Advertisement

Lowering Springs Suspension Noise Identified ???

Discussion in 'Suspension | Chassis | Brakes' started by MAXecutive, May 22, 2020.

?

Do you have suspension noise after installing lowering springs? What method of installation?

1. Yes - Installed with shortcut method

27.8%
  2. Yes - Installed with top hats removed from the car

16.7%
  3. Yes - Not sure how it was installed

33.3%
  4. No - Installed with shortcut method

11.1%
  5. No - Installed with top hats removed from the car

5.6%
  6. No - Not sure how it was installed

5.6%
  1. OP
    OP
    MAXecutive

MAXecutive Active Member

First Name:
    Patrick
    Car(s):
    '20 A90 Supra, '15 F36 435i GC, '97 A32 Maxima, '86 Z31 300ZX
    Liked:
    I still had the dust boot glued to bottom part of the bearing. For some reason I made the yellow marks shift a little because the new springs ended in a different location. I don't think the bearing has and actual spot to snap into or else they would not have marked it that way from the factory.

2. Supra CRNA

Supra CRNA Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Ron
    Car(s):
    2020 Toyota Supra GR Premium Yellow
    Liked:
    you can separate the bearing from the dust boot. the bearing should seat flush with the strut mount. You can still wiggle/rotate the bearing to make it line up perfectly. I used a jack to slowly raise the strut from below while keeping everything lined up. hope this helps!

3. OP
    OP
    MAXecutive

MAXecutive Active Member

First Name:
    Patrick
    Car(s):
    Liked:
    That seems to be the better method. I was trying to move everything up together and get the bearing to snap in place. We kept an Allen key on the strut to help align everything as the jack went up.

I'll mess with the sway bar link again and see what happens. If I still have issues I will take it all apart again when I install the new front sway bar.

4. jgoad13

jgoad13 Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Justin
    Car(s):
    2020 Supra Launch Edition #422
    Liked:
    I lowered my struts down yesterday and turned the top bearing so the yellow lines up and just like that the noises are gone! Thanks everyone.

Supra CRNA likes this.
  5. Supra CRNA

Supra CRNA Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Ron
    Car(s):
    2020 Toyota Supra GR Premium Yellow
    Liked:
    glad it worked out for you. it really is all the small details in not just this car, but in many things. I follow all factory torque specs for every bolt I touch or manipulate. my father was a master mechanic for lexus for 30 plus years, he always talks to me about keeping everything factory specs!

6. NewBee

NewBee New Member

First Name:
    Howard
    Car(s):
    Supra
    Liked:
    Hello to all, I’m new here. I’ve run into the rattle issue and I’m trying to remedy it. I’m going to reinstall the springs and just wanted to verify the alignment of the factory markings on the shock cap bearings & spring. With the new springs do you just line up the cap and the upper & lower marks on the bearings and have the spring fully seated against the rubber boot ends at bottom and top? I noticed the stock spring alignment marks were 180 out from the cut end of the spring does it matter the new positioning of the spring when it’s fully seated? Please advise. Thank you.

7. Waferz

Waferz Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Michael
    Car(s):
    2020 supra launch edition, 1993 rx7
    Liked:
    Does this stuff only apply tho those who’s bearing came out? I could be wrong but I don’t think my bearing came out.

I have a very feint tick at low speeds but no binding. So I’ve kind of just been ignoring it

8. OP
    OP
    MAXecutive

MAXecutive Active Member

First Name:
    Patrick
    Car(s):
    Liked:
    The factory markings should line up on the top half of the bearing to the aluminum piece. When I take mine apart again, I will do that even though I don't think it matters much. The bottom is free to spin all around so it shouldn't matter where it lines up with the top mark with your new springs. The rubber isolator on the top of the spring may be in a different position which is fine, just make sure it's seated properly at the end.

I believe the factory made the marks to determine if the bearing itself slips over time by providing a reference when the wheels are straight. Remember that the car was assembled first and the marks were applied after everything was bolted up.

9. OP
    OP
    MAXecutive

MAXecutive Active Member

First Name:
    Patrick
    Car(s):
    Liked:
    the faint tick seems more like the sway bar end links not fully tightened or coming loose to me. I have no noises when turning the wheels when stopped.

10. SKW-TX

SKW-TX Member

First Name:
    Scott
    Car(s):
    2020 Supra Nitro Yellow
    Liked:
    #25 Jun 19, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 19, 2020
    So I think we need to be very clear in what noise you are experiencing, there could be a few different ones (caused by different things). Bearing noise, when turning, like a binding/clicking, would point to what some covered with the bearing alignment/sitting flush situation. The other, more of a rattle/chatter while driving the car and when the strut oscillates quickly. I had the struts completely removed and even had new assembles w/ bearings installed when I had the Eibach pro set installed and car aligned. I experienced the exact same rattle/chatter in the OP video @ the 2Min. mark. This is caused by the spring itself. If you look at the spring when the car is on the ground, you will see that the upper part of the spring coils touch/sit on each other (see Pic). This is normal for most progressive rate springs. If you contact Eibach they will send you spring sleeves, which are just a split tube with adhesive. Just clean the spring and install, very easy. Since I installed, no more rattle/chatter and all is well!

4259D2D1-2443-4FF2-BDBE-A5CB87DFEED2.jpeg

Waferz likes this.
  11. Waferz

Waferz Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Michael
    Car(s):
    2020 supra launch edition, 1993 rx7
    Liked:
    You da MAN!!!! Where can we contact them?

12. SKW-TX

SKW-TX Member

First Name:
    Scott
    Car(s):
    2020 Supra Nitro Yellow
    Liked:
    Easiest and quickest is to call 800-507-2338 and ask for tech support. Explain the situation and they should offer to send the sleeves at no cost, just have to provide purchase receipt document.

60EA292B-B1BF-4D9E-BA34-1147BF45797D.jpeg

13. Brandonanix

Brandonanix Active Member

First Name:
    Brandon
    Car(s):
    2020 Supra LE
    Liked:
    This has me extremely paranoid now about lowering the car after reading through everyone’s experiences. Does anyone know of any shops in so-cal who are aware of all of these quirks and details and can do this right on the first try?

14. OP
    OP
    MAXecutive

MAXecutive Active Member

First Name:
    Patrick
    Car(s):
    Liked:
    Wow, this is amazing!!!! I hope this is really the solution. I will call Eibach and speak to them and share this tread with them. Hopefully they can make things right and sell the kits with these sleeves already included.

15. Jason In2details

First Name:
    jason
    Car(s):
    2020 Supra GR Yellow
    Liked:
    I need some sleeves for my H&R Springs in the back. I put some thin carpet between the touching springs when jacked up and then drove and zero chatter until carpet fell out. Can anyone think of a DIY solution that would hold up?