Test Drive Hopefully Tomorrow

spta97

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra, 2020 BMW X3MC
Hi All,

First(ish) post here. GF is looking at the Supra and going to hopefully test drive tomorrow.

Anything to look out for as far as a compatibility match?

She sat in it yesterday (dealership was closing) and said visibility is good and has no problems with ingress/egress (5'0"). I almost clocked my head (6'0") but I won't be driving (much :)).

The first and only time I saw the MKV on the road I didn't care for it. Seeing it in the dealership (and reading tons of reviews online) really changed my mind and I love the looks now. I own a BMW so fine with the BMW build.

I'm pushing her toward the Premium 3.0 (because...why not lol).

Any other thoughts are appreciated (i.e., must have options, etc.).

Thanks!

PS: this site is awesome and helpful!
Sponsored

OP
OP
spta97

spta97

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Ok couldn't wait for tomorrow so took a test drive tonight. My GF loved the car.

However, the salesman (we're in NY) said:

1) Price is $10k - $15k over sticker!:oops:
2) A Toyota plant shut down and they cannot order cars and hardly get any Supras.
3) He also said they fly off the lot but the two they had were nearly there a year?
4) Said all dealerships (regardless of make) are the same due to low supply as a result of COVID.

Can anyone offer any input? I don't think these are selling as hot as he made out but who knows.

H2O_Doc

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
M240i, Wrangler, MB GLA 250
Ok couldn't wait for tomorrow so took a test drive tonight. My GF loved the car.

2) A Toyota plant shut down and they cannot order cars and hardly get any Supras.
3) He also said they fly off the lot but the two they had were nearly there a year?
4) Said all dealerships (regardless of make) are the same due to low supply as a result of COVID.

Can anyone offer any input? I don't think these are selling as hot as he made out but who knows.
I got mine for $48k or $49K (I forget) plus tax and title on a vehicle that stickered at $56.7K. If you are willing to do a day trip, you can certainly get well under sticker.

Dannyvandelft

First Name
Danny
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Ordered A91 edition Supra

Sales people are pathological liars. You can get them under sticker no problem. Go to a different dealership. At this point, I'd wait to see what the 2022 models will get and wait to order one of those. If the 2022 doesn't bring anything exciting, you can still go look for a 20 or 21 that's below MSRP.

MYA90SUPRA

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra premium
From what people post on this forum I would go somewhere else. Many have gotten 2020 and 2021 well under msrp.

piper1

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'03 e85 Z4

I know the "other" supra forum but here's a post I had put there about dealing with a dealer and pricing:

https://www.supraforums.com/threads/pricing-for-2021-us-zupra.1120327/page-2#post-13929547
The other dealer in the area here is selling them 5kish under msrp, watched them sell 5 that was in the last few months so I'd go somewhere else if I were you. The first dealer I went to hasn't gotten another one in since the first 2020 they had. Metro Detroit here.

Benjilis

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra MKV, VW CC R-Line
I got mine for 47k a 2020 3.0 premium in St. Louis, MO that had under 5k miles.
There are a lot here that dealerships are literally sending them to other dealers in hopes that the car can sell over there.
It’s covid... nobody is buying a car now. It’s after the nee year. People that were buying cars have already bought them.

fyi. Shipping a car coast to coast is $500 aprx...

satx_phantom

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2016 Ford Fiesta; BMW M3 CS (G80) Waitlist

All those things sound like a car dealer cliche. Toyota doesn't even build them in one of their factories, they're built in a contract factory run by a company called Magna Steyr...I haven't heard that they shut down. Car companies are suffering a semiconductor shortage which is causing disruption in general. I don't believe the Supra is a high-volume seller, but all the dealers here in San Antonio have at least a couple. When I was shopping a few weeks ago only one tried to go over sticker, the rest were at or below. If you can widen your search a bit to a few more dealers I think you should get something a bit more reasonable.

satx_phantom

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2016 Ford Fiesta; BMW M3 CS (G80) Waitlist
... And honestly if they really thought it would command that much over sticker they would never have let you test drive it before agreeing to terms. You got the hard part over with, now just find a price and color your GF likes elsewhere. You could always haggle with the original dealer later if you feel like it, but a few too many red flags in my opinion.

OP
OP
spta97

spta97

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
I got mine for $48k or $49K (I forget) plus tax and title on a vehicle that stickered at $56.7K. If you are willing to do a day trip, you can certainly get well under sticker.
Awesome idea - thanks!

Sales people are pathological liars. You can get them under sticker no problem. Go to a different dealership. At this point, I'd wait to see what the 2022 models will get and wait to order one of those. If the 2022 doesn't bring anything exciting, you can still go look for a 20 or 21 that's below MSRP.
Hmmm...I didn't think about 2022's. Any idea when they are coming out?

I'm not sure there is anything that she would care about as the power is more than any car she has ever driven (except mine) and she is pretty slow but did give it a little gas.

From what people post on this forum I would go somewhere else. Many have gotten 2020 and 2021 well under msrp.
That's what surprised me - I can't imagine a RWD car in NY with summer tires sells that well.

I know the "other" supra forum but here's a post I had put there about dealing with a dealer and pricing:

https://www.supraforums.com/threads/pricing-for-2021-us-zupra.1120327/page-2#post-13929547
The other dealer in the area here is selling them 5kish under msrp, watched them sell 5 that was in the last few months so I'd go somewhere else if I were you. The first dealer I went to hasn't gotten another one in since the first 2020 they had. Metro Detroit here.
I'll check out that thread - thanks! I'm so glad I found this forum as there appears to be nothing but hate there lol.

I got mine for 47k a 2020 3.0 premium in St. Louis, MO that had under 5k miles.
There are a lot here that dealerships are literally sending them to other dealers in hopes that the car can sell over there.
It’s covid... nobody is buying a car now. It’s after the nee year. People that were buying cars have already bought them.

fyi. Shipping a car coast to coast is $500 aprx...
Good idea about the shipping - also I figured if they guy wanted to sell it to us he could just do a swap from another dealer.

All those things sound like a car dealer cliche. Toyota doesn't even build them in one of their factories, they're built in a contract factory run by a company called Magna Steyr...I haven't heard that they shut down. Car companies are suffering a semiconductor shortage which is causing disruption in general. I don't believe the Supra is a high-volume seller, but all the dealers here in San Antonio have at least a couple. When I was shopping a few weeks ago only one tried to go over sticker, the rest were at or below. If you can widen your search a bit to a few more dealers I think you should get something a bit more reasonable.
Other things he said were that certian colors were only available in certain areas.

Tomorrow we are checking out another dealership which had MSRP prices on the site with a buy now button so at least they are not over.

... And honestly if they really thought it would command that much over sticker they would never have let you test drive it before agreeing to terms. You got the hard part over with, now just find a price and color your GF likes elsewhere. You could always haggle with the original dealer later if you feel like it, but a few too many red flags in my opinion.
You're not kidding! He also pealed off the protective film on the one we drove (rather roughly) and it was covered in dust from sitting. Hopefully tomorrow's dealer experience is better.

Also, the place we are going to tomorrow has white and black in their inventory - the colors she is interested in.

Thanks for all the replies! I'll update after dealer #2.

Octane

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'22 Supra
The dealer I bought mine from last year currently has 3 Supra 3.0's in stock. Red, White, and black. Plenty of deals to be had, just go to a different dealership like others have said.

freeform911

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 a91 edition Supra 2016 Lexus rc f BMW 435I
I agree...to many other dealers willing to sell for msrp or under...
You could find 1 in another state n take a flight 1 way and drive it home...
Good luck in your search but definitely don't pay over msrp...
Steve

Narwahl

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Gti
Dealer around me offered 5k off right away. I feel like paying over msrp is silly at this point.

Loco38SUP

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 GR Supra 3.0 (Renaissance Red)
There are too many deals in other states to pay over MSRP. Even if you have the car shipped to you for $1500 its still worth it to buy somewhere else.

-RJM

Loco38SUP

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 GR Supra 3.0 (Renaissance Red)

I don’t know how far you’re from New Jersey but go get your Supra from Hackensack Toyota. They have several Premium 3.0 models at $6K below MSRP. This dealership has friendly straight forward sales people. Here is a link.

https://www.toyotaofhackensack.com/...cy=07601&md=8739&mk=63&tp=new&tr=229&tr=13433

-RJM
Sponsored