Thief uses high-tech tool to swipe Supra in seconds

puzzled

First Name
Calvin
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra Premium; VA STI; MK7 GOLF-R; etc..
Yeah, a flatbed can also steal a car effortlessly in minutes. :crazy:

Car hobby starts with a proper garage.

zrk

First Name
Zack
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra - Nocturnal Black

ain't no body got time for a garage. Street parking is life.

nosavingthrow

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0 Premium, 2022 Mazda 3 Turbo
Is it possible that the theif cloned this person’s key earlier in the day or a previous day? I don’t know how these things work but could this scenario be possible? It would explain the speed in which the car was taken. Gone in 60 seconds 😂
You can't clone the key, at least for Supra/BMW. You can only use amplifier devices to basically rebroadcast / extend an existing keys radio range... which they can do from outside your house with a powerful enough device.

Then they can enter the car, start it and drive off since it is the same as having the key, but once they drive off they no longer have a working key anymore, but car will continue to run until they turn it off. They typically head straight for a port/cargo container so the car can be shipped overseas.

AJRMKV

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Manual Supra
My street has 15 houses and 5 cars stolen in the last year. As a port city, we have a high theft rate.

I caught car thieves on camera twice attempting to steal my car, but once they noticed it was manual they left.

These group often hire teenagers to do the dirty work and they seem to chose soft targets that only require a relay attack.

Multiple steps deter them. If they're teenagers, apparently manual transmission does as well.

3literV8Eater

First Name
RJ
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 GR Supra
You can't clone the key, at least for Supra/BMW. You can only use amplifier devices to basically rebroadcast / extend an existing keys radio range... which they can do from outside your house with a powerful enough device.

Then they can enter the car, start it and drive off since it is the same as having the key, but once they drive off they no longer have a working key anymore, but car will continue to run until they turn it off. They typically head straight for a port/cargo container so the car can be shipped overseas.
Thanks for that information as I was not aware of how thieves do the things they do. Very good to know. I will take further steps to protect my vehicle from an easy theft.

kaj

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra
My understanding is the Supra’s key fobs are the newer style of BMW fob that turn off after a couple minutes of being motionless to prevent thefts. They no longer constantly try to send signals which is what these relays would intercept.
I don't know... I've had to replace a battery for a fob on a car that has only driven 6k miles. Seems like it would have lasted forever seeing how it was never used. Possibly a fluke, though. Who knows?

Every try to pull an A/T Supra onto a flatbed tow truck? :D

J29DB03

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Absolute Zero 3.0 Premium
I don't know... I've had to replace a battery for a fob on a car that has only driven 6k miles. Seems like it would have lasted forever seeing how it was never used. Possibly a fluke, though. Who knows?
Had someone ask me where I had read that and now realize “turn off” was a poor description. Technically they go into a sleep mode so probably the same as a laptop, not fully off but using minimal energy.

VTZupra

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Supra MT, 2022 GLC
Had someone ask me where I had read that and now realize “turn off” was a poor description. Technically they go into a sleep mode so probably the same as a laptop, not fully off but using minimal energy.
Just using the motion sensor as an interrupt.
Sponsored