Sold: I'm literally willing to pay for a test drive

noogie

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
23 Supra
If you have the intention of buying and place a deposit, dealers will typically let you test the car when it arrives. You can refuse delivery if it doesn’t meet your expectation.
Sponsored

OP
OP
deicide

deicide

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'21 audi sq5, '21 tesla model 3, '24 tesla model y
If you ever travel to Austin you can drive mine anytime. I let another forum member drive it and offered to use my lift if he wants to do any installs
i appreciate that!

maybe a mod can move this thread into the New Jersey section of the forum. surely someone on there wouldn't mind. i drove the automatic one at dealers before i decided to order a MT. i just assumed it would get better and i was right lol
i didnt know there was an nj section. thats my fault

If you have the intention of buying and place a deposit, dealers will typically let you test the car when it arrives. You can refuse delivery if it doesn’t meet your expectation.
i placed a deposit but would like to drive the car before a large sum of money is tied up while i wait an undetermined amount of time. if i drive the car and love it, great, toyota can hold it until they find me a car. if not, id like to put that money back to collecting interest. ya know?

noogie

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
23 Supra
i appreciate that!

i didnt know there was an nj section. thats my fault

i placed a deposit but would like to drive the car before a large sum of money is tied up while i wait an undetermined amount of time. if i drive the car and love it, great, toyota can hold it until they find me a car. if not, id like to put that money back to collecting interest. ya know?
what was the deposit they asked? $500 deposit is usually the standard deposit rate.

look at Toyota’s official online inventory tool. It’s pretty accurate in providing up to date inventory status. Dealers can’t build or order Toyotas, which is why they just gave you a really long wait time.

did you check for used inventory? A used automatic isn’t too hard to find and test drive.

OP
OP
deicide

deicide

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'21 audi sq5, '21 tesla model 3, '24 tesla model y
what was the deposit they asked? $500 deposit is usually the standard deposit rate.
i put down more than $500 but that was my choice.

look at Toyota’s official online inventory tool. It’s pretty accurate in providing up to date inventory status. Dealers can’t build or order Toyotas, which is why they just gave you a really long wait time.
Honestly thats what ive been doing. I have called every dealer within ~200 miles that has a car or has one in transit and every.single.one. is either reserved already paid for.

did you check for used inventory? A used automatic isn’t too hard to find and test drive.
would really prefer to drive the MT.

Bald Guy

First Name
Sonny
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
C8, Zs, Type Rs, Rubicon 392s, and more.
I know you prefer a manual, but I would at least try to drive a pre owned automatic to get a good feel of the rest of the car.

Timmy_Jones

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
23’ 3.0 Base
NH, you can drive mine but its an AT and modded.....so :)

OldHead-MKV-Owner

First Name
Eddie
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
22' Supra, 95' 300ZX SMZ, 22' F150 Limited
Go to a bmw dealership and drive any manual b58
And you won't get close to the same experience. Meaning, the manual trans are completely different. Toyota's feels worlds better than any 340/440 man I've driven.

type-964

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A91 Supra
I bought mine without a test drive. I was waiting to get my hands on one right off the truck in Dec 2020. When the dealer called I had the option to take it for a spin before I signed the papers but - nah - I knew I wanted it right away. 0 regrets.

Schang105

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 GR Supra, 2020 Porsche Macan
Hey OP, would suggest creating a search request in CarMax and sign up for email alerts. Test drives are free, although will cost some bucks if u want to ship it in from out of state. I know ur set on an manual, but doing a test drive of the auto will (1) give u a feel for the packaging and visibility, and (2) give u a feel for NVH, and dynamics on the street. Manual has improved suspension and few other changes, but fundamentally it's same packaging. Good luck!

swrdply400mrelay

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Veloster N, 2024 Stratosphere MT
yeah i understand that. but it was a definite no if i didnt try.

also, not considering anything else. dont need another car but am finally in a position in which i can comfortably afford to get the car i wanted since i was a teenager.
Oh ok, I was in a similar position. The Mk4 came out when I was in HS. When the Mk5 was announced, I wrote an email to Toyota saying if they made a manual I would buy it. Got to a point in my life where I could afford it so went ahead with it. Didn’t test drive it. But I’m so glad I got it.

I’m convinced it’s the end of the ICE/manual transmission sports cars, so this is it for me.

Avarela99

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
22 Supra 3.0
carmax will give you a no hassle test drive just transfer one to your nearest carmax and drive it

EvilMKV

First Name
Taylor
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Tundra TRD Pro, 2023 Supra 3.0 Premium
I found a used one at a local dealer and used that as a test drive option. I'm sure you've checked for the same on autotrader or autotempest.

ColonelAdama

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Absolute Zero Supra 3.0 Premium MT, 2015 GTI
I bought mine without having driven an AT or MT Supra either. Not gonna lie, I was pretty turned off by the clutch on the first drive, but stuck with it and got used to it!

think of it this way... if you buy and decide its not for you, you can likely get what you paid for it back.