Thief uses high-tech tool to swipe Supra in seconds

Bigboss

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
21 civic FK7 sport, supra 3.0 premium
Is the victim not the same guy who was on the news a few months ago for paying 58k for a used 2020 white Supra with red seats and claimed the car had a whole bunch of problems lol

Last edited:

consultadrone

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra
Either the owner had every unlock signal turned off (mirror fold, light flash and welcome light), or that car was already unlocked and the person driving it away had the damn key. Normally, relays require another person to be at the exterior of the house with an antenna to "relay" the fob signal to the person at the car. Maybe they were off camera?

bk5

First Name
BK
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
CUL A91-MT
This isn't a hoax or insurance fraud. Relay attacks are very effective for stealing cars, but at least they are easy to prevent with a faraday cage key fob holder. They are pretty cheap, and you can test if they work by trying to start your car with the fob in the cage - if it doesn't start, you're golden.

I was concerned that this would have been the key fob reprogramming attack used to steal Dodges. Preventing those is a lot more effort and cost than a $20 bag on amazon and the thief doesn't need to know where the key is to pull it off.

zrk

First Name
Zack
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra - Nocturnal Black
This isn't a hoax or insurance fraud. Relay attacks are very effective for stealing cars, but at least they are easy to prevent with a faraday cage key fob holder. They are pretty cheap, and you can test if they work by trying to start your car with the fob in the cage - if it doesn't start, you're golden.

I was concerned that this would have been the key fob reprogramming attack used to steal Dodges. Preventing those is a lot more effort and cost than a $20 bag on amazon and the thief doesn't need to know where the key is to pull it off.
Relay attacks are very effective for stealing cars, but I see zero evidence to show one was used in this case or not. Unless you are personally the thief, I doubt you do either.

I see the word 'think' in the article, so... Evidence or GTFO.

J29DB03

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Absolute Zero 3.0 Premium

My understanding is the Supra’s key fobs are the newer style of BMW fob that turn off after a couple minutes of being motionless to prevent thefts. They no longer constantly try to send signals which is what these relays would intercept.

NitroYellowMKV

Silver Sponsor
First Name
Phillip
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Burnout A91 MT
Is the victim not the same guy who was on the news a few months ago for paying 58k for a used 2020 white Supra with red seats and claimed the car had a whole bunch of problems lol
nah entirely different person/state lol.

gixxersixxerman

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra
As someone in the automotive security industry, I can pretty confidently say that there was no relay device used, they are getting smaller and easier to hide, but they are not pocket sized yet, and there is no backpack on this dude. It's not quite as simple as just walking up to a car and driving off. The Supra shows no signs of being unlocked. I'm not saying this is fraud, the Supra owner could've just left his key in the vehicle and the thief drove off because it was easy. But as someone that gets to play with these devices regularly i see nothing that shows anything to do with jumpers or relays.

Also anyone going to be at NADA this weekend in Vegas I should have one or two of these type devices I can demo on the side ;)

3literV8Eater

First Name
RJ
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 GR Supra
Is it possible that the theif cloned this person’s key earlier in the day or a previous day? I don’t know how these things work but could this scenario be possible? It would explain the speed in which the car was taken. Gone in 60 seconds 😂

Schang105

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 GR Supra, 2020 Porsche Macan
My neighbor's ISF got stolen this way, ran out to AutoZone and got an old school steering wheel club. Not going to stop a determined thief, but raises risk to them trying.

Jesse DaBears

Gold Sponsor
First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A90 Tungsten Supra 3.0 Premium
Relay attacks are very effective for stealing cars, but I see zero evidence to show one was used in this case or not. Unless you are personally the thief, I doubt you do either.

I see the word 'think' in the article, so... Evidence or GTFO.
no you.
Sponsored