Thhirsch

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A91 edition Supra
Hey fellow Supra owners,

I'm signing up for the free track day and see I need a Snell 2000 rated helmet or better. Does anyone have any affordable options for helmets that fit these requirements? Thanks!
Sponsored

handsoffsam

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
997.2 GT3, 2021 A91, 2008 S2K CR,
Hey fellow Supra owners,

I'm signing up for the free track day and see I need a Snell 2000 rated helmet or better. Does anyone have any affordable options for helmets that fit these requirements? Thanks!
Your NASA region may have some loaners available - it's worth asking. If not, just grab one - chances are you're going to want to do more ;)
https://www.saferacer.com/collections/racing-helmets/?sort_by=price-ascending or https://store.windingroad.com/drivers/snell-sa2020-helmets?order=onlinecustomerprice:asc

Dannyvandelft

First Name
Danny
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Ordered A91 edition Supra
Get a 2015, or newer. You can find them for under $200

nibble

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
BMW, Honda, Toyota
Don't get "Bell Custom 500". It will fail NASA inspection (DOT only) and they will make you rent their helmet or no go. I do recommend getting your own helmet as I'm not a fan of rental helmets. - NASA will provide balaclava when you rent helmet though. SNELL 2015 will pass inspection but if you plan coming back to track for more than next 6 years, SNELL 2020 is better option as SNELL 2015 will not pass after 2027. Also, if it happens that you don't like coming to track, value of SNELL 2020 will hold better to resell. Most likely, you will like to come back to track and either case, SNELL 2020 is better investment in long term as its expiration is at 2032.

underdonk

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'21 Supra 3.0 Premium
Don't get "Bell Custom 500". It will fail NASA inspection (DOT only) and they will make you rent their helmet or no go. I do recommend getting your own helmet as I'm not a fan of rental helmets. - NASA will provide balaclava when you rent helmet though. SNELL 2015 will pass inspection but if you plan coming back to track for more than next 6 years, SNELL 2020 is better option as SNELL 2015 will not pass after 2027. Also, if it happens that you don't like coming to track, value of SNELL 2020 will hold better to resell. Most likely, you will like to come back to track and either case, SNELL 2020 is better investment in long term as its expiration is at 2032.
Also, you get the added benefit of better protection with the newer standards. It's not only about better longevity in this case. Given it's protecting your noggin, it's a pretty important piece of safety equipment - not something I'd recommend skimping on, cost constraints aside.

H2O_Doc

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
M240i, Wrangler, MB GLA 250
Iā€™m hoping I can revive this thread as Iā€™ll need a helmet soon, when the weather warms anyway. The preceding comments are helpful, but any advice based on some additional considerations would be appreciated.

From my motorcycle days, I remember how limiting the field of view could be on some designs. Also, I wear glasses. So, any specific suggestions for a snell approved helmet with a good to excellent field of view that is glasses friendly and closed face would be helpful.

I miss the glitter helmets from my childhood in the 70s. That right, I said it. Nostalgia. Of course, who wants to mess up their finely feathered hair with helmet-hair. No worries, keep an oversized comb in your back pocket.

I digress.

Attachments

jchadwell

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 3.0 Premium

jchadwell

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 3.0 Premium
Sorry, just noticed you want a closed face. Is there a reason why?

H2O_Doc

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
M240i, Wrangler, MB GLA 250
Sorry, just noticed you want a closed face. Is there a reason why?
Maybe not a good one. Thatā€™s what Iā€™ve always had for motorcycles and downhill mountain biking.

Oh, and Darth Vader.

happy to reconsider.

nibble

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
BMW, Honda, Toyota
Seldom it occurs. - Rock chip on windshield. closed face do provide more protection however, advantage of of open face is you can communicate /w instructor a bit better than closed face and a bit cooler in summer. I do recommend open face for beginners but would recommend closed face as they advance to push the limit of the car.

some event organizers makes sure that you close your visor when you are driving or give you black flag and miss your session. however, they will let go on open face helmet.

So depending on your level, choose right equipment.

1slow_mk5

First Name
JC
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A90 Supra. S2000. 328i
Maybe not a good one. Thatā€™s what Iā€™ve always had for motorcycles and downhill mountain biking.

Oh, and Darth Vader.

happy to reconsider.
OG RACING in Sterling VA.At least pre-covid you could try all sorts of helmet styles and sizes..
Sponsored