RaceReX

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 3.0 Premium, 2009 SRF
I use a Stilo which is just around $1000

benefits: easily install Stilos own microphone and speaker (ear pads) kit. So much better than earbuds. (Kit costs extra), I instruct sometimes, so this helps me plug an intercom straight into the helmet.

can also get a hydration tube (i sometimes race open cockpit cars and endurance racing), and the helmet spine lift off kit

drawbacks: replacement visors are expensive. Hard to find tearoffs (we obviously donā€™t need them as much. Fewer dealers have them in stock to try on. When I went from my 2010 to 2020, same size, it took a bit for the stiff foam on the temple to finally conform without giving me a headache after wearing it for more than 20 minutes.

bell also makes awesome helmets. Used to use a Dominator years ago. Have always used full face helmets.
Sponsored

OP
OP
decodeddiesel

decodeddiesel

First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra, 2016 VW Tiguan, 2007 Cayman
I do kinda like the idea of having an integrated microphone and speaker. Having to shove one under my helmet is uncomfortable. Is their a standardized plug for intercom systems?

kaj

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra
Just found this thread. I have a Velocity helmet that meets all your requirements. It's okay. We'd all like an even lighter helmet. It's reasonably comfortable. My only complaint is the same I had with a Pyrotect helmet: They seem to push on my forehead a bit much. Maybe my head is too oval LOL
I haven't been in a situation, yet, where I can test fit helmets. That would be awesome.

OP
OP
decodeddiesel

decodeddiesel

First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Alright, based on responses I'm going to put together a list of helmets and see what Race Choice (literally the town across the CT River from me) carries. They don't have a showroom, but the owner is willing to make an appointment to pull some stock that I can try on.

Here's the list:
  • Simpson Devil-Rey
  • Simpson Bandit
  • Bell M8
  • G-Force Nighthawk
  • Arai?
  • Stilo?
If I can afford the CF version of any of these helmets I'll probably lean towards that as I'd really like a new helmet to be as light as possible.

Thanks for the replies!

UYCR

First Name
Ubec
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A91-MT
I'm getting the Zamp RZ-62 in orange for my next helmet, had a Racequip previously. Great bang for the buck and with your budget you could spec it out with all the extra add-ons you might like. They also have a bunch more even carbon fiber options in case you're interested in looking at everything else they offer.

https://www.zamp-racing.com/rz62

razorlab

First Name
Bryan / Briana
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Not a Corvette.
I'm getting the Zamp RZ-62 in orange for my next helmet, had a Racequip previously. Great bang for the buck and with your budget you could spec it out with all the extra add-ons you might like. They also have a bunch more even carbon fiber options in case you're interested in looking at everything else they offer.

https://www.zamp-racing.com/rz62
Never heard of these before. Interesting!

OP
OP
decodeddiesel

decodeddiesel

First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Going to test fit and purchase a helmet in a little bit.

Thank you to everyone that has replied and offered suggestions!
Sponsored