Lowering Springs Suspension Noise Identified ???

Do you have suspension noise after installing lowering springs? What method of installation?

• Total voters

Mk5phtm

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Toyota GR Supra Phantom
Just installed RS-R superdown springs and also getting rear-end clunk after 3 days of settling. Was short on time and had a trusted shop with BMW/Supra experience do the job so I'm not sure how the struts were lowered from the body. I'm going to double-check the work myself and have already purchased 12 isolators for the rear just in case.

Does anyone have a picture of these yellow marks that are supposed to line up?
I installed swift springs and Iā€™m also getting very subtle ticking sounds but only sometimes, about 1/7 times and only when I turn the wheel completely to the right. I replaced my entire strut mount since it cracked initially upon replacing my springs and I also replaced the dust boot since mine was warped and wasnā€™t sitting properly. The sound was gone but then returned today in very small amounts. I donā€™t recall seeing any yellow marks. Any pictures of this would be greatly appreciated
Sponsored

OverRev

First Name
Perry
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 SUPRA
Also got some clunking noise from the back after installing H&R springs, it only clunks when I drive thru small bumps/pot holes. Nothing when going thru corners or big bumps. It doesnā€™t sound like itā€™s coming from the suspension, but coming from the trunk.. gonna spend some time checking it in the weekend

Todday1

First Name
Tod
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 A91 Supra
One thing to look at is the spring clearance inside the front strut towers. Stock control arms do not have much adjustment. So if the camber changed a bit by lowering the springs, they may sometimes rub on the ribs inside the shock tower especially when turned close to full lock. Also check Eibach sway bar clearance on control arm. Mine slightly rubbed. I sanded down the end a bit and it cleared.

edmundo528

First Name
Eddie
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Two time owner of 1994 and 1995. now 2020 Launch
I hate to bring this thread back from the day. But this might help someone. Okay guys I'm new to the 2020 Toyota supra. (I had two MKIV and one MKII.
I bought a 2020 launch edition with 16k miles. I heard a clunking noise when pulling into my garage the first time. It kinda sounded like when you drive into a garage that has the screens with the scree tracks on the ground or like a Brake pad floating. I didn't think anything of it. But it got worse. So I made an appointment with the local Toyota dealer. So I sat in the dealership for 3 hours only for the service rep to tell me they think it's the front left strut.. They let me leave without a true diagnosis.
(The do not mention if it's safe or not to drive or not). So an old buddy out of the blue calls me and I tell him my situation. He says "I think I know what it is". So I head over to his house and he opens the hood and jacks the driver side up. While he's under the car with a bright light, I notice a bolt backed out on the driver's side and the same bolt on the left is in further. So my clunk was loose bolt in what Toyota calls a bracket part# Toyota 511-WAA01. This bolt was on the verge of coming out completely which would have been bad if I were ion the highway..1st pic is the part. 2nd is the bolt that was loose. You can still see it has to be tightened more. (Not much room to get more that a 1/8 of a turn so I took a break LOL)

IMG_6948.jpg

IMG_0592.jpg

paulnur

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 3.0 Premium
I hate to bring this thread back from the day. But this might help someone. Okay guys I'm new to the 2020 Toyota supra. (I had two MKIV and one MKII.
I bought a 2020 launch edition with 16k miles. I heard a clunking noise when pulling into my garage the first time. It kinda sounded like when you drive into a garage that has the screens with the scree tracks on the ground or like a Brake pad floating. I didn't think anything of it. But it got worse. So I made an appointment with the local Toyota dealer. So I sat in the dealership for 3 hours only for the service rep to tell me they think it's the front left strut.. They let me leave without a true diagnosis.
(The do not mention if it's safe or not to drive or not). So an old buddy out of the blue calls me and I tell him my situation. He says "I think I know what it is". So I head over to his house and he opens the hood and jacks the driver side up. While he's under the car with a bright light, I notice a bolt backed out on the driver's side and the same bolt on the left is in further. So my clunk was loose bolt in what Toyota calls a bracket part# Toyota 511-WAA01. This bolt was on the verge of coming out completely which would have been bad if I were ion the highway..1st pic is the part. 2nd is the bolt that was loose. You can still see it has to be tightened more. (Not much room to get more that a 1/8 of a turn so I took a break LOL)
\
You had gotten your car at 16k miles. Do you believe this to be an issue from the factory? Or were there signs of modifications?

edmundo528

First Name
Eddie
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Two time owner of 1994 and 1995. now 2020 Launch
You had gotten your car at 16k miles. Do you believe this to be an issue from the factory? Or were there signs of modifications?
I don't really know. But I'm glad it's no longer clunking.

SCZ4

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'20 Supra 3.0 Pro
Sorry to drag up an old thread, but I fitted my Eibach's (20mm reduction) at the weekend and getting a clunk from the front end when hitting speed bumps or potholes. Will check everything again at the weekend, but I notice on page 2 & 3 quite a few people getting coil sleeves directly from Eibach US. I contacted Eibach UK and they aren't aware of a problem or supply sleeves for this kit. My questions are:

1) Did everyone needs the sleeves?
2) Anyone know the part number they were sent?

SCZ4

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'20 Supra 3.0 Pro
Make sure they are seated correctly too.
Will do, just need to work out where. When the car is on the ground and I shine a torch in, I can't see any coils even close to touching, unlike someone posted on page 3.

jtsang25

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2009 BMW 135i, 2020 Toyota GR Supra
Will do, just need to work out where. When the car is on the ground and I shine a torch in, I can't see any coils even close to touching, unlike someone posted on page 3.
Of course they aren't going to touch when they aren't being compressed. Ie hitting a bump.

And when I said seated I mean. Are they installed correctly.

Thraxbert

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'20 Supra 3L, boosted 3.8L Gen Coupe, '93 Jimny

SCZ4

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'20 Supra 3.0 Pro
Of course they aren't going to touch when they aren't being compressed. Ie hitting a bump.

And when I said seated I mean. Are they installed correctly.
Fair point, wasn't thinking. I'll take the wheel off and jack the hub up and see where they may touching. The look seated fine, both end of the spring touch the "end stop" they should be. Will take another look at the weekend.

2021Supra

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra, 2021 Lexus RC300, 2007 Tundra, 1975 Ch
If you end up removing the entire assembly and the bearing plates separate, exposing the actual bearings, I would clean them off and remove the factory grease completely. I used brake cleaner. Then use some good synthetic grease and pack them in there several times as you spin both pieces back together. This is what happened to me, and I had a noise like creaking while tuning left. Just a thought. Hopefully it isn't the issue, only the springs touching together, and the rubber insulator will correct your issue.

BrodoFratgins

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 MKV Supra MT
Anyone have a diagram of how the front spring wraps should be installed, similar to @Thraxbert 's post?

I've got the same clicking in the front exhibited in OP's video. Nothing on turns, just sharp bumps.

Added some Tein silencers, but wondering if I still have a portion higher up that's making contact? The Swifts came with a single wrap lower down but there were still contact points.
image_2024-02-27_180656658.png
Sponsored