The A70TTR Dedication Thread!

OP
OP

A70TTR

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
ST205 GT4, JZA70, JZA70 TT-R, S210 Athlete
It's a modular adaptation of the GR Yaris drivetrain from all I've heard, so it should be AWD. That said, the chassis isn't bespoke like it is with the GR Yaris, so kind of unfortunate that way but should mean less cost as a plus (I think last I heard they were trying for mid 30s or so if I'm not misremembering).

We are fairly behind on other projects atm and I'm behind on my work as well, so I haven't had time or the ability to really get out and investigate further. Not a great situation overall, but still some exciting stuff coming down the pipeline.
Sponsored

kona61

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Sold Launch Edition Supra #445
Vehicle Showcase
It's a modular adaptation of the GR Yaris drivetrain from all I've heard, so it should be AWD. That said, the chassis isn't bespoke like it is with the GR Yaris, so kind of unfortunate that way but should mean less cost as a plus (I think last I heard they were trying for mid 30s or so if I'm not misremembering).

We are fairly behind on other projects atm and I'm behind on my work as well, so I haven't had time or the ability to really get out and investigate further. Not a great situation overall, but still some exciting stuff coming down the pipeline.
Still sounds quite exciting. May have to add one of those to the garage.

OP
OP

A70TTR

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
I haven't heard anything of the sort.

the new Z is supposedly just a reskin of the Z34 platform according to a buddy of mine at Nissan JP. Not saying it's bad given new interior, exterior, and turbo V6, but I don't think it's going to be capable of what the A90 is and might even have the same auto (Jatco 7AT) and manual (6spd) that they're using currently.

I also believe Nissan is going to charge every bit of $50k for that thing, but I've read some reports saying less (doubt it). Theyre not in a great financial position and have commented that they're looking to improve brand perception and charge more to recoup R&D costs and increase profit. Good news is that could mean better quality vehicles however, as they focus more on each individual sale vs volume.

vb22

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
SC300
I haven't heard anything of the sort.

the new Z is supposedly just a reskin of the Z34 platform according to a buddy of mine at Nissan JP. Not saying it's bad given new interior, exterior, and turbo V6, but I don't think it's going to be capable of what the A90 is and might even have the same auto (Jatco 7AT) and manual (6spd) that they're using currently.

I also believe Nissan is going to charge every bit of $50k for that thing, but I've read some reports saying less (doubt it). Theyre not in a great financial position and have commented that they're looking to improve brand perception and charge more to recoup R&D costs and increase profit. Good news is that could mean better quality vehicles however, as they focus more on each individual sale vs volume.
I don't think that's far fetched at all. Considering the 400hp Q60 starts around $57k.

https://www.infinitiusa.com/vehicles/coupes/q60.html#

OP
OP

A70TTR

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Yeah, I haven't heard anything from that friend on specific pricing, but from what he was saying they wanted to move the car further upscale and given the Supra and some other competition that's roughly where I see it landing.

I think if they're smart they'll try to undercut the others though, especially if they managed to save money staying on that same or nearly same platform (maybe have a bare bones version somewhere in the mid to high 40s).

gemmoglock

First Name
gogoggoo
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
pedal power
A70TTR, just a few random shots in the dark (offtopic again if you don't mind):

1) Lexus rolled out the standard PR line that no comments on future models including ISF during the 2021 IS facelift launch. Do you think ISF is likely? I think so many chassis tweaks can't be just for existing powertrains, but there may be other considerations.
2) Over at Toyota, since the Sienna has a similar hybrid powertrain to the RAV4, do you think a higher power version like the RAV4 Prime is in the pipeline? Or even a Camry Prime?
3) Back to the Supra, is it going to eventually get the 48V starter motor/hybrid hardware that is rolling out across the BMW family?

Thanks in advance :)

Heywood220

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
13 FR-S, 22 Tundra, 93 325i
On the dealer end for #2 I have to say they need to make enough of the Rav4 Prime to go around before they branch out into other cars. Since I am in a Non Carb state we are absolutely SCREWED since they only go to the carb states for stupid political reasons. Sorry rant over, just hate getting burned for stupid state politics.

OP
OP

A70TTR

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
1) No ISF planned as far as I know and there are only external rumors about an IS500. The only reason the IS even got updated is because Lexus wants that model in the product stack, but ES and the SUVs are the focus and what sells.
2) No Sienna Prime is planned at this time afaik but it can support that system as you said. I actually worked on the new Sienna for a little while and they're awesome! Would be cool to have a PIH option there.
3) Not sure honestly, but one of the BMW guys said that's likely going to be a thing. But maybe the next Supra is already being developed in-house as a hybrid :D

Ash_89

First Name
Ash
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Mazda 2 (1.3L)
1) No ISF planned as far as I know and there are only external rumors about an IS500. The only reason the IS even got updated is because Lexus wants that model in the product stack, but ES and the SUVs are the focus and what sells.
2) No Sienna Prime is planned at this time afaik but it can support that system as you said. I actually worked on the new Sienna for a little while and they're awesome! Would be cool to have a PIH option there.
3) Not sure honestly, but one of the BMW guys said that's likely going to be a thing. But maybe the next Supra is already being developed in-house as a hybrid :D
This is just speculation on my end and not meant to dig for more info but from the outside this second refresh/face lift for the IS seems like there aren't plans to continue it past this point.

The first generation lasted 7 years, second: also seven and third: is on it's seventh year this year.

Unless of course there are major factors that need to be finalised before a new generation can be made, perhaps there's still some technology being developed like the rumoured (not sure if I read it in this thread) use of Mazda's straight six.

Also the lack of a true performance model is a bit sad, at least it looks nice apart from the stepped boot/trunk. The front is aggressive without being overdone (IMO).

And thank you for this thread A70TTR :)

justbake

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
F10 535i
TNGA or CLAR?

OP
OP

A70TTR

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
This is just speculation on my end and not meant to dig for more info but from the outside this second refresh/face lift for the IS seems like there aren't plans to continue it past this point.
It is possible given discussions I've had with colleagues on the matter. It's sort of in the same situation as the late GS, but it's also the only smaller RWD sedan they have. Time will tell.

TNGA or CLAR?
I haven't got anything on it that deep yet; as far as I'm aware it's only in the initial phase (what I like to call whiteboarding), where ideas are being thrown around. But it has been said it will be a Toyota design with little/no external assistance for the new one, so we'll see how that goes.

Bryster

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Nothing,considering a Civic DX
I haven't got anything on it that deep yet; as far as I'm aware it's only in the initial phase (what I like to call whiteboarding), where ideas are being thrown around. But it has been said it will be a Toyota design with little/no external assistance for the new one, so we'll see how that goes.
Oh nelly, that's going to be a pricey one.
It's probably going to share the same hybrid tech as the GR Super Sport

Captain_Kirk

First Name
Kirk
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
?
But maybe the next Supra is already being developed in-house as a hybrid :D
Can't say that I'm shocked. Its not like Toyota hasn't thought about the idea before. But will it be done 100% in house? Not even leasing Mazda's new straight?
Sponsored