The A70TTR Dedication Thread!

justbake

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
F10 535i
In other news, looks like the Supra will be getting the TRD treatment vs GR (not surprising, especially given Toyota has expanded the TRD lineup to now include Camry etc).
Are referring to the Camry and Avalon teaser for the LA auto show? I would love to see a performance version of the two (and ES) with increased power output and not just sport springs, brakes, and aero

OP
OP

A70TTR

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
ST205 GT4, JZA70, JZA70 TT-R, S210 Athlete
Yep, apparently Corolla is going to be added as well.

The timing is hilarious IMO... Oh, look we already have several cars now with TRD badging marketing, guess that GR thing wouldn't fit in well here.

justbake

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
F10 535i
Yep, apparently Corolla is going to be added as well.

The timing is hilarious IMO... Oh, look we already have several cars now with TRD badging marketing, guess that GR thing wouldn't fit in well here.
They will have a hard time being taken seriously if they don't have actual performance variants of them. Especially with the Supra launch a month and a half later, launching sub-par variants doesn't show they are committed to performance. If they do launch performance variants, I think it will hype up the supra launch so much more

OP
OP

A70TTR

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
well, performance is relative... I expect aero, wheels, intakes, catbacks, brakes, sway bars, and lowering springs/shocks/struts; much of the same stuff available for the FRS/86 IIRC.

that said, I honestly don't have a great opinion of TRD USA, especially given it's run by super out of touch individuals that only seem to care about trucks and you guessed it, NASCAR lol. that's why when it comes to the more performance oriented version of the Supra, I am worried for the US market. The best thing that could happen is they peel off the GR badges and slap on TRD ones, but I don't have a lot of faith.

tha7osavage

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2015 Subaru WRX
well, performance is relative... I expect aero, wheels, intakes, catbacks, brakes, sway bars, and lowering springs/shocks/struts; much of the same stuff available for the FRS/86 IIRC.

that said, I honestly don't have a great opinion of TRD USA, especially given it's run by super out of touch individuals that only seem to care about trucks and you guessed it, NASCAR lol. that's why when it comes to the more performance oriented version of the Supra, I am worried for the US market. The best thing that could happen is they peel off the GR badges and slap on TRD ones, but I don't have a lot of faith.
This is exactly what Iā€™m worried about. We all know that US TRD =/= GR lol. That Japan allocation is looking good for you, A70 ;)

I truly hope we donā€™t get shafted out of the GR Supra.

GT-Four

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Toyota Celica
Hi @A70TTR any rough idea as to what will be different in the GR Supra? It's unlike Toyota to use different engines so am I right in assuming the core engine will be the same and differences will be more external?

justbake

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
F10 535i

I guess I see it in the same way BMW and Mercedes put ///M and AMG on everything. Once you start doing so, it loses its value.

OP
OP

A70TTR

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
This is exactly what Iā€™m worried about. We all know that US TRD =/= GR lol. That Japan allocation is looking good for you, A70 ;)

I truly hope we donā€™t get shafted out of the GR Supra.
I think it's too early to assume it will end badly, but on the other side I think it's good to look at things realistically.

Hi @A70TTR any rough idea as to what will be different in the GR Supra? It's unlike Toyota to use different engines so am I right in assuming the core engine will be the same and differences will be more external?
We shall see. I'm not going to discuss the details of the car further until GR comments on it.

I guess I see it in the same way BMW and Mercedes put ///M and AMG on everything. Once you start doing so, it loses its value.
Yeah, they have really reduced the 'F' marque by doing that IMO... It was explained to me that one of the reasons F Sport was created was that everyone started begging to have an F badge in order to impress Akio lol.

In effect, it just makes me sigh when I see the F badge on those models.

jm6k

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
cars
From what I've seen, GRMN employs similar marketing, although the cars are not nearly as prevalent as every realtor in the US driving a Lexus F Sport. I think the best case we can hope for is for Toyota NA to do the same thing with the TRD brand and have a TRD and a TRD Sport or something along those lines. In Japan you can get a G's (GRMN tuned) minivan... actually two of them. Somehow in the US it seems like the non-F Sport models are less common than the F Sports; that's the problem I have with them. Hopefully TRD badges don't take over everything at Toyota in the same way.

OP
OP

A70TTR

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
yeah, the difference is the image; the GR/GR Sport models differentiate themselves more visually from standard cars and the marketing generally follows suit. then you have the GRMN versions which are typically fairly impressive and further differentiate themselves more towards the race aesthetic and have the special badge.

I will say the G tuned vans etc are kind of silly, but they're also not using the GR badge, instead opting for G's "Toyota G Sports"

There just needs to be more differentiation between 'F' and F Sport

As far as TRD, I think it should just be kept specifically to higher trim cars and not something like TRD Sport, because as you said then it will be plastered all over everything just like the Lexus'. I look to how Nissan handles Nismo models as an ideal use case here.
Sponsored

Last edited: