Teaser Video: Sound of Supra | NEW TOYOTA SUPRA

scoates

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2015 GT86, 2020 Supra A90 Edition, 2021 GR Yaris
Fake sound?

I was reading through the Toyota UK website and saw something interesting about the sound of the car:
WUMvPOW.png

The fact they are referring to "driving sounds" and not using phrases like "exhaust modes", along with the fact that this was in the "Cockpit" section of the site and not under "Performance" (mentioned briefly there but not as in depth) and the supposed subs that are between the seats and boot makes me think that it could be fake sound through the speakers they are referring to.

I hope this isn't the case and that it is switchable valves in the exhaust itself or something. Will just have to wait and see later on I guess, unless someone can say otherwise?
Sponsored

scoates

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2015 GT86, 2020 Supra A90 Edition, 2021 GR Yaris
That's good. Hopefully no sound through the speakers then!

A70TTR

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
ST205 GT4, JZA70, JZA70 TT-R, S210 Athlete
yes, it does have sound through the speakers (this was in an interview as well), which I understand was introduced in general due to EU sound regulations or something. regardless, it does also have an exhaust valve.

SupraFiend

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
5 Supras currently
hmmm maybe the 2jz won't be the first mod done to these when they roll out in September. Finding that fuse and pulling it should be mod 1 lol.

Sigh, I know, its the 21st century. Its likely a software change, hopefully there is an option in the entertainment center to kill it with fire.

jm6k

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
cars
yes, it does have sound through the speakers (this was in an interview as well), which I understand was introduced in general due to EU sound regulations or something. regardless, it does also have an exhaust valve.
Is it literally fake sound? I believe some cars resonate the actual noise of the engine or exhaust through sound tubes rather than playing fake audio through the speakers.

A70TTR

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
ST205 GT4, JZA70, JZA70 TT-R, S210 Athlete
I believe for this it's sound through the speakers, but with the 86 it was soundtube so thats a good point.

SupraFiend

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
5 Supras currently
Is it literally fake sound? I believe some cars resonate the actual noise of the engine or exhaust through sound tubes rather than playing fake audio through the speakers.
Some cars, oh you mean Toyotas. Yes thats what they do. This however is a BMW so we will likely get a digital sound track. I hope what we are hearing in the launch videos is actually the car though cause that sounds good.

supraz4

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2014 BMW i3, 2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Willys
Well, I stopped caring about engine sound amplified through speakers in cabin.
When I first had my experience with soundaktor in Audi/VAG cars, I was frustrated that there is a speaker that makes engine sound inside the cabin, but after I realized that the car sounded just as good from outside as well as it sounded inside via speakers, I don't see how this is as bad as people make it out to be.
What really matters is how the car sounds from outside and if that's good, I'm sold.
B58 sounds great outside and the engine in this car is no exception to that.

Watch this video from Japan that's going over JDM GR Supra with some acceleration sounds and other goodies.

XtremeMaC

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra
GT86/FRS/BRZ has an inlet tube into the cockpit from the air intake. I don't know if I ever truly heard the difference it makes ever since I switched to aftermarket intake that disabled that. Regardless good to know Supra's a butterfly valve.

SupraFiend

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
5 Supras currently
No, the butterfly valve is to make the exhaust on the outside of the car louder and probably more efficient. It has nothing to do with the in car audio (though they probably turn that up when the valve is opened).

KahnBB6

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'93 Lexus SC300 2JZGTE R154 LSD & 2023 GR86 6MT
A70, how difficult would you reason it would be to disable or disconnect the artificial sound generator?
Sponsored