Supra Happy Anniversary! Thoughts and km? / 1st Year Ownership Impressions

Bruins71

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra MKV, Highlander,Mitsubishi Lancer Ralliart
Well its been 1 year for those of us in North America .
July 22 2019 had its hick ups with the PDI download at the dealers, but for the most of us
we finally got our Supras late Monday and for me 10am Tuesday.
I drove mine right to ceramic coating and PPF.
Looking back as I had a down payment in February 19 , it was a long wait but I can say that this
car is perfect for me! Its my daily from late march to November 1 then its stored.
Couldn't be happier with the decision!
I currently have 10600 km (6580 miles)
Sponsored

thedude

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
NONE. BOUGHT BACK - 2020 Absolute Zero 3.0 Premium
Iā€™ll play along.

I put my deposit down last August and took delivery on September 19th 2019.

It ā€œbrokeā€ on September 30th with under 300 miles.

The car went into the shop on October 7th with just under 350 miles.

Drove a Camry loaner for 3 months and a RAV4 Hybrid loaner for 3 months.

Toyota bought it back March 14th.

I havenā€™t had a car since, but plan on a 2021. Awaiting the right color+options.

supraboi

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A70, GS300
Iā€™ll play along.

I put my deposit down last August and took delivery on September 19th 2019.

It ā€œbrokeā€ on September 30th with under 300 miles.

The car went into the shop on October 7th with just under 350 miles.

Drove a Camry loaner for 3 months and a RAV4 Hybrid loaner for 3 months.

Toyota bought it back March 14th.

I havenā€™t had a car since, but plan on a 2021. Awaiting the right color+options.
I'm assuming the title now has been branded "lemon buyback"? Just encase, do you still know the VIN to warn potential buyers?

thedude

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
NONE. BOUGHT BACK - 2020 Absolute Zero 3.0 Premium
I'm assuming the title now has been branded "lemon buyback"? Just encase, do you still know the VIN to warn potential buyers?
I have no idea and I donā€™t want to run afoul of Toyotaā€™s legal department.

It wasnā€™t really a ā€œlemonā€ in the classic sense anyway but once days turned to weeks and into months I had enough. It had the bad printed circuit board that blew out the driverā€™s side headlight cluster (the recall came months after my car went in). If they had the maintenance tools to fix it I would have had the car back in a few days. Now that itā€™s fixed the car should be perfectly fine for whoever ends up buying it.

Supra CRNA

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Toyota Supra GR, 2006 Mitsu Lancer Evo 9 RS
1st Year Ownership Impressions

Hi all!

I just wanted to hear everyones insight on their first year of A90 GR Supra ownership! The good, the bad and the ugly!

I hit 1 year recently and boy, it has been quite a year! I can't even fathom how a year ago, pre-covid, everything was pretty normal and where my mind was when purchasing this car, so much has happened. I always wanted to buy a Supra growing up and I knew that one day I would own one. I followed the R&D of this car for years prior to its release and it has not disappointed! Suffice to say, it has exceeded my expectations. I find every freakin reason to go out on a drive (groceries, diapers, Starbucks, whatever) and get lost in the raw performance of this car every time! I am currently running a Titan protune, catless downpipe, strut braces and H&R springs. I get compliments all the time when cruising around!

what I love: THIS IS A DRIVERS CAR! The car is very pointy, handles incredibly well and very predictable considering the short wheel base (VSC on all the time), delivers instant power when accelerating and holds throughout the power band, transmission shifts aggressively, brembo brakes compliment the car very well, love the pops and crackles! The exterior styling is wonderful, love the lines of the car, it always stands out (in a good way!)

what I hate: The horn, it sounds terrible, pretty embarrassing. Apple connect is buggy, connects whenever it wants, disconnects all the time. Wind buffeting was very annoying until I built my own wind buffeting device. I was a little disappointed in TADA SAN when I heard about all the upgrades the 2021 got, but now with the ECU'S being locked and all, I feel like I made a great choice with the 2020.

Overall, this car has been one of my bright spots of 2020 amid this COVID19 pandemic. I always found refuge and escape when going out on a drive. This car puts a smile on my face every time I drive it!
GRAFFITI SUPRA 1.jpg
Tada San and GAZOO did a great job with this car and I intend to keep it for as long as my wife lets me!

Lucky562

First Name
Lucky
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra
On the verge of pulling the trigger on one but now nervous about the ecu being locked on the 2021 models

Supra CRNA

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Toyota Supra GR, 2006 Mitsu Lancer Evo 9 RS
On the verge of pulling the trigger on one but now nervous about the ecu being locked on the 2021 models
Definitely a valid concern, BUT I have a feeling someone will come up with a solution eventually. Out the box, the MY21 is already an awesome car. Some guys getting into high 11's in the 1/4 mile all stock.

Escapist

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 GR Supra, 2016 Yamaha R1
Well after a week of ownership I can say I absolutely love mine lol. Trying my hardest to keep the rpms low until the 1200 mile break in; currently at 450 miles on the do.

Mehster

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 LE Supra, 2009 Jeep Wrangler
I've had mine for about exactly a year now.

Love:
I'm still in love with the way the car looks and drives. It's an incredibly comfy and nice place to be with plenty of gadgets and safety features. I've taken a few road trips in it and the fuel economy is also impressive. I've only had a couple BMW jokes and those were light-hearted. Almost everyone that has seen it in person or taken a ride with me has had nothing but good things to say about it.

Compared to my prior car (2013 FR-S), this thing is a rocket ship. The power is just addictive and now that I've had it for a while, I know the limits and can easily have a lot of fun without getting into too much trouble. I don't know about everyone else, but I feel like if I don't put it in sport mode, I'm wasting a drive. :) The only time I ever run it in normal mode is cruising on the highway for a long trip.

Hate:
  • It is still getting quite a bit of attention and feel like I need to be careful where I park it and leave it. I'll be glad when that dies down a bit and I'm not always nervous about where I leave it.
  • Wind buffeting was really bad, but I did the $8 amazon hyper-sonic door guard fix and that's a thing of the past.
  • The sub-woofer box in the back is just awful for a car at this price point. It sounds worse than my 11 year old Wrangler. I've seen the fixes posted in the other sub-forums, but I may just pay a pro audio shop to take care of this for me. My dealer left me high and dry when I asked them to look at all the rattling going on back there even at low volume.
  • I was the first to have my car serviced at my dealership and they had me leave it over-night for an oil change and inspection. Hopefully, this isn't a bad sign of things to come if anything more serious needs to be addressed.
Future Plans:
I'm planning to get the rear sub box sound deadened probably next spring. I want to address the rattles and tighten up the bass response.
Most of the tuning and coding things I'd want to do I'm going to wait until my warranty is up. First thing to go is the dumb synthetic engine noise from the speakers. Second thing will be the brightness fix on the infotainment screen.
I'm probably in a tiny majority, but I want some rear window louvers big-time! Eyeballing the Zakustech ones currently.

MCSeverino

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0 Premium, 2020 Hyundai Palisade Limited
I've only had mine a couple of months, but love it. The only real nagging issue is the lack of an external trunk release. There are times I wish the trans was a DCT, but the current box is really pretty decent in sport mode.

Mehster

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 LE Supra, 2009 Jeep Wrangler
So far I have some plastic'y squeaky noises coming from the plastic cover over where the driver's side seat belt goes in. You can hear that sometimes when driving. The door cards do not feel 100% solid and pushing on them has the same cheap plastic'y creaking sound. As far as driving around, no noises from the dash area or anything that is too noticeable. It's really really quiet compared to the racket my FR-S made after many years of ownership. Only time will tell how things hold up though.
Sponsored