justbake

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
F10 535i
I'm unaware of such a model.
A few reports have mentioned it, it doesn’t really make sense to me since the RC and LC are relatively close in size but I thought I’d ask.

“Toyota allegedly plans to use the Mazda-sourced rear-drive platform and inline-six engine first on a successor to its Mark X (pictured below) premium sedan. Lexus intends to implement these parts on a new coupe that would slot between the existing RCand LC.”

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.motor1.com/news/355606/lexus-rc-mazda-engine-rumor/amp/
Sponsored

OP
OP

A70TTR

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
ST205 GT4, JZA70, JZA70 TT-R, S210 Athlete
Hm, very interesting. I am aware of plans with Mazda for a few different items and a few different rumors floating around, but I was not aware/hadn't heard of a new coupe using a Mazda platform.

Ill try to dig a bit and see what I get.

KahnBB6

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'93 Lexus SC300 2JZGTE R154 LSD & 2023 GR86 6MT
New SC/Soarer perhaps? : )

it would make sense if the core driveline is shared with other Toyota sports models.

Viselord

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Subaru BRZ
^ Those guys know far more than I do at this point, but to my understanding it was only going to run until 2025. Tada said early on that it was a fairly short run, and since then I've only seen production dates that line up with what you said (2025/26MY)

As to why, well :D

For sure! BTW, we are definitely still working with Mazda on some stuff, so keep your eyes peeled. I often say things that are meant to push folks into thinking out loud and by doing so they many times start to connect the dots of what is happening behind the scenes ;)
Lol you give us a hint to why the big smile?

Bryster

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Nothing,considering a Civic DX
Will the Supra be getting any new colors in the next model year?

justbake

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
F10 535i
I still don't see why a top trim A90 can't have the V35a or V35a THS-R Hybrid to keep everyone happy and to differentiate itself from the upcoming M2. This is something that can be done within a couple years. If they make Toyota/Supra diehards wait longer than 2025, they will have moved on and Toyota will never hear the end of it.
  • The V35a already meets emissions in the EU.
  • Toyota has put BMW engines in Toyotas, so they can do it the other way around.
  • CLAR platform supports V8s, so a V6 will fit. CLAR also supports hybrids.
  • BMW has an existing relationship with Aisin so either ZF or Aisin transmission can be integrated.
  • The car already broke I6 heritage by using a I4.

I know I am beating a dead horse, but the current narrative is the car will have 394, 414, or 430hp and we don't even know if that will meet EU emissions standards so they are still stuck with 335hp. It just seems like wasted potential of this platform and nameplate to limit this car to low 400s. For some reason this forum is okay with mediocrity and Toyota/Supra getting the short end of the stick in this partnership by being held back by BMW's entry level RWD car when we were let to believe Toyota has full control of the car.

What am I missing here? I said it in another thread but I do not know why Toyota thinks they get to play by a different set of rules than everyone else.

Last edited:
OP
OP

A70TTR

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
^ You have to have people that care and care a decent amount in order to push things along, and those people need powerful friends to back them up. What happens when you have few of those or ones with VERY short attention spans? Very little coupled with confusing outcomes; that's all I'll say.

SS09ER

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
RS13
@A70TTR I want to ask you something:I live in a country in Europe with high taxes.Sports cars have no future here at least for now ,even though everybody like them.Do you believe that if i send an email to Mr Akio Toyoda to express my beliefs about what countries like mine need(for example SFR concept),would he actually receive it?Or someone lower in hierarchy would just pass it away?

OP
OP

A70TTR

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Unfortunately that would likely fall on def ears, but the GR Yaris was developed around the effects of smaller engine and emissions requirements (specifically the racing series that is based on that principle).

Toyota will continue to innovate and look at trends in that space to try to appease the market, but the EU is definitely way more committed to the carbon/emission limits and thus limits what's available there given everywhere else is more lax. I don't see that fact changing much, at least short term, but that said Toyota is more committed to hybrid and hydrogen than many others, so that maybe end up being the saving grace.

OP
OP

A70TTR

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Apologies. I actually saw another thread briefly pop up in my emails referencing that I had been missing and that some were worried (I meant to reply and forgot). I have 5 projects currently, and there's simply not enough bandwidth to get even close to catching up.

Basically just been really busy as this whole virus thing really impacted things in an adverse way. That said, I am fairly lucky in some ways as after some shuffling around I am back in Japan and am allowed to stay (makes more sense since it was always HQ for me), but almost anyone else non Japanese got sent back to their respective countries. But some projects that were likely to be canned ended up just getting postponed and Toyota is still fairly on track with deadlines for products that were already set for release.

In any case, if I am not able to get back to speak for a while again, I hope you and everyone else are well or at least doing the best you can in these uncertain times.