between the top 3 coils. I can see why other people have continued to have issues with the noise even after installing the sleeves. I didn't bother installing the sleeves after capturing these photos. You literally need enough sleeves to wrap around 3-4 coils on each spring to get rid of the metal to metal contact. Not sure what to do now other than try to send my photos to H&R and see what kind of feedback they can give.

First photo is with the car dropped. Second is with the car raised. Third is the individual sleeve. To be continued...

IMG_20200823_131428.jpg

IMG_20200823_130955.jpg

IMG_20200823_131851.jpg

Brandonanix

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra LE
Update:
Received the sleeves from H&R. They sent me four individual sleeves, enough for one coil loop per spring. I captured photos of the coils to show the coil spacing with the car lowered to the ground and with it raised up on the jack. There is literally no spacing between the top 3 coils. I can see why other people have continued to have issues with the noise even after installing the sleeves. I didn't bother installing the sleeves after capturing these photos. You literally need enough sleeves to wrap around 3-4 coils on each spring to get rid of the metal to metal contact. Not sure what to do now other than try to send my photos to H&R and see what kind of feedback they can give.

First photo is with the car dropped. Second is with the car raised. Third is the individual sleeve. To be continued...

IMG_20200823_131428.jpg

IMG_20200823_130955.jpg

IMG_20200823_131851.jpg
Thanks for sharing. Please report back when HR responds. I am still irritated with HR as when I talked to them, they said no one has ever called in with a Supra issue (this is after you posted the number here) and they wanted a bunch of install photos before sending out silencers. I have a broken shoulder so I cant jack the car up and take pics. Still getting noise in the rear and both fronts, WITH Tien spring silencers on. I am wondering if the entire upper half of each spring needs to be fully covered in the silencer.

Also a new issue is a very faint “loose” feeling in the steering wheel when the front tires engage with a speed bump. Very faint, almost feels like the steering wheel bolt which holds it on, is loose-but it is not. Wondering if it may be a loose strut center bolt even though I have had my springs installed twice now and told them to check this.

I am waiting for replacement suspension bolts now, then going back to stock as I have exhausted an incredible amount of time, money, and rage trying to fix the problem, so I think its time to cut my losses

Jree

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Red 3.0P
Thanks for sharing. Please report back when HR responds. I am still irritated with HR as when I talked to them, they said no one has ever called in with a Supra issue (this is after you posted the number here) and they wanted a bunch of install photos before sending out silencers. I have a broken shoulder so I cant jack the car up and take pics. Still getting noise in the rear and both fronts, WITH Tien spring silencers on. I am wondering if the entire upper half of each spring needs to be fully covered in the silencer.

Also a new issue is a very faint “loose” feeling in the steering wheel when the front tires engage with a speed bump. Very faint, almost feels like the steering wheel bolt which holds it on, is loose-but it is not. Wondering if it may be a loose strut center bolt even though I have had my springs installed twice now and told them to check this.

I am waiting for replacement suspension bolts now, then going back to stock as I have exhausted an incredible amount of time, money, and rage trying to fix the problem, so I think its time to cut my losses
I have ticking noises too but my suspension is stock. Going on highways where the road is uneven, I hear ticking noises in the passenger side.

wfujay

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra Launch Edition #1455

You should send this thread to them and call them out on their BS.

Heavy Foot

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra. 2018 Mazda Miata RF. 2020 Range Rover.

I have the most creaking noises coming from the headliner, I just push up where the liner meets the rear window and can replicate the noise. I'm paranoid to take the headliner out though.

Jree

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Red 3.0P

Can you record the ticking noises that you’re hearing?

Thraxbert

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'20 Supra 3L, boosted 3.8L Gen Coupe, '93 Jimny
Just installed RS-R superdown springs and also getting rear-end clunk after 3 days of settling. Was short on time and had a trusted shop with BMW/Supra experience do the job so I'm not sure how the struts were lowered from the body. I'm going to double-check the work myself and have already purchased 12 isolators for the rear just in case.

Does anyone have a picture of these yellow marks that are supposed to line up?
Sponsored