The A70TTR Dedication Thread!

OP
OP

A70TTR

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
ST205 GT4, JZA70, JZA70 TT-R, S210 Athlete
They developed the car ground up for race applications, so they have a lot of what they need already, but just from a marketing/sales and manufacturing standpoint it has to be a ways out. In any case, they've said they still have a lot to do as well, so I think it's 2 years minimum.

The issue with guessing is that things change at a moments notice, but that's just how it is haha.

TheFalls

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Toyota
Thanks for the reply.
Do you have any idea about the Turbo four cylinder engines ?
Are they the same and just tuning is different?

My guess is that they have been given the engines from the Mini Cooper S and JCW. Both are different in their compression ratios.

I am hoping the SZ and SZ-R have the same engines and only mapping is different. Doesn’t make sense though.

Thank you.

Last edited:
OP
OP

A70TTR

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
I have always had little info on the 4cyl cars unfortunately. Even when I was working on the project I practically never heard anything about it. It was always about the 6 cylinder.

For a while, I even had doubts if they were a thing.

But yeah, I won't be of much help unfortunately. If I ventured a guess, I'd say the engines themselves are the same inside, but that the other components and accessories are likely different. All conjecture on my part however.

TheFalls

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Toyota
Thank you for the reply.;)

Will keep my eyes peeled for some details.

If you hear anything, please update us.

mas921

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Several RWD's
A70! Quick question if I may: not sure if this was asked before but, heard anything about a Supra "RC" ?

OP
OP

A70TTR

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
nah, I mentioned it the other day as something that would be cool, but AFAIK it's not a thing.

mas921

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Several RWD's
Yeah that would've been cool, and quite "light" LOL

Death666wish_

First Name
Abdulla
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2005 Mitsubishi lancer 5-speed (out of commission), 1991 Firebird Formula (out of commission), 2008 Toyota Camry
So what do they think at Toyota regarding all this hate? Tada or Toyoda or anyone else share their thoughts on this? Or are they just thinking that it'll pass? Or that people will change their minds when owners start getting their cars?

Bryster

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Nothing,considering a Civic DX
So what do they think at Toyota regarding all this hate? Tada or Toyoda or anyone else share their thoughts on this? Or are they just thinking that it'll pass? Or that people will change their minds when owners start getting their cars?
Toyota seems to calculate a lot of things, so I'm sure they had this in mind

Guff

Staff member
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A80, A90, Mk1 Celica
Vehicle Showcase
We talked to Tada San about it, he basically said "lol, look at the 86 launch".

The 86 got the exact same Internet shit-talking, and then everyone started to shut up when they saw Chris Harris pouring smoke out the back of one at Jarama shouting "YES, YES, YESSS, THIS IS THE CAR WE'VE BEEN WAITING FOR"

This car will be more of the same. Just hilarious how history repeats itself.

Also, we've been talking to Tada San personally about various things over the last few days, asking about his involvement in the B58's development, it's reliability, etc. He's been much more happy to share now that we're chatting with him one on one. All the details of these conversations are probably not for posting, but let me just say this:

The B58 in the Supra has passed every single Toyota quality and durability test and met every qualification that every Toyota/Lexus engine is required to go through. Quite a feat for an engine supposedly pulled off of BMWs part shelf... :cool:

Also, the production model has 340PS as a good balanced base car, but Toyota has already been upgrading parts on the powertrain to prepare for future models. A 400PS version of the engine that meets the same durability standards is already in the works. When that will be available, and on what trim, is something that we were not told :thumbsup:.

This is just the beginning boys. :headbang: I'll update you guys as we get info from Tada San. Btw he's funny as hell, and is currently enjoying the warm Arizona weather, no doubt excited to see how much money that Supra will fetch for charity.

Viselord

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Subaru BRZ
Great news! Thanks for the update. History will repeat itself as it did with the 86 and LFA. Good to hear that Toyota recognizes this (I guess it shouldn't be surprising) and not taking all this negative attention the wrong way. Also, great to hear that they already have plans moving forward. Exciting times ahead.

DevonK

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
TBD
Big difference of course is the GT86 launched with a manual. Had it not done so, the reviews would have been less laudatory.

And complaints about the engine's power delivery emerged pretty quickly IIRC.

Guff

Staff member
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A80, A90, Mk1 Celica
Vehicle Showcase
Big difference of course is the GT86 launched with a manual.

And complaints about the engine's power characteristics emerged pretty quickly IIRC.
Sure, and I'm sure the Supra will have flaws too. The automatic-only thing being the first of them. Won't change the fact that if it drives well, it will be received well. Plus, just like with the BRZ, the aftermarket will come in to fix whatever they feel needs fixing.

DevonK

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
TBD
Too bad the aftermarket can't do anything about the slushbox.

If Toyota has decided to bring out a manual version (and given the lead times needed they probably have the plans for the next 2 model years locked in by now), they might be well advised to let that be known sooner rather than later. Sure, it may result in a short-term sales hit as some wait for the manual, but the positive response would be enormous, assuming the rest of the car reviews well. They could short-circuit a lot of the negative PR we're seeing in the enthusiast community.
Sponsored