Spoiler over ceramic coating

Cheesedawg

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 Toyota GR Supra 3.0 Premium
I feel like I know the answer to this one before I ask it but I may as well. I just received a A91 knockoff spoiler from A90 shop after giving up on Automodz ever shipping or communicating with me again. I was supposed to have this in my hands and on the car months ago. My appointment for the PPF and ceramic coating were scheduled well out after when I expected to get the spoiler but it never came and the PPF and ceramic coating are now on the car.

I assume I will need to in some way strip the ceramic coating from the rear lip/trunk area in order to stick the spoiler on.

So two questions; Has anyone done this without stripping ceramic coating and had it stick successfully? It came with what appears to be 3M VHB tape. Or does anyone have a recommendation for removing ceramic coating?

Thanks for the advice.
Sponsored

SupraNews

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
20 XSE Hatch, 22 3.0 Prem, Chevy Z06(waiting list)
Yes you should remove before you put it on

suicidaleggroll

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0 Premium, 2012 WRX
I took mine to the shop that did the ceramic coat. They stripped it, installed the lip, then re-applied the coat over top

OP
OP
Cheesedawg

Cheesedawg

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 Toyota GR Supra 3.0 Premium
Yes you should remove before you put it on
Any tips for personal removal? I have seen mixed recommendations online about needing to polish it off vs using something simple like alcohol.
I took mine to the shop that did the ceramic coat. They stripped it, installed the lip, then re-applied the coat over top
Probably going to do this at the end of the day. Wasn't even thinking that was an option, but that does sound like the best way to handle it.

baagel

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0 Premium, 2020 Challenger Hellcat
Probably not a bad idea to strip the coating before you attach the spoiler. Although, I had some parts of a side skirt attached to my car with the ceramic coating still on. The shop assured me it would stay 🤷‍♂️

jtsang25

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2009 BMW 135i, 2020 Toyota GR Supra
I installed mine over ceramic, but used adhesion promoter per my detailers advice. Haven't had any issues in the few months it's been installed.
What kind of adhesion promoter did you use?

MisterSkiz

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Toyota Supra, 2008 Lexus IS-F
I installed my A91 replica spoiler over my ceramic coated car - I used adhesion promoter on the spoiler, but not the cars paint. It sticks just fine.

SD_MK

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 3.0 Premium
Vehicle Showcase
I installed mine over ceramic, but used adhesion promoter per my detailers advice. Haven't had any issues in the few months it's been installed.
I installed my A91 replica spoiler over my ceramic coated car - I used adhesion promoter on the spoiler, but not the cars paint. It sticks just fine.
Same. Used AP on both the wing and trunk. The car has also seen 180+mph too so the adhesion promoter proves to hold even on ceramic coatings. 🤷🏽‍♂️ Of course 180mph was achieved in mexico. 😅😬😬😐

DarkZupra

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0, 2021 Tesla M3P
You need to remove the ceramic for proper adhesion.

Easy to do with a polisher and some decent compound.
  1. Test fit the spolier. Use painters tape to mark the edges of the spoiler.
  2. Use a microfiber cutting pad and something like Jescar Correcting Compound or Sonax Cutmax.
  3. Final wipe with IPA.
  4. Still use adhesion promoter.
Good luck!

zrk

First Name
Zack
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra - Nocturnal Black
You need to remove the ceramic for proper adhesion.

Easy to do with a polisher and some decent compound.
  1. Test fit the spolier. Use painters tape to mark the edges of the spoiler.
  2. Use a microfiber cutting pad and something like Jescar Correcting Compound or Sonax Cutmax.
  3. Final wipe with IPA.
  4. Still use adhesion promoter.
Good luck!
Can also use something like Etho's Defy instead of 2. here. A little more accessible to some folks without a polisher.
Sponsored