THIS Is the Manual Toyota Supra [Official Release]

CUL8RSAM

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
BMW 340i F30 | GR Supra 3.0-MT on Order
You guys just got a sweet manual release with extra goodies and you’re arguing about the stupid eBrake that no one uses. FFS!! :doh:

-RJM
I have one on order just fyi. If I’m spending 70k canadian I have every right to complain about it. I put my money where my mouth is and I’m still buying it.
Sponsored

Hwha

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2016 ND Miata Club
New member here! Been lurking for awhile waiting patiently for the manual. Called a local-ish dealer to put in a deposit, asked specifically for the CU Later Gray A91-MT, we'll see how it goes. If it doesn't pan out I'll try for the Stratosphere Blue premium.

Sam B

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra
When I bought, I needed the refraction blue. I couldn’t do without it. I dealt w 10-12 dealers across the country. Finally I caught a break and found one in Colorado, I’m in PA. The point is, you gotta put the work in and find your car. The dealers I dealt w didn’t do what they said they would. I had to do it myself.

GMsuperfan

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
21 A91 Refraction, 68 Camaro SS, 17 GTI
When I bought, I needed the refraction blue. I couldn’t do without it. I dealt w 10-12 dealers across the country. Finally I caught a break and found one in Colorado, I’m in PA. The point is, you gotta put the work in and find your car. The dealers I dealt w didn’t do what they said they would. I had to do it myself.
It's sad but dealers today are not in the business of making lifetime customers with cars/transactions like this, with supply issues, they just take highest bidder and move on to the next. It's sad really, it used to be like...work the customer up the food chain of vehicles from (in this case) a Carolla to a say a Lexus IS or LS as they make more money in their career, etc.

XtremeMaC

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra
Didn't see this posted:
https://www.thedrive.com/news/the-toyota-supras-new-manual-is-a-tweaked-bmw-unit-from-zf

This Supra-specific gearbox even gets its own, unique transmission code within BMW's parts catalog: GS6L50TZ. For what it's worth, the code for the manual found in the overseas and less powerful BMW Z4 sDrive20i happens to be GS6L40LZ, according to this SupraMKV forum post. Per BMW transmission designation rules, the difference between "L50T" and L40L" indicates a deviation in transmission "type" and gearset. The "GS6" and "Z" bits of the codes indicate a six-speed manual and ZF as the manufacturer, respectively. For further reference, the manual found in the current M3 and M4 is designated GS6-45BZ.

Mason

First Name
Mason
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 3.0
I have one on order just fyi. If I’m spending 70k canadian I have every right to complain about it. I put my money where my mouth is and I’m still buying it.
Why are you buying a car that you complain about? Or are you just a constant complainer that is never satisfied? There’s a lot of other car options out there that might be better for you

CUL8RSAM

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Why are you buying a car that you complain about? Or are you just a constant complainer that is never satisfied? There’s a lot of other car options out there that might be better for you
No not really. Nor am I a constant complainer. I mentioned that it was a negative for me but certainly not a deal breaker but then the fanbois jump to conclusions and then you have to elaborate yourself, this is just me elaborating myself. I still like the rest of the car and I hope the sound system issue is fixed. I already own a B58 vehicle so I know the drivetrain already. You can find negatives in every car. You just have to find ones you can live with and thats the reality of life.

Cptnslo

First Name
Colton
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 MKV 3.0 Supra
Reactions: zrk

CUL8RSAM

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Concerning when they say “less powerful”
The less powerful referring to the inline 4 z4 manual. The supra’s is basically beefed up and custom tuned b48 transmission found in the euro 4cyl z4. Kind of expected but here’s to hoping its a departure from BMW feeling transmission that can handle the power that tuners are going to throw at it. At least stage 1 tunes.

splv

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2006 IS350
I'm curious to find out the rating for this Supra transmission.

GS6L50TZ - the "50" usually relates to torque rating. The current M3 and M4 transmission is designated GS6-45BZ (actually I'm finding other sources showing GS6-53BZ) and these cars currently make 473hp and 406 ft lb of torque with the Competition models making 503hp and 479 ft lb of torque.

It appears that the G8x MT and a reworked version of the F8x MT. For what it's worth. The F8x forum members indicate that their transmissions are holding up well to over 600 ft lbs of torque.

CUL8RSAM

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)

GS6L50TZ - the "50" usually relates to torque rating. The current M3 and M4 transmission is designated GS6-45BZ (actually I'm finding other sources showing GS6-53BZ) and these cars currently make 473hp and 406 ft lb of torque with the Competition models making 503hp and 479 ft lb of torque.

It appears that the G8x MT and a reworked version of the F8x MT. For what it's worth. The F8x forum members indicate that their transmissions are holding up well to over 600 ft lbs of torque.
Very true. The zf8hp50 in my 340i seems to be rated to 500 lb/ft of tq and they are known to be good till 650 to the wheels before they slip. Pbviously thats not constant and probably reduces the life significantly. But according to my friend who works on these cars. Automatic transmissions are usually are stronger just by design. The good thing is it being a manual should be easily upgradable when you need more power. The aftermarket will be good for this car.

kaiv

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
E46, E39

Do note that with the current M3/4, the manual is only offered on the base car. It's intentionally detuned to match the torque output of the previous generation (with which it essentially shares the trans and clutch).

AOZORA

First Name
Mav
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Subaru BRZ Series.Blue
Been searching and waiting for years here and finally it's here...

Does anyone have a reputable (and reasonable) Toyota dealership in NY that can handle an allocation for the A91-MT version? Will really only get this trim.

WSUPRA

First Name
Sergio
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Toyota Supra Launch Edition
For those asking for the A91-MT specifically, I’m in touch with a regional sales manager for Toyota and from our conversation it appears there are already many more deposits placed for them then there will be A91-MTs. However, most dealers are still taking deposits since there’s always a percentage of buyers that cannot move forward with the purchase for whatever reason.

Any prospective A91-MT owners who are looking to lock one in at this time should have a contingency plan in case it doesn’t work out.
Sponsored