Stock trans blew

dylanhartman

First Name
Dylan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra 3.0 Premium
Very interesting situation here… Took my 2020 Supra 3.0 premium for a 3 hour drive up to a tuner that I was dying to work with (very well known and holds records)

I came to him wanting a great tune, but made it clear that I am on stock turbo, stock trans, and stock motor. This tuner has tuned thousands of Supra’s at this point, so I trust that he knows the limits of these cars better than anyone…
Dyno numbers come out to 500whp and 620whtq. The tq seemed very high to me for stock trans but I trusted his judgement.

1 week later, 10 solid pulls later, the trans is blown already. (14k miles on the car)

Not coming here to complain or bad talk my tuner, just want to know what I should do. Am I the idiot for letting him tune to 620whtq? Do I just suck it up and pay the $10k for trans build orrrrr…

I want to also add that the “service” for my tune and the amount of time I waited was ridiculous for paying almost $2k, then to have my trans fail on me a week after being finished.

sorry for the long details. Lmk if I’m just an idiot lol
Sponsored

visconti

Silver Sponsor
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.vtune.us
Car(s)
Subaru STi, VR30, S55 M3, GOLF R, Supra A90
It is well-documented that the Supra transmission has torque limitations in 6th gear, which is why tuning is typically done in 5th gear. Making big torque in other gears isn't generally a problem.

I limit the torque in 6th gear in my customers' stock transmission tunes, but if your tuner didn't do this, it doesn't necessarily mean they are at fault for any issues.

If you push big torque in 6th gear, you should be able to tell that the car doesn't like it. The transmission will slip, and if this happens once or twice, the transmission shouldn't be ruined. However, continuing to do so will damage the transmission.

John

gixxersixxerman

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra
This has to be another “ this can’t be for real” posts right? Tuner didn’t blow up anything. You had your car modified. Any time you modify anything you accept the risks that the stock part can’t handle it. I’ve been tuned on e50 and right around that same torque and almost 3 years later no issue. It’s not the tuners fault

Go send your trans off and get it built. Problem solved. Zero reason to pay 10k for a trans build. Most seem to be happy with ATS (applied torque solution) trans and I think it’s around 3k or so.

Syeeee

First Name
Sye
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra GR 3.0 Premium
Hmm dozen pulls on over 600+whtg on stock trans was the problem.

FuzzyRev

First Name
RT
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
24 MT "ordered", 19 Yaris MT, 03 Yukon XL
OP
OP
dylanhartman

dylanhartman

First Name
Dylan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra 3.0 Premium
Very interesting situation here… Took my 2020 Supra 3.0 premium for a 3 hour drive up to a tuner that I was dying to work with (very well known and holds records)

I came to him wanting a great tune, but made it clear that I am on stock turbo, stock trans, and stock motor. This tuner has tuned thousands of Supra’s at this point, so I trust that he knows the limits of these cars better than anyone…
Dyno numbers come out to 500whp and 620whtq. The tq seemed very high to me for stock trans but I trusted his judgement.

1 week later, 10 solid pulls later, the trans is blown already. (14k miles on the car)

Not coming here to complain or bad talk my tuner, just want to know what I should do. Am I the idiot for letting him tune to 620whtq? Do I just suck it up and pay the $10k for trans build orrrrr…

I want to also add that the “service” for my tune and the amount of time I waited was ridiculous for paying almost $2k, then to have my trans fail on me a week after being finished.

sorry for the long details. Lmk if I’m just an idiot lol
Edit: Just want to clarify I’m not in any way saying it’s my tuners fault. I’m fully aware of the risks of tuning or pushing any car. Just wanted to put that out there.

Thraxbert

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'20 Supra 3L, boosted 3.8L Gen Coupe, '93 Jimny
You should get a trans build with Applied Torque Solutions. Far cheaper than the $10K you're citing.

Thraxbert

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)

Jesse DaBears

Gold Sponsor
First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A90 Tungsten Supra 3.0 Premium
No, my trans is 1200HP/1000TQ rated, and it was a lot less than $10K. Just message them.
Let us know when you or any one of them actually test at those numbers should be a bottom 8 second car.

Thraxbert

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Let us know when you or any one of them actually test at those numbers should be a bottom 8 second car.
I'll never be at that power level, but I know there are at least two other cars that have the next build up from mine (1200TQ rating) and have their engines being built now. I am not a forum sponsor, but I do make hardware and I have sponsorship involvement in those cars. I'll probably land somewhere in the 800TQ range when I'm done with what I want, and am a big believer in building in healthy safety margins, which is why I chose the 1000TQ package.

NitroYellowMKV

Silver Sponsor
First Name
Phillip
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Burnout A91 MT
I ran my 2020 with about 600 wheel tq, visconti tuned with no issues with the trans for about 15k miles but I did the better fluid, XHP is a good way to help. At this point like others have said, build the trans and call it a day.

MisterSkiz

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Toyota Supra, 2008 Lexus IS-F
What are you symptoms that lead you to believe the trans is destroyed?
Sponsored