Test Drive

Grady60

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2013 Toyota Prius Persona Series
I am planning on test-driving a 2.0 in the next few days. I would prefer not to have a salesman come with me, but I don’t know if that will be possible. They tend to talk too much, and I don’t want to be distracted, and I don’t want him/her to try and sell me the car while I’m driving it. Are there specific things that I should be aware of or look for when driving this car? I know I need to drive on surface streets and freeways.
Sponsored

SupraBC

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'21 Supra 2.0
It's been years since I test drove any vehicle so I'm not sure what are the do's and don'ts of a test drive, but if at all possible try to find some twisty roads or at least some nice curves, that's where the 2.0 will put the biggest smile on your face.
Nothing really to be "aware of". Compared to a Prius, expect tons more torque and grip.

zrk

First Name
Zack
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra - Nocturnal Black
I am planning on test-driving a 2.0 in the next few days. I would prefer not to have a salesman come with me,
I went for my first test drive with the salesman, then came back an hour or two later with my wife. He had me take her for a spin. He had no issues with that. You should be able to get some time alone with the car.

Give it the beans, turns and twisties are fun, but do a little in-traffic/in-town driving for sure. I haven't driven the 2.0, but I imagine there's similar throttle response quirks there as well.

ricks6231

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 2.0
I am planning on test-driving a 2.0 in the next few days. I would prefer not to have a salesman come with me, but I don’t know if that will be possible. They tend to talk too much, and I don’t want to be distracted, and I don’t want him/her to try and sell me the car while I’m driving it. Are there specific things that I should be aware of or look for when driving this car? I know I need to drive on surface streets and freeways.
I have 2.0, my recommendation is don’t put the windows down driving fast. You will get wind buffeting bad. The bright side is a simple 8 buck mod fixes it ?. I handles good and has decent power. Don’t pay over msrp

puzzled

First Name
Calvin
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra Premium; VA STI; MK7 GOLF-R; etc..
Okay I am confused. I thought a day or so ago I read a post stating the OP was giving up the Supra cause reality bites or something.

Was that just a prank?

Damn, I was fooled once again..(?)

zrk

First Name
Zack
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra - Nocturnal Black
Okay I am confused. I thought a day or so ago I read a post stating the OP was giving up the Supra cause reality bites or something.

Was that just a prank?

Maybe he was encouraged to re-try. I know folks were giving OP some giving him names of dealers that weren't fucking people.

legacy_etu

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
20 Supra, 16 Wrangler UNLTD
Yup, take your son or daughter with you. Worked for me. He asked when he saw my son, '"so I suppose you want to take your son?" . I said , "yup". He threw me the keys and said, "have fun". Of course, I'm old and have kids, you may not.

ikeaboy

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0, 2019 Alfa Romeo Stelvio
Regarding test driving alone; it all depends on the dealership's policy. Some have antiquated sales techniques with core focus on the test drive experience. They want to be there to help you fall in love with the car. You usually find this in the smaller independent dealers with less foot traffic. This works wonders with an impulsive buyer who doesn't know much about the car to begin with.

The larger, busier, franchised dealerships are more open to unsupervised test drives. Mainly because some reps have multiple deals going on at the same time and they're losing out on a sale if they leave with you. While you're out, they could be working on car prep, dialing for dollars, etc.

Other factors are at play as well. Physical appearance, age, type of car you show up with, etc. Chances are if you're a teenager showing up in a Daewoo with a Check Engine Light t-shirt on and a Summit Racing calf tattoo, you will have a companion on your test drive.

OP
OP
Grady60

Grady60

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)

Was that just a prank?

Nope. Not a prank at all. I really want to see how it drives after reading all these posts. I was gonna rent one on Turo, but they’ve been taken off.

OP
OP
Grady60

Grady60

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Yup, take your son or daughter with you. Worked for me. He asked when he saw my son, '"so I suppose you want to take your son?" . I said , "yup". He threw me the keys and said, "have fun". Of course, I'm old and have kids, you may not.
Don’t have kids or wife

puzzled

First Name
Calvin
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra Premium; VA STI; MK7 GOLF-R; etc..
Don’t have kids or wife
I highly recommend you keep it that way. I speak from experience. Wife plays tricks on you pretty while young, but later turns into a round thing..with attitude.

OP
OP
Grady60

Grady60

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Regarding test driving alone; it all depends on the dealership's policy. Some have antiquated sales techniques with core focus on the test drive experience. They want to be there to help you fall in love with the car. You usually find this in the smaller independent dealers with less foot traffic. This works wonders with an impulsive buyer who doesn't know much about the car to begin with.

The larger, busier, franchised dealerships are more open to unsupervised test drives. Mainly because some reps have multiple deals going on at the same time and they're losing out on a sale if they leave with you. While you're out, they could be working on car prep, dialing for dollars, etc.

Other factors are at play as well. Physical appearance, age, type of car you show up with, etc. Chances are if you're a teenager showing up in a Daewoo with a Check Engine Light t-shirt on and a Summit Racing calf tattoo, you will have a companion on your test drive.
? I’m 61, 2013 Prius in great condition. No tats.
Sponsored