Stock hood stuck closed

Jmanlevan

First Name
Jordan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'23 Supra 3.0 MT, '00 4Runner SR5
I have a 2023 MT. Installed a carbon fiber radiator cooling plate today and shut my stock hood. Went to open it to show the installed piece and now the drivers side latch won’t release the hood. Passenger side pops up but not the drivers side. As a result I then have to push the passenger side down to get it to full latch. Anybody got any advice? I’ve checked the search function on the forums and have read all the threads on the issue of one latch catching but not the other but everyone seems to be able to open their hood again and slam it down the recommended 18”-20”
Sponsored

Eastwood

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Toyota Supra 3.0 MT - Stratosphere.
Which shroud did you install?

The cable that goes over it is for the hood release, you might have either damaged it or put it in a position where it can't pull the release.

OP
OP
Jmanlevan

Jmanlevan

First Name
Jordan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
@NVSpecialties

the little clip holders for the cable were super tight and the cable barely fit under them. Dang it I didn’t realize those were the hood release cables. Are they supposed to move back and forth (left to right) in those holders on the cooling plate?

Last edited:

Thraxbert

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'20 Supra 3L, boosted 3.8L Gen Coupe, '93 Jimny
No, the cable is just retained by the clips. That's actually the sheath for the cable. The real cable is inside the black jacket.

OP
OP
Jmanlevan

Jmanlevan

First Name
Jordan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
No, the cable is just retained by the clips. That's actually the sheath for the cable. The real cable is inside the black jacket.
Oh I understand that the cable is wrapped in a black sheath. I just didn’t know if the cable is supposed to be able to shift side to side or anything in order to release the latch. The cable is pretty snug in those retaining clips so if it’s supposed to move when pulling the hood latch, they definitely won’t. If that’s not the case, I don’t know what would cause the drivers side latch to not pop because I didn’t do anything in or around that area other than swap the radiator cover plate 😕

Richard Truman

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Supra Preamum
Ask the people that sold it to you They would know if it happen before

OP
OP
Jmanlevan

Jmanlevan

First Name
Jordan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
You definitely pinched or twisted something when messing with that. It's pretty easy to do.
Zach, got an ideas on how to get it released? Have you had issues with the hood latch before?

xkenx1995

First Name
Kenneth
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 GR Supra
Zach, got an ideas on how to get it released? Have you had issues with the hood latch before?
I've messed up a hood on an MK7 GTI. Ended up having to cut the grill to get access. I hope this is not a similar case.

OP
OP
Jmanlevan

Jmanlevan

First Name
Jordan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
I just stopped at a Toyota dealership and they had me schedule an appointment for next week. Said they haven’t seen this issue with a Supra yet but they’re pretty sure there is a secondary release behind the front fender liners. It’s also weird because I hear a servo type buzzing coming from the front of the car now that started yesterday and hasn’t been there in the past. Wondering if the hood latches have some sort of electric motor. It sounds like something is trying to turn over or run but then it stops after a few seconds. This only happens when I’m unlocking the car, not when I’m trying to pop the hood.

zrk

First Name
Zack
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra - Nocturnal Black
The hood latches do not have an electrical anything. It's simply mechanical. I've also had front end of these cars a part a lot more than I'd like to admit, and I've never seen a secondary anything. You'll get it sorted, but it's probably going to be annoying.

OP
OP
Jmanlevan

Jmanlevan

First Name
Jordan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
The hood latches do not have an electrical anything. It's simply mechanical. I've also had front end of these cars a part a lot more than I'd like to admit, and I've never seen a secondary anything. You'll get it sorted, but it's probably going to be annoying.
Gotcha thanks for the info. I’m kinda stressing 😅 just because there is like no room to reach in there and the cable is far enough back but yeah I’m sure it’ll get worked out!

OP
OP
Jmanlevan

Jmanlevan

First Name
Jordan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Make sure to pull the hood latch lever twice…
Yeah, I’ve owned this car long enough to know about the double pull but thanks. Like I said I installed a new part so I’ve already had the hood opened….

OP
OP
Jmanlevan

Jmanlevan

First Name
Jordan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Update!

Good news!

Had my appointment with the dealership today. They said a couple of the bolts for the hood latch assembly were loose which was causing the hood to get stuck. They tightened down those bolts and added some grease to the latches and now it's operating just fine.

I have no idea how they even got the hood open in the first place to figure it out because it was stuck good and there wasn't any room to get to the latches! Wish I could've talked to the guy who actually fixed it instead of the service writer.

Not sure how the bolts got loose, I never messed with that assembly when I had my hood open multiple times but this makes for a good PSA! Make sure your latch bolts are tight!
Sponsored