OP
BMWAF

BMWAF

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Car(s)
'23 Supra; '08 Civic Type R; '91 VN Commodore.
I’m so lost. Why are we back on Type Rs again, lol?
But since we brought it up. Here’s the comparable FL5 Type R vs the 21+ Supra (circled tracks). Also attaching a screenshot of the old vs new Type R.

BF053577-E5EC-4135-AF4E-D557E15E33B1.jpeg
18B779F7-A793-4437-B353-89183E51418A.jpeg

E9AAEE39-077C-4AA9-A744-70B78B39150B.png
Cool. All the other information I've seen was less conclusive. Thanks for posting the above.
Sponsored

Kolme

First Name
Kolme
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 Toyota Supra 3.0 Premium
Cool. All the other information I've seen was less conclusive. Thanks for posting the above.
I love this website lol. I spend too much time on it looking at things I can’t buy hahaha (fastest laps)

kaj

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra
If I remember correctly, the hatchback CTR had a roll cage and some other stuff for it's 'Ring run. I don't remember details... but I do seem to recall there being some controversy. Maybe the new one did too?
Also.. I'd rather run a CTR around the 'Ring than a Supra. The course it bumpy and FAST. How scary is it? Here's me in a 200hp (not even WHP) FWD car with all-season tires. I had about six pucker moments 😂

I say this because I don't think the average/magazine/website driver is going to extract a lot of performance from a high HP RWD car. That would be serious sketch.
If Honda did their own lap time, then the car may have been "safety prepped" also and had a better driver.

GRMan

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Too many
Because for all intents and purposes with opinions, conjecture and "what if's" taken out of the equation, it does appear that around a track, STOCK Type Rs are generally faster than STOCK Supras.

And don't forget that most of the Type R times that better the Supra are not the new FL5 but the previous generation!

I'm not thrilled about it, but.. facts. 😬
Guess you must be new to tracking.

You are in NSW right? No Supra that sees the track there for more than once a month is on stock tyres.

A stock GR Supra on RE-71RS or A052 will outrun any stock CTR on RE-71RS or A052. Go and check on those track events at SMSP or the times ran at the old Wakefield Park.

OP
OP
BMWAF

BMWAF

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Car(s)
Guess you must be new to tracking.

You are in NSW right? No Supra that sees the track there for more than once a month is on stock tyres.

A stock GR Supra on RE-71RS or A052 will outrun any stock CTR on RE-71RS or A052. Go and check on those track events at SMSP or the times ran at the old Wakefield Park.
This isn't about "tracking," Its about comparing one car to another - stock for stock - on a relatively level playing field.

GRMan

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Too many
This isn't about "tracking," Its about comparing one car to another - stock for stock - on a relatively level playing field.
You got caught in semantics. When people say their car is stock at the track they don’t mean stock stock. Even racing in stock class doesn’t mean sock tyres.

Comparing times of a CTR on ‘fast’ tyres (Cup 2) vs Supra on ‘slow’ tyres (PSS) is pointless. Times should be compared to when they are on similar tyres

OP
OP
BMWAF

BMWAF

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Car(s)
You got caught in semantics. When people say their car is stock at the track they don’t mean stock stock. Even racing in stock class doesn’t mean sock tyres.

Comparing times of a CTR on ‘fast’ tyres (Cup 2) vs Supra on ‘slow’ tyres (PSS) is pointless. Times should be compared to when they are on similar tyres
In many ways I agree but I'm just looking at it from a lay consumer purchase point of view. Lets call it drive it out of the showroom performance. In fact, if all car testing was done this way it might entice manufacturers to provide better tyres, etc. Even the Type R using "optioned" tyres is a bit of a cheat as far as I'm concerned - on top of the gutting the cabin, etc.

In fact, I'd go as far as to say the option tyres on the Type R only exist to ensure the car could make good times for the PR package.

For me, it's about removing as many variables as possible to better compare the purchase package and not necessarily giving any car the best opportunity to be as quick as possible. Sure, that's a valid thing to compare too but it is a different and more after market comparison. Most people (not most people on the forum - but most of the general public) - will likely run these cars completely bone stock.

Bah.. It's all just bullshit anyway. 😃

Fiendbusa

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Mazda3
I used to own a 18 Type R and handling wise, it feels much sharper and planted than the Supra, not surprised.

Those things are like go karts on rails. Razor sharp, point and shoot lol, it's insane the speeds you can take a corner in with it, you think you're going to understeer but the backend just rotates and you're good to go lol.

I remember with just a 93 octane tune you can make like 350whp/350wtq.

Last edited:

FLtrackdays

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 Supra 3.0, ND MX5 Club, VW GTI MK7.5
Good article backing up the great times with the Type R

https://www.roadandtrack.com/news/a...ivic-type-r-fl5-nurburgring-record/?source=nl

biggest key to me is the tires. They talk about tires as well. That may sound silly but it makes all the difference in the world. It is a great little front drive 4 seater car. I still can’t imagine one passing me on track unless the mods were insane and didn’t overheat afterwards. But @Imfao is right. It’s a lot of bang for the buck right out of the showroom door!

GRMan

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Too many
In many ways I agree but I'm just looking at it from a lay consumer purchase point of view. Lets call it drive it out of the showroom performance. In fact, if all car testing was done this way it might entice manufacturers to provide better tyres, etc. Even the Type R using "optioned" tyres is a bit of a cheat as far as I'm concerned - on top of the gutting the cabin, etc.

In fact, I'd go as far as to say the option tyres on the Type R only exist to ensure the car could make good times for the PR package.

For me, it's about removing as many variables as possible to better compare the purchase package and not necessarily giving any car the best opportunity to be as quick as possible. Sure, that's a valid thing to compare too but it is a different and more after market comparison. Most people (not most people on the forum - but most of the general public) - will likely run these cars completely bone stock.

Bah.. It's all just bullshit anyway. 😃
From my experience most people who owns a GR Supra somehow knows quite a bit and you can tell they have been talking to other people about the Supra. Again, that's only from my experience so it has never crossed my mind that a Supra owner would think the CTR is superior in performance (not to undermine a CTR cause it's a brilliant car). I know what sort of times a stock GR Supra would do vs a last gen CTR when they are running similar 'track' tyres. There is def a bit of a gap when the drivers are of similar calibre.

But as you said, it's all BS anyway. As long as you are having fun as a owner, who cares :)

Rocksandblues

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra, e46 M3, diesel BMW e90, GL450
Never understood the point of a fwd track car?
Also never had any type R pass me on the track. ;)

video for a chuckle. actual video is from like 3 years ago. my supra was basically stock. and a type R was modified. There was a group of three "kids" with them that didn't believe in point bys because nothing could be as fast as their full bolt on tuned type R

was only driving at 7/10s or below.

But he ran out of talent at the 4:15 mark trying desperately to not let me pass.

They kept altering tunes w lap tops between sessions. Think this was only my first or second time with this organization and got moved up quickly...

all good but funny memories.

Kolme

First Name
Kolme
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 Toyota Supra 3.0 Premium
Never understood the point of a fwd track car?
Also never had any type R pass me on the track. ;)

video for a chuckle. actual video is from like 3 years ago. my supra was basically stock. and a type R was modified. There was a group of three "kids" with them that didn't believe in point bys because nothing could be as fast as their full bolt on tuned type R

was only driving at 7/10s or below.

But he ran out of talent at the 4:15 mark trying desperately to not let me pass.

They kept altering tunes w lap tops between sessions. Think this was only my first or second time with this organization and got moved up quickly...

all good but funny memories.

Lol I love the chuckle when he finally finds himself in the field.

Rocksandblues

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra, e46 M3, diesel BMW e90, GL450
Lol I love the chuckle when he finally finds himself in the field.
yeah. i checked on him after the session to make sure he and car were ok... but i did chuckle with him again and told him i was purposely pushing him harder and harder because he was spending too much time in his mirror watching me fill it up and fake pass on either side. told him it was just a matter of time before he made a mistake.
Sponsored