Steering Weak Center

calmeda1

First Name
Christian
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Toyota Supra 3.0 Premium
Starting another thread related to the car's steering. I've noticed the car has sort of a "weak" or "dead" center on its steering. What I mean by this is that whenever the steering wheel is in the center, it's extremely easy to turn about +/- 10 deg before it gets tougher to steer. For example, using very light friction with my pinky, I can move it 10deg left or right before it stops due to "grip". I can probably record a video of this, in case my explanation makes no sense. Because of this, the car swerves left and right significantly whenever you're going on highway speeds. It can happen at lower speed too if you give the steering wheel a light touch, but not as much. It's pretty annoying and sometimes hard to control when you accelerate hard. I've heard similar complaints like the ones here, but this happens to me regardless of temp. Is there truly a fix to this?

For additional info, I'm running stock suspension and wheels. Only thing is that I have P4S on the front and PSS on the rear, but I've noticed the issue since I was fully on PSS. I got an alignment as well, but no fix:

21SupAlig.jpeg

I also have an aftermarket steering wheel. Don't think it should matter but adding the info just in case.
Sponsored

razorlab

First Name
Bryan / Briana
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Not a Corvette.
You can adjust the preload on the steering rack by tightening or loosening this on the rack. DO VERY SMALL CHANGES and see how it feels. If you tighten it too much it gets very stiff and doesn't return to center naturally.

You need this $10 tool to adjust it. https://a.co/d/bltg6HQ

IMG_3122.jpeg
IMG_3123.jpeg

OP
OP
calmeda1

calmeda1

First Name
Christian
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Toyota Supra 3.0 Premium
You can adjust the preload on the steering rack by tightening or loosening this on the rack. DO VERY SMALL CHANGES and see how it feels. If you tighten it too much it gets very stiff and doesn't return to center naturally.

IMG_3122.jpeg
IMG_3123.jpeg
I'll give that a go, thanks!

BA9092

First Name
Christian
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 GR Supra Absolute Zero Premium

IMG_3122.jpeg
IMG_3123.jpeg
This one's new to me. Do you turn it right or left for tightening? How many turns - 1/8th, 1/4th?
Sponsored