Solved: Literal Bump Steer

Kujiwara

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
23 Supra AT Stratosphere, GLI32, SVT Cobra
EDIT:
Thanks to everyone's suggestions and 2 alignments later the problem has been largely solved, the little bit of twitchiness remaining is most likely due to soft rear subframe bushings and short wheelbase and wide track + tires.
1. Essentially the car alignment was off from the factory, right rear being the worst (and still appears to be the common theme since 2020)
2. Dealer aligned it but wasn't accurate, however they did find the right rear toe adjuster loose.
3. (Thread #22 pg.2) Realigning at performance shop with the following specs and has worked well for me.

Front:
Camber: not adjustable
Caster: Not adjustable
Toe-in: 0.05 deg per side, (I think 0 to 0.10 is all fine, more in= more stablity but less turn-in, see what fits your needs and driving style, just make sure it's even)

Rear:
Camber: -2.0 (make sure it's even)
Toe-in: 0.18 deg per side, (again make sure it's even, 0.1x - 0.20 all seems fine depending on who is driving, all within factory specs still)

More alignment explanations in Page 2

Original Post:

Hi everyone,

I purchased a new 2023 Supra 3.0 AT just shy of two weeks ago, current experiencing some pretty new-to-me experience when it comes to bump steer. Before someone asks me to search "bump steer" I have already went thru all 6 pages of results and haven't found the exact same kind of descriptions as what I'm about to ask.

When I first bought it I noticed the wheel was off center and car was nervous over bumps when the right rear wheel hits certain bumps or holes on the ground. Took it in to the dealer at 500km for alignment they found the right rear toe adjuster was loose, retorqued, aligned pretty well, and drives straight. The next couple days I didnt drive into Vancouver which has a bunch of slightly below surface manhole covers (especially within the right side of most lanes), call it small annoying bumps.

fe495921-5708-4fa3-9a38-f4eb9ad1640a.jpg

A few days ago when car has around 650km I drove it in the Vancouver, these bumps and manhole covers seem to really upset the rear end (wobbling) when the right rear rides over them. I dropped the rear tire pressure from 39psi to 35psi and seemed to help a bit over a 100km drive in the city today, before doing this I checked all the bolts in the rear are still darn tight. I also ended up finding seems when left rear hits these specific kind of bumps it upsets the rear a bit too, but just most of these bumps end up being hit by the right side so I didn't notice it till later (need to let a friend drive tonight to see if it's just me)...

It may still just be in my head but I still think the right wobbles more. I have another appointment scheduled in 2 weeks at the dealer, other nearby ones can't seem to service Supras any earlier... Is this just the norm for driving a Supra in a large city with slightly crappy roads? I notice it more in Normal than Sport perhaps the suspension compresses more due to less compression damping (PHd's bump steer video shows not much toe change till ends of travel) and this is reaching that in Normal mode? 2023 does seem to ride softer than the 2022 I rented, perhaps this is amplifying the problem since it's reaching closer to the end of the suspension travel? Handling all seems fine when the roads are smooth even when it gets real twisty, this doesn't happen when I hit bigger bumps or small road cracks with one wheel, or any magnitude of bumps with both rear wheels... And no it's not tramlining I am asking about.

0.10 toe-in in each rear corner seems to be a bit low perhaps? Have owners with similar issues been able to reduce the effect of these bumps by having more toe-in let's say 0.17 or so?

I've asked a 2020 owner and he didn't notice, a 2023 MT owner that haven't noticed either, technician at the dealer (close friend knows him and he PDIs all the Supras) says Supra's have very bad bump steer cuz of wide 255/275 tires... I didn't expect it to be so affected by bumps either since I lurked here for nearly 2 years before buying my own and didn't see that many issues like this. Perhaps I'm too used to longer wheelbase sedans but my wife who doesn't know much about cars noticed the car relatively unstable over bumps too
Sponsored

Last edited:

jtsang25

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2009 BMW 135i, 2020 Toyota GR Supra
Ya 2020s should be the worse and 2024 is said to be the most up to date suspension tuning.

FLtrackdays

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 Supra 3.0, ND MX5 Club, VW GTI MK7.5
When I first bought it I noticed the wheel was off center and car was nervous over bumps when the right rear wheel hits certain bumps or holes on the ground. Took it in to the dealer at 500km for alignment they found the right rear toe adjuster was loose, retorqued, aligned pretty well, and drives straight.

Perhaps I'm too used to longer wheelbase sedans but my wife who doesn't know much about cars noticed the car relatively unstable over bumps too
The steering wheel needs to be center aligned for sure and definitely not made for going over bumps at high speed. If you feel pretty confident your Toyota shop buddy knows a lot about Supras & BMWs, hakuna matata. However, if you’re still having issues, you might want to try a decent BMW shop or really experienced alignment shop. They can make sure the shipping spacers were taken out & your alignment is true.

Again, I would definitely go slow over any massive potholes or bumps.

Todday1

First Name
Tod
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 A91 Supra
Can you describe what it is doing. Pulling to left or right when you hit the bumps. Do you have to counter steer to keep it straight or More of a body roll feeling. If you let go of the wheel does it pull left or right on a straight road? Not sure what wobbly means. There are not a lot of adjustments on the stock suspension parts. But I am surprised they set rear with more camber than front. Normally you have a little more in the front vs rear. Thrust angle I am picky and this should be 0. However if it is not pulling then may not be enough to make difference. Have you looked at the rear struts and no signs of any leaks? Was this a new car or did have any damage or repairs as the suspension parts from factory also do not just normally come loose

Timmy_Jones

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
23’ 3.0 Base
Did the dealer remove the spacers around the strut? Mine were left installed and I had to remove them myself. Let me try and dig up the thread

OP
OP
Kujiwara

Kujiwara

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Can you describe what it is doing. Pulling to left or right when you hit the bumps. Do you have to counter steer to keep it straight or More of a body roll feeling. If you let go of the wheel does it pull left or right on a straight road? Not sure what wobbly means. There are not a lot of adjustments on the stock suspension parts. But I am surprised they set rear with more camber than front. Normally you have a little more in the front vs rear. Thrust angle I am picky and this should be 0. However if it is not pulling then may not be enough to make difference. Have you looked at the rear struts and no signs of any leaks? Was this a new car or did have any damage or repairs as the suspension parts from factory also do not just normally come loose
It drives straight doesn't pull. I asked a friend of mine who is a very good driver and driven lots of cars to take it for a 2 hour drive in the city, he seems to think it's the tires motions. It's a very fast left and right sway in the rear end that doesnt require steering correction, he called it a rubbery feeling. only on shallow manhole covers. He suggested I reset tire pressure at cold temps this morning, as I actually havent had the chance to adjust when it's fully cold, but rather during a drive. The one things that is making it less of a concern to me now is that opnion about this seems mixed, and car behaves very well in general over big bumps and around corners, we went through a bumpy twisty 10km drive yesterday and both thought there was nothing worth noting.

He did notice the left right sway immediately when we were driving out of the city over those specific shallow manhole covers, which unfortunately I will see on most drives, perhaps that is what it is. He mentioned it could be just some degree of tire flex that we are feeling, and some over at the local A90 group mentioned it behaved better after going away from PSS. But basically he didnt think it's too out of the ordinary and it's not worse than S2000 (he autocrossed a CR model for long time) and mx5 (owned and autoxd long time as well)

I tested the shocks by going over normal speed bumps one side at a time at a consistent 15km/h in normal and sport, and the body motions are consistent so shocks should be fine, no leaks around the rear shocks when I checked under the car. I even asked to be a passenger and repeated the test to make sure I was on the side going over the speed bumps. I will however check for shipping spacers today as you guys and other posts recommended, I didnt think much because the ride height was normal, but I suppose they are not spring spacers but rather on the shock shaft so may not have a increase in height. As of right now no noticable things from the front end.

This is brand new and I specifically asked the dealer are there any damages to disclose since there was a discount on the price, but it was due to being a showroom model sitting in the show room between July 2023 and Jan 2024, and I suspected also it was hard to sell because sports car sales in Canada have slowed significantly in the recession and also winter, and another big one was the front plate bracket has been installed already, most used ones I see for sale and ones on the road don't have front plates.

With mixed response from local groups (literally "that's normal" and "that's not normal" replies) and Supra autox guys and advice from here. What I have arrange today to hopefully put it to bed as it may just be me unfortunately surrounded by these manhole covers and being too sensitive and expecting too much:

Test drive another 2023 3.0 and a 2020 3.0 over some city roads
Check for shipping spacer and adjust tire pressures cold to 39psi all around
Ask local autocross legend to take it for a long drive (built multiple formula AMOD cars including "Vancouver Special" multiple time scca nationals champion) owned many short wheelbase sportscars
If somehow I find the J/G29 behaves different I will take it to a local BMW shop to take a look as FLtrackdays suggested.

OP
OP
Kujiwara

Kujiwara

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Wait, you set the tire pressure to 39psi cold?

If so, that is your problem right there. WAYYYYY too high of pressure.
Wait as seeeccccc. The tire settings menu is showing 39psi recommended. Is it different on yours?
Update: just ran out to the garage and checked iDrive is now telling me recommended is 41psi WTF. It was 39psi recommended last night!

SCZ4

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'20 Supra 3.0 Pro

CafeRacerQueen

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Daniela
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
‘20 M4 CS, ‘24 GR Supra 45th LE
Yeah, drop the pressure to mid 30’s. It should help. Was too stiff

razorlab

First Name
Bryan / Briana
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Not a Corvette.
Wait as seeeccccc. The tire settings menu is showing 39psi recommended. Is it different on yours?
Update: just ran out to the garage and checked iDrive is now telling me recommended is 41psi WTF. It was 39psi recommended last night!
Set it to 32psi cold and I bet it all goes away.

OP
OP
Kujiwara

Kujiwara

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Just checked on the door it said 38psi, I will drop to 32psi as shown on the UK cars (thanks for sharing), and then going to go test drive the other 2023 Supra and a Z4, will report back soon!
Sponsored