The 2021 News Really Bums Me Out / Buyer's Remorse

JasonO

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra LE
If you are tracking it, you may want to read the warranty terms in detail as Toyota / Lexus has historically frowned heavily on this and you may not have a warranty left after taking it to the track.
Sponsored

Last edited:

E46M3forRay

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
991.1 GT3 / F87 M2 CS
Yes I guess I am "One of those guys".....

Tesla (Model 3 Performance), BMW (M Cars), Porsche (GT cars) and Chevrolet (Camaro's and Corvette's) treat their customers a lot better than Toyota does! If Toyota seriously wants to compete with the other auto manufacturers in the specialty "Sports Car" market, they need to understand their customer base, otherwise I believe the very expensive Supra project will fail miserably!
Not to side track the incoming 2021s but would it change if the Supra fell under Lexus? Iā€™m curious because Iā€™ve been on the BMW camp for many years and their customer service is excellent. One of the reasons Iā€™m still on the fence in buying the Supra. Each time I bring in my T4R, experience is just meh :(

Dannyvandelft

First Name
Danny
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Ordered A91 edition Supra
Yes I guess I am "One of those guys".....

Tesla (Model 3 Performance), BMW (M Cars), Porsche (GT cars) and Chevrolet (Camaro's and Corvette's) treat their customers a lot better than Toyota does! If Toyota seriously wants to compete with the other auto manufacturers in the specialty "Sports Car" market, they need to understand their customer base, otherwise I believe the very expensive Supra project will fail miserably!
And yet you bought one, so mission accomplished.
Imagine a 911 GT3 owner walking into Porsche because the newly released GT3 got more power, asking for "an update"... he'd be laughed at!
You bought a product, you were fine with the product, now a better product is coming, and you're having a hissy fit.

Last edited:

CJ-

First Name
CJ
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Absolute Zero Supra LE
When I first saw this posted, Iā€™ll admit that I was hoping Toyota woukd have told you that ā€œYes, we can do thatā€.

it makes complete sense that they wonā€™t and so here alot of people are experiencing the old adage that ā€œcomparison is the thief of joyā€.

I think Iā€™ll go for nice long drive and enjoy my slow, soft Supra now ;)

marcfs71

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra 3.0 Premium
I was not allowed to test drive the car before I bought it. I based my decision on information I gathered from the internet.

When I bought my Porsche Cayman S, I first test drove a Nissan 370Z. That car was also "Soft and Unresponsive". The Cayman S was sharp and very responsive especially with the PASM shocks. When you press the shock and sport buttons there is a distinct difference in the damper rates and responsiveness of the car. This is not the case with the Supra. Yes you get more burbles in the exhaust and the transmission holds the gears longer on upshifts but the suspension does not change very much.

The good thing about so many supra owners not caring about the update is that Toyota would not have to make it a recall item. No, nothing is broken on the car. It is working as originally designed. The software update could just be for those that want it and they could even charge for the time it takes to do the ECU Flash.

No I am not asking for a new engine. I do believe that BMW wanted to get rid of their inventory of old engines and now that they have the are using the updated engine. I guess that is what you get when you don't develop the engine yourself.

Denton

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
23 3.0 MT
I was not allowed to test drive the car before I bought it. I based my decision on information I gathered from the internet.
You just gotta let it go - it's not worth burning mental energy over.

Most of us 'don't care' because it is not a reasonable expectation to place on Toyota. If Toyota said they would offer a flash, sure I'd let em; I'd even get on board with something like what Dinan offers. I expect nothing though because Toyota doesn't owe us anything.

Jabba

First Name
Joel
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 Hyundai Veloster N
The good thing about so many supra owners not caring about the update is that Toyota would not have to make it a recall item. No, nothing is broken on the car. It is working as originally designed. The software update could just be for those that want it and they could even charge for the time it takes to do the ECU Flash.

No I am not asking for a new engine. I do believe that BMW wanted to get rid of their inventory of old engines and now that they have the are using the updated engine. I guess that is what you get when you don't develop the engine yourself.
I respect any owner's right to tell Toyota about any short comings they have with the car, and constructive ways the company could help remedy those problems. However, how Toyota is structured today doesn't make it easy. I'm confident they still haven't even addressed the wind buffeting issue 2020 owners were complaining about. And that could be a cheap fix dealers could do.

Not to be offensive, but I think whatever info you gathered on the internet wasn't either complete or correct. You keep referring to a software update. You do understand the engine blocks in the 2020 Supra and 2021 Supra are different right? B58C=2020, B58D=2021. Toyota is not going to take the risk on "updating" approved engine specs to match an older car to a newer model. They didn't even do this to older FRS buyers when the 86 had a massive 5hp bump. It sucks, but you got a Supra so....

RichSC

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 LE Supra #86, 2018 Raptor
Too soft and not responsive enough?? :rofl:

Car felt great to me on track aside from the body roll, but that's a fairly easy fix. Power was good too and the 3 others that rode along with me for a few laps were impressed by it. This was all while stock still, so I'm eager to see how it does with the few things I've added.

JasonO

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra LE

When I bought my Porsche Cayman S, I first test drove a Nissan 370Z. That car was also "Soft and Unresponsive". The Cayman S was sharp and very responsive especially with the PASM shocks. When you press the shock and sport buttons there is a distinct difference in the damper rates and responsiveness of the car. This is not the case with the Supra. Yes you get more burbles in the exhaust and the transmission holds the gears longer on upshifts but the suspension does not change very much.

No offense meant here but no one forced you to buy a car you didnā€™t test drive. That isnā€™t an argument for Toyota to revise a prior model year.

If you were going to want the improved Supra, why buy the first model year in 20 years? This was no secret.

justbake

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
F10 535i
The B58C in the 2020 Supra is a new engine as is the the B58D in the 2021 Supra. Same age, just different motors. Software wonā€™t change your compression ration and head design.

s219

First Name
Doc
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
BMW X3 M40i, BMW M2 Comp, Ferrari 328
You said many other things that are a stretch, but this was the worst, and it shows you are extremely uneducated about the B58 engines and the car in general. You ought to stop before you demonstrate any more ignorance.